What's new

OK I have everything picked out. What do you think? (1 Viewer)

Josef_K

Agent
This is my first home theater system and i want to know what you think.
Pioneer Reciever
http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...t=4&e=11062760
Bose speaker (i wasnt sure if i should get these but they sounded the best. and they really arent expensive at all.)
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=15&scat=23
I already own a DVD player but i think i wanted a new update one and i saw this and i like it alot.
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...at=32&scat=244
Any suggestions?
the reciver needed to have 2 component inputs switch able.and 2-3 s-video inputs and one conponent output.

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the HTF. This is a great place to learn from some of the best minds in HT.
Regardless of the responses that you will be receiving from your post, make sure that you are happy with your selection of gear because you must live with it. Regarless,
eek.gif
You may want to reconsider your speaker choice
eek.gif

Research, listen to the sound advice you will receive here, and then go an spend some time shopping.
I am looking forward to hearing what you ultimately go with
icon14.gif

Josef_K

Agent
Thanks.
Iam sorta new here but iv been a memeber for a few months now.
yeah i was still kinda unsure about the speakers also.
its the major thing im having a hard time deciding on.
Why should i reconsider the bose speakers?
they are only about $550. and didnt sound to bad. infact i think they sounded the best over at best buy. but of course im going to still look around.
any suggestions? on a 6 piece speakers like that? highest ill go is maybe $600-700 including the subwoofer.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I dated a BOSE rep for a while and bought her factory demos, so I have experience in A/B testing. I brought home some Energy Take 5's when they first came out (based on a mag review). I demo'd them side by side next to the BOSE and they blew the BOSE away. I sold them BOSE for $80 more than the Take 5's cost with sub.
SInce then Energy has come out with the second generation of the Take 5's. The original can probably be purchased with the 8inch sub within your price range.
Also, you should consider definitve technology's HT in a box speaker system. The best place to demo products is in your home enviroment. Find a mid-level dealer, who wants to take the time to educate you and allows home demos of product. A good dealer realizes that has interest and finances grow...so will the HT bug. My upgrade path is littered with some good and some bad products..but it's a well-worn path.
wink.gif

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
Here are a couple of informative websites you should read about Bose speakers.
http://www.geocities.com/trustnoho/boseframes.html
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ebusenitz/bs.html
You will be much better off sticking with speakers from companies like B&W, Klipsh, PSB, Paradigm, Definitive Technology, Monitor Audio, Mirage, Boston Acoustics, and a host of others that you can read about on this site. There is a reason most audio enthusiasts don't discuss Bose. Read around this forum and see what speakers are discussed. Then go out and audition some of them at local dealers in your area. Good luck!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
They are right, Best Buy isn't really the best place to demo things. I agree that the Energy Take 5's are one of the best sub/sat systems for the money. Definitive technology is the best sounding sat/sub system I have ever heard. You should find a higher end H/T store near you and take a listen to the gear there. It will change your opinion on BB, CC, and other retail stores.

Josef_K

Agent
Energy Take 5's check
where you testing the bose i picked out?
definitve technology's HT in a box speaker system. i will look into it.
one thing i hate is ultimite electronics becasue the sales ppl are jerks since they work on comission.
any other tips would be very welcomed.
i have by X-Mas time to pick everything out. but the speakers are a big deal and i want to get them right.

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
If you look at the 1st link I provided, the creator of that website has prepared a list of Bose alternatives with prices. I'm not sure how up to date his table is, but it will give you a decent idea of what is out there.

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to consider a number of the online speaker deals. No, you won't be able to hear them before you buy, but I think you will find that many, if not all will provide more bang for the buck, and provide a return policy if you don't agree. Home Theater Direct has two speaker packages that are below the Bose price point and this package http://store.yahoo.com/htd/leveltwo51set.html would probably give you better sound quality than anything that you can find at BB. The $149 package is a hell of a deal also, and would put the Bose am to shame.
Do a search on 'budget speakers' and you should come up with some very good information.
BTW, you will want a rear center speaker with that receiver choice, so take that into consideration also.
Later . . .

Josef_K

Agent
well i fell inlove with bose when i went to this demostration of the Bose Lifestyle 30 system at Frys electronics but of course those are way to expensive for what you get.
The only palces i have around me that i know about is Electronic frys (but they might be any better then bestbuy)
maybe circut city, there is Ultimite Electronics but i hate the way the employees act to me.

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
Truly do some more listening, and do direct comparisons if you can, I think you will be muce more satisfied. My experiance with Bose has only been with the more expensive models (LifeStyle 25). And although some members of my family were quite impressed, it was more because what they were hearing was in surround sound, rather then sound quality. The only thing they really compared it to was the speakers on the TV, and not supprisingly the Bose sounded 'increadable'.
*sigh*

Sometimes people just don't think. . .
My Aunt got one because they are 'popular'
My Uncle got one for the only good reason to buy Bose, they are small and white and thus have a very high SAF.
And then tragicaly my father got one because his brother and sister had one, and without comparing it to anything else, he just figured taht for $2499 They have got to sound damn good. Needless to say this would not have happened if I had still been around. . .

So make sure you listen around, I would say do an A/B with the Bose and something else, but I have found that you can't really do that. . . .
From my experiance, the Bose are never next to any other speakers, and for good reason too. . . .
From the details of the AM 6 Series 2 you were looking at. .
"Frequency Response - Not rated"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[Edited last by Vietor on November 12, 2001 at 04:49 PM]

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
There have to be some hifi dealers around Phoenix. You could post a seperate thread on this board and ask any Phoenix members to direct you to their favorite dealers. As has been suggested, you could also check out the online speaker choices like Nohr, Ascend, Axiom, and HTD. They would all be better than Bose.

Josef_K

Agent
im glad i posted on these boards and got great advice. i have herd things about bose not being that great and i really dont think they are that great anymore. i will do alot more looking around and hearing.
i think i might just look around alot pick out the ones i like the most. search online for prices and then come here and ask about them. yeah i do feel kinda confinded with only BB and CC becasue all they sell are Bose and JBLs i havnt even seen and herd more the half the brands you guys are talking about.
Thanks alot everyone.
another thing i dislike about ultimate electronics is that they seem over priced. but i really hate when i walk into a electronic store and the slaes men are like car dealers. Im going to check around my area for more stores.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I know salespeople are a drag and they push and push. Don't let them push you around. Tell them to demo things for you (it's their job). You make the decision. After hearing what you like, check some online prices. Ebay is also a great resource. You can get things well under retail. Some vendors however do not sell online(Paradigm, Definitive Technology), so you either have to get lucky on ebay or pay the retail price. Don't rush into your decision. Listen, then do your research when you get home. Look for the best deals and stop by here for advice.

Josef_K

Agent
Another thing is I would like to buy them all together if that is possible
at ultimate electronics it seems like they sell each speaker seperatly for about $150 a speaker. plus the guy didnt seem to want to really help me as much he wanted to sell them to me.
i really do get pissed when ppl dont help me. if they start pushing me around i just walk right out of the store. iv done it a few times with car dealers.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
If you feel best buy is a good place to purchase from, look at the JBL nsp1 speakers. They come highly regarded in their price range. You probably could start a topic on this alone.

J

John Morris

I agree with Trey. I just bought the JBL NSP-1 setup from J&R for only $299 delivered. Now all I need is to find a really cheap Sony WFM-40 sub and that room is set! :)
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Josef_K

Agent
yeah i think i was those JBLs there. i was considering those actually.
didnt they come with a sub?
are those are better then the bose performance wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks