What's new

Olympic Figure Skating Tonight (1 Viewer)

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Sarah Hughes

I'm not a big figure skating fan, but the drama of determining who won tonight was better than the event.

US Gold

Russia Silver

US Bronze

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Sarah definately deserved to win - she had the best long program by far. I'm just disappointed that Michelle Kwan didn't win; she's been denied yet again. :frowning:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My goodness, now that was some drama!

Sarah Hughes skated the long program of her young life (only 16 years old) but she left nothing on the ice, and just skated wonderfully and didn't make any glaring mistakes.

I let out a gasp when Michelle Kwan suffered that small fall from the triple flip and the skate edge slipping out from under her. And then Irina Slutskaya almost slips on the same triple flip, but she managed to hang on, and that was probably the difference between Khan getting Bronze versus the Gold tonight.

Anyhow, it was a tension packed hour of women's figure skating.

I felt bad for Sasha Cohen because she had the most athletic jumps and rotations, but she totally botched a triple-triple that costed her a medal. She'll be one to watch in the future.

Anyone else think that Sarah Hughes looks like a young Reba McEntire?

Joel C

Screenwriter
I was happy Sarah won but sad Michelle lost. I wanted it to be gold for Michelle and silver for Sarah, then whatever (though a US sweep would've been nice).

No glaring mistakes? I didn't see Sarah make ANY major mistakes. If she had gone last and skated the same program (and the others had done the same as well), she would've gotten 5.9s and 6.0s. They score low early to leave room.

Mark_HD

Grip
definitely Sasha for gold in '06. she is by far the most artistic, graceful, fluid skater out there (reminds me of a dancer) ... and with her athletic ability, she's going to become awsome!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
That was an amazing, dramatic night. I wish they had spent a little more time explaining how the scoring came out the way it did. Don't get me wrong - I thought the results were exactly right for what we saw, but I'm not sure I could explain how they got there. ;)
If I understood it correctly, once Sarah had passed Sasha and outskated Michelle, one of these three things could have happened based on Irina's performance:
  • Irina outskates Sarah and takes the gold. Michelle gets silver and Sarah bronze.
  • Irina comes in behind Sarah & Michelle on the free program. Michelle takes gold, Irina silver, and Sarah bronze.
  • Irina outskates Michelle but doesn't catch Sarah. Sarah takes gold, Irina silver, and Michelle bronze (this is what happened)
So Sarah was going to get either bronze or gold - silver wasn't possible. Weird!!
At any rate, congrats to Sarah Hughes, who skated for the joy of it (and it showed) and was rewarded accordingly. Both Michelle & Irina looked tight and over-cautious, & I think that cost them the gold.
She's got a bit of a Reba look, but I think she looks even more like a young Cynthia Nixon (Miranda on "Sex & the City").

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
I agree, great drama. And the judges finally got something right :) During the wait for the judging, my wife and I couldn't figure out how it all worked, but I just kept saying it shouldn't matter b/c Sarah should win, and if she didn't, it would be another dark cloud on judging. Thank goodness they did the correct thing!
btw, does anyone else hate the commentators? They just plain suck, IMHO :)

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Nah. Reba is actually attractive.

Just got back from SLC. I asked a couple of scalpers about tickets to tonights match and got quotes in the range of $1,750. I didn't have an interest and could probably have gotten a better deal.

Guys, if you ever get the chance, take your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc. to watch women figure skating. You will be rewarded beyond your wildest expectations...

Then you can feel good about your hockey tickets.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
An exciting, anxious competition. But also confusing. I still don't understand the scoring or just what happened. Anyone got a "Olympic Skating for Dummies" book I can borrow? :)
she's been denied yet again
Unfortunately, she denied herself tonight :frowning:
But Sarah's program was definitely the best overall tonight. And it was great to watch an athlete who was excited to just place (and even more so at getting the Gold) -- too often athletes are disappointed at "merely" getting a Silver or Bronze.
And if you've not seen it, the 1.5km X-country skiing races were just as exciting (caught those Tues afternoon).

Doug R

Supporting Actor
This link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter...ews?id=1338353
explains how Hughes won the gold.
I thought she was fantastic and had a great attitude. I think Michelle Kwan is a fantastic skater but I think she needs some perspective. She doesn't seem very appreciative unless she's #1. She could use a dose of that 16-year old excitement.
And Ashley.. rippin' on the looks of a 16 year old girl. Come on dude, have a tad bit of respect.
Doug

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Yet AGAIN, prior to the event, the news media focused on the wrong person or in this case people. Everything was always about Michelle and Sasha with Sarah getting just a mention because she was the third skater from the US. I think the only one they got right so far was Apollo. Personally I think it's great when that happens. Just cause you're the favorite does not mean you're going to win. However, I was praying that the Russian girl would fall and bust her ass... another US sweep.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

She does look like a young Reba. I said the same thing to my wife last night. Especially now that Reba has the shorter hair cut.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Doug R.

Yeah, I'll back off on her looks. She will grow into her body and with that wonderful exhuberance of a 16 year old, will dominate this sport and the Olympics over the next four years and maybe 8. She is exactly what this sport needs and she has the potential to be a great ambassador.

Dave R.

Exciting 1.5K cross country! One of the sleeper events of the Olympics and not well followed. I am for a sport where men and women waddle around on wooden slats, fall across the finish line, cough up a lung and throw up on themselves. You know these people were actually participating in an athletic event an earned their medals. Dave-and fellow New Yorker-sorry I missed you, I was there for this event and the next day for the men's 4x7.5K Biathalon held at Soldiers Hollow.

I should have made up an HTF pin or lame T-ship to pimp our site.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
When Sarah Hughes was interviewed after she won, I couldn't help but think of Michelle from the American Pie movies. "One time at skating camp..." "One time at the olmpics, I won the gold and it was sooo fun"

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I thought Sarah came off really cool in interviews. Michelle Kwan is SOOOOOO much a diva I was rooting for her to fall on her ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks