What's new

OK! Its May 1, 2002. Who has their HDTV????? (1 Viewer)

AngioDan

Grip
Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Naples Florida Area
Fox went digital (480p) last year only in the evenings. Sometimes they would forget to flick the switch, and you would have to call them to do so! I know this because a friend of mine lives next door to the owner of the station.
Everyone else is dragging their feet.
As much as I would love to actually see some hi def on my tv, I think its going to be a while.:frowning:
Have Dish Network, but can't see spending $400 on a STB for HBO and Showtime. It's a shame they don't carry HDNet. When my year with Dish is up this August, may think about Directv since they have HDNet, but all this merger talk makes me wonder if its worth spending money on equipment I may have to change or upgrade.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Here in Orlando, we have:

CBS- lots of content

ABC- more and more content, not as much as CBS, though

NBC- Leno and Crossing Jordan (Olympics were, too)

FOX- faux HD in 480p, although the local sends it out at 1080i upconverted

WB- all upconvert to 1080i

UPN- same as WB, IIRC

On TWC Cable, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and PBS-HD (National feed), in addition to those listed above. We've been promised Discovery HD on TWC in June.

Looking good here. Now all we need is CONTENT!

Todd

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
In Chicagoland, it seems that it's only certain shows are in HDTV (Er, Rose Bowl Parade, etc.). The key thing to remember though, is that most (over 99.9%) of what HDTV signal you get is not filmed with a HDTV camera. There are only something like 8 in the world right now. Hence, most folks are still deciding to wait on HDTV because the technology still does not seem to be there at a decent price, the source is crap (no carmeras except the Rose Bowl,) "if I can't get it on cable ( or digital cable,) I don't want it".... I think most of the local affiliates are fighting it because did you see the Rose Bowl Parade? Man, those announcers looked like they had hit the wall hard (makeup won't hide what's wrong when you see it that clearly), plus the flies buzzing around their heads didn't look too good either.

A local radio guy here (Steve Dahl for those of you around here) puts on a HDTV show (I think it's HDTV planet) and it is amazing according to a friend of mine. They filmed the whole thing with a HDTV camera, and it is awesome.

This may also be why the mighty FCC is holding off on giving your local affiliates crap. Instead, the FCC wastes their time fining shows over content, and that seems to be their only agenda.

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
The key thing to remember though, is that most (over 99.9%) of what HDTV signal you get is not filmed with a HDTV camera. There are only something like 8 in the world right now.
I don't think that's quite accurate, but I realize it was supposed to be sarcastic ;)
Most, if not all HDTV shows, are either shot directly on HDCAM, or if they are filmed, have a HD transfer made.
HBO does do allot of standard def upconverts, but you can tell....
-Ryan

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
We're still waiting on WB and UPN here. But both say they will be up soon, and are only delayed due to hardware difficulties (e.g., not that they're too cheap to buy the equipment!) By mid-summer, hopefully both will be up.

HSN is broadcasting digitally (they I think it's changing to a Spanish channel? No. I don't care...)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Here in San Diego the following network affiliates are broadcasting a digital OTA signal:

ABC - 720p HD

CBS - 1080i HD

NBC - 1080i HD (though, the station has had some problems and frequently broadcasts in 480i)

WB - digital 480i

FOX - 480p

KPBS - 720p HD ONLY channel with piggybacked 480i channel

Local station KUSI has filed an extension.

The best part is that I can receive ALL of these channels with a attic mount CM antenna/rotor.

Mark

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
In carthage, NY the mostly analog "Digital cable" still looks like snowt crap most of the time. If we can't do cable right, I have no hopes for HD-quality digital picture + sound to ever get to my tv, except by way of DVD, DVHS, or HD-DVD(when finally used).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks