What's new

Ok, so let's say that the XBOX doesn't do well in Japan ... (1 Viewer)

Frederick

Second Unit
After reading about the reception it got in Japan, assuming it doesn't get any better, what will that mean for us? For Microsoft? Will it fall the way of the Neo Geo? Can the XBOX survive without strong support from Japan? Given it's specs and capabilities, not to mention the numbers in the US alone, shouldn't it have a strong enough base to survive the console wars and bring in developers?

Freddy C.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, it should bring in developers in droves simply because it's the best piece of hardware on the market. Graphics and processing power aside, being able to develop on a machine with a built in hard drive, built in broadband, and great development tools that are straightforward to use should be a major selling point. When you add more memory, processing power, and graphical power to the mix, you have a machine that should win hands down.

Sadly though, I really think it'll take a couple of years for the box to really catch on. If it was anyone besides Microsoft, I wouldn't have bought into it, but I can't think of a single market that Microsoft has decided to enter into where they've lost (and the internet battle isn't over yet).

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
Frederick ,where did you read about the XBOX status from Japan?

Also Chris didn't Microsoft just pull out of the (TIVO Type) set top Box battle ? What was the name of it? I saw it advertised at Best Buy when it came out.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 is already doing amazing in Japan, the GameCube is already out and doing pretty good, and both are close enough to the power of the X-Box where raw power is not going to matter that much in a developer's decision to make games. Why would a Japanese developer NOT make a game for the X-Box? Because its a brand new console, there are two others that have bigger markets already, the console has the least chance of success, and even though its REALLY powerful and probably the best one (quality wise), they will only make games for it if it makes them a LOT of money. It makes sense to go where there is a big audience (GCN, PS2) instead of where there is just some potential (X-Box).

So in other words, its a popularity contest that Nintendo and Sony have already won. MS needs to buy some deals to get some big name games and establish themselves as a serious company that can bring people the things they want. All they have right now is potential without an audience, and to developers, potential means nothing without and audience.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how reputable this site is since it's kind of new, but it doesn't look good for the X-box.
Link Removed

Frederick

Second Unit
Ken, I was referring to some of the information I read on this forum. I didn't read anything "official" about the XBOX getting a cold reception. Ijust wanted to know the ramifications if it were so ...

Freddy C.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Did I miss something: Why didn't Microsoft Have Halo at Launch in Japan?
Because it is commonly known that the Japanese do not like FPS games. They have never really bought into the FPS genre. If anything Microsoft was intelligent not trumpeting Halo as there premiere game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
To further back that statement up, Perfect Dark and GoldenEye 007 for Nintendo 64 sold millions in America, but I think I read somewhere that they both struggled to break 500,000 in Japan.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Hmm, well from what my friends over there have been telling me the launch has been a complete success with quite a positive buzz to go along with it. I don't think they are going to have too many problems doing well over there. Give it a couple weeks and you'll be seeing the "we can't build them fast enough" type news.

Dean

DonWinzen

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it is odd. The site posted earlier by Eric said that the XBOX was selling poorly on Friday but by today (Sunday) the console wasn't selling well but the games were selling out. The site is actually a forum not a news site. The poster at that site "ronald" said he wasn't sure if they just didnt have very many games available because they didnt want to get "stuck".

We will have to wait until there are credible sources out there.

I have had my XBOX since a week after it came out and there isn't a really good reason for it to fail except for two reasons, 1. Microsoft's unpopular reputation for being so successful and 2. The Japanese have a problem with anything that isn't Japanese (electronics wise) especially American made.

I am sad to see so many Americans being the same way.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Microsoft needs a presence in Japan. They need to try and attract the Japanese development community to the xbox. More than any other region, a single game can sell systems in Japan. Without DOA3, the xbox would be a lame duck . We'll have to wait and see how many systems it can move for microsoft.

The japanese have odd tastes in games. On the ps2, Crash Bandicoot : Wrath of Cortex outsold Sony's Jak and Daxter, a far superior title. Capcom's Maximo has also done poorly. They love their rpgs, fighting games, mech games, but, their tastes are not nearly as diverse as the North American and European markets. Even within a genre they like, they can ignore a title. Zone of Enders, and Ring of Red from Konami were two mech-based titles that tanked.

The japanese market is too fickle for even the established players to deal with anymore. Don't be surprised if considerable japanese developer support emerges for the xbox, just to spread the risks out for peculiar japanese tastes.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Besides DoA3, most Japanese people probably can't justify shelling out the cash. Sega still has to bring some games to it, and most people already have a PS2 and/or GameCube, so they don't need or want an X-Box.

Eventually, they will want one, and when they do, it will be there. But right now, not many people want them.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Japanese have all kinds of genres that never see the light of day here, and the XBox lacks games in those genres. Dating sims, Dance & Rhythem(just starting to hit in the US), huge console-style RPGs (which only Japanese developers make properly), great weird little games (one of my faves of all time is Cooking Fighter on PSX). Without those genres, forget it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks