What's new

Ok, so do both DLPs and LCDs give out in a couple years or what? Help! (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Well, it looks like I can finally get a nice HDTV to replace my 36" Sony CRT. I will likely purchase one in the beginning of August, at a 46-52" widescreen around $2300-$2700.

Now. Im pretty new when it comes to display technologies, and I have a question. Do DLP bulbs burn out in a couple years, and LCDs give out as well? I have read that LCDs lose their color over time, and a DLP bulb must be replaced every three years or so. Are LCDs fixable?

I will use this TV mostly for hi-def gaming, so any advice you could give me would be fantastic (ie recommendations). I had my heart set on a DLP, but the rainbows drive me crazy, and I wanted an LCD until I read about the colors over time. I really want a TV that will last at least four or five years without any huge problems (or is that not reasonable?)

Thanks in advance!

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Yes, you will have to replace the bulb in both DLP and RPLCD but I wouldn't worry about losing any color. A RPLCD should be fine for many more than the 4-5 years that you're looking at. If you're worried, just get an extended warranty. My extended warranty covers replacement bulbs and will replace my TV if I get so much as a single dead pixel.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I've heard a lot of mixed reports on decaying LCD panels.

DLP won't color fade.

In my experience, long use of LCDs will cause the panel to decay (poor color and contrast. Delaminating optical blocks.)

That said, I have an LCD projector at home too - I just won't use one at work.

But yes, all lamps will die, no matter what.

Leo Kerr

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Ah, I see. So extended warrenties do cover replacement bulbs...interesting...

OK, thanks guys, I appreciate it!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
be careful with extended warranties. I doubt they cover bulbs. A lot of times extended warranties are really not very helpful at all. Understand thoroughly what you are buying, and know that you are betting your money that your set will fail in some way that is covered by the warranty, which is usually more limited than they want you to think. Also, do not let them explain what's covered, many times they'll just say "yeah, yeah that's all covered" when it isn't at all. Read what's in writing.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

As has been said you will have to eventually change out the bulb in whatever type of set you buy. I got an extended warranty that states that they do cover the cost of replacing the bulb but for only 2 times. And in my case since the bulb is user serviceable they will send me the new bulb to put in but I have to do it myself.

So the bottom line is ask them specifically what the warranty covers and if they say they cover bulb replacements ask them if that includes the labor to replace it or just the bulb. Also, make sure the bulb replacement is in writing.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Ok, sounds good. I will definitely read up on the warrenties.

Thanks again! I am really excited knowing that two months from now, Ill be gaming in hi-def. :D

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I'm surprised that any warrantee on the unit covers the lamp.

Oh, most lamps have their own 'premature failure' warrantee - very often prorated over the life of the lamp - but warranteing a consumable?

Leo

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Despite what some of you seem to think, some warranties do cover replacement bulbs. I have a Circuit City warranty and it does indeed cover replacement bulbs. However, like Parker said, they will send you the bulb and you will need to replace it yourself. Not a big deal to me since it's easily done.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

You also need to go look at a bunch of them at different locations. What may look really good in one place can make the same set look terrible in another.

Also, ask them to give you different feeds to the set. That is have them show you standard definition, DVD, gaming and a HiDef feed. Some places will only show you the HiDef feed that they have so ask them if they won't show you any other feed find out how many days you can have it in your own place and still return it for full credit. That way if you get the set home and you don't care for it in your own environment you can return it.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
From what I have read about color degradation on LCD's, it happens only from abuse of LCD panels, not from regular day-to-day use. And this is not ever been shown to happen in RP-LCD systems like used in these TV sets.

Personally, I would worry more about rainbows and eye strain on DLP sets than about potential color degradation on LCD sets.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The Panel degradation happens in LCD front projectors far more quickly than RP units.

Ventilation and the heat of the bulb have a lot to do with how fast it occurs.

I've seen the start of the degradation on some FP units after only 600 hours ... and it gets progressively worse by 1500 hours and 2000 hours. The blue goes away and the image turns more green / yellow.

It is fixable though and should cost much less than a bulb.

I've seen the beginnings of LCD degradation on a few 1st generation Sony LCD RP units from 2001 era ... but this is many 1000's of hours out. These units must have over 4000 hours on them.

Regards

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
That's even better. Call them before the extended warranty expires, say your bulb failed and they will send you a new one. :D

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Thanks again, I will definitely be checking out the rear projection units.

Wow, Im glad I asked here first!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks