What's new

OK Twisters...again : ( (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Gettin' hit by twisters. Doesn't seem to be as bad as the May 3rd '99 beast but it's taking almost an identical path. :angry:

Dillon Poole

Agent
Can't believe it went through Moore again, thats unbelievable...I'm looking to buy a house down there...nevermind now, Edmond it is!

Looks like Tinker AFB is in the clear, can't say the same for the GM plant...damn.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Hey Guys. I live in the DANGER ZONE!!!!

I live just off of 12th and Janeway in the "Notorious" city of Moore. May 3rd went about 1 1/2 blocks to the North of me, cutting a path right across our Elementary school. This one went 2 blocks southeast of me.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Kansas is being hit pretty hard. I was woken up this morning at 5am to a tornado siren and was again woken up this evening at 5:30pm from a siren. (Haven't slept in a couple of days due to finals and homework.) A tornado never hit down, but the rest of the state has been hit hard.

My mom lives in Joplin, MO and they've had some huge tornadoes in their area. Joplin isn't too far away from Pierce City which was totally destroyed. Nearly every building and house was flattened. Scary stuff!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'm in western Tennessee where we had a few F4s roll through earlier this week. Needless to say, it's been declared a disaster area. The vast majority of the damage occurred in the downtown area.

Here's a link to a gallery of pictures of damage done in the area.

It's going to take a long time to recover from this.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
We've had a half-dozen or so go right around here in the past week. We're also seeing LOTS of hail, mostly golfball-sized but there's been some softball-sized stuff in the area too. Thankfully I've been off from work for about a week. If the Continental tire plant ever gets hit by a tornado, five hundred people will be instantly pureed...

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
While I do feel bad for those that have been hit by tornadoes, I have a burning desire to actually see a twister in person. Man, I wish I had enough cash to travel to tornado alley to do myself some storm chasin'!

I find the weather and, specifically, tornadoes fascinating. I'd love to see at least one severe thunderstorm one day!

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Jeff, there was a tornado siren this morning? Wow, I must have been sleeping very well.

That one this evening sucked. I was at work and we had to hang out in the back hallways of the mall.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Casey, there sure was. I had just gone to bed at 4am from doing homework and the sirens woke me up 1.5 hours later. At about 6am I went back to bed and slept until 7am. Not fun taking a two tests in one class with only 2.5 hours of sleep!

Brian, I feel the same way as you. While tornadoes are scary, I'd give anything to see one, from a distance. I've lived in tornado alley all of my 23 years and have yet to see one. I do love all of the thunderstorms we've had though. I could listen to them and watch the lightning all day. I guess that's why I own about 5 different thunderstorm cds.

PhilipW

Second Unit
You guys are nuts. I went through the '99 F5-6 and there isn't anything fun about it. Scariest damn moment of my life. When I walked out front there were dead animals, others roaming about in shock. There was a small colt running down the street covered head to hoof in mud and the closest horse paddock is 1/2 to 3/4 mile away. Twister made it look fun and neat but in real life people die from these things.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Nevermind it looks like after doing some research that its theoretically possible to have an F6 in the center of an F4 or F5 tornado but not likely or even less likely they could prove it.

Too bad there isnt a way to shoot a missle or something into the torando/funnel cloud breaking it up and stopping the tornado. Has anyone heard about scientists looking at ways to stop the severe funnels that are created?

Sorry to hear about all of you in the path of the Tornados.

KyleS

PhilipW

Second Unit
Kyle,

Supposedly an F5 has winds upto 300mi per hr. The one in 99 had them clock at around 320. So they thought that could have been possibly the first recorded F6. Who knows.

As far as breaking them up. If they could do that, they would put alot of weathermen out of business here in the midwest. The weathermen at our local stations are probably some of the highest paid in the nation. They are more interested in knowing more about how to predict them and track them. That's why they've installed cameras all around the city so you can have live TV of peoples homes and lives being destroyed for the greater entertainment of others. They're not interested in thinking about actually stopping them. They're mother nature vacuum cleaner.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Lawrence got hit yesterday... not a real big one but enough to rip a few roofs off and throw a few cars around. There was softball sized hail in the KC area and eastern Mo last night also.

More storms predicted for tonight... hopefully no super cells.

I used think seeing a tornado would be cool, but after having that opportunity a few years ago, I hope I never see another one.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
John Thomas is right... Jackson got blasted by tornadoes Sunday nightMonday morning. Poor Jackson has had bad luck with tornadoes in the past few years.

My parents house (North Jackson) was hit in November... they had to have a new roof put on the house, plus, the "heavily wooded" back yard now consists of about 3 trees.

Back in 99, South Jackson got hit hard. 10 people died and the south part of the city was in shambles. I volunteered in the cleanup effort then, and after 7 days, it seemed like the cleanup effor would never end.

They are saying that the damage from this set makes the 99 damage pale in comparison. If I wasn't 1200 miles away, I'd volunteer again in a heartbeat. But, Jackson is going to take a long time to recover.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
There goes a saying about Oklahoma weather... "Wait around a moment if you don't like it because it will change".

We've avoided them in Tulsa so far but it's bound to happen sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks