What's new

Ok, Who's received the new w32sober mass-mailer? (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Damn those rotten virus authors!!!!!!!!
I can't seem to win with this new machine at work!!!!!!!!
I finally get my network up and running, and today I get this nasty little bug. The worst thing is, it has attatched something to my computer somewhere, that now, every time I open my Outlook, I get 4 e-mails that contain the bug!!!!!
I downloaded both NAV's tool and Mcaffee's, And tried to manually clean, all to no avail. My NAV picks it up and qaurantine's it, I just can't seem to find the registry change. (I read and re-read both of the tips on how to manually remove, and nothing seems to have glommed into my registry...but I seem to be an easier target now!!!!!!)
Any Hints??

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some new virus is making the rounds at work. The system strips out the virus, but it still delivers the carrier emails. (if it had a virus, why would I want any part of the email? Weird system.)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Twice this week. My AVG caught and quarantined it, then Norton caught it in the quarantine folder! I eventually had to go to my web-based email server and delete the offending mail myself!

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Is It specific to outlook?
I have no other mailing system.
I actually had to configure my Mcaffe to root out the trigger words/phrases. and automatically delete to junk mail.
The first day of receiving the worm, I had 4 e-mails carrying the worm every time I opened my outlook.
Today I had 19 EACH time I opened outlook.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I don't know anything about the W32.Sober worm thing but it does seem that every worm out there triggers mass mailings through Outlook. A mail client on it's own is not going to root out any received mail, but it seems Outlook is the cause of the majority of worms that use the address book to propagate. I haven't heard of any ones that target Eudora, Thunderbird, Pine, etc. etc. I use Eudora 6.2 myself.

Jay

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Outlook isn't really inherently useless - and besides, sometimes there is no choice but to use it (in organizations that use Microsoft Exchange, for instance.)

One just needs to make sure that the security settings in Outlook are restrictive, and that viruses get filtered on the computer workstation with a good antivirus program.

In an organisation, viruses should preferrably get filtered out before they reach the user; at work, for instance, I've set up a separate Unix mailserver that accepts all incoming mail and has a virus- and attachment filter that removes the nasties before they even make it onto the Exchange server.

If one is not using an Exchange server or synching the calendar/address book/to-do etc elsewhere (like to a Pocket PC) then there are better options. I like Thunderbird, myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks