What's new

Ohhhhhh, the AGONY!!! (1 Viewer)

Travis Cain

Stunt Coordinator
On Monday my amp from MCM arrived.. 360 watt plate amp for $135.. I went to Adire and bought my Tempest and 2 pr-15's, and various places for box materials.. Busted my hump all week building this monster EBS alignment modified to front firing.. Building went well, got it all caulked & stuffed, and installed everything...

Hooked it up, turned it on to the auto-on mode... lights come on on the remote panel red. All is good.... So I think..

I pop in a cd and as soon as the amp receives the input signal from the receiver it goes THUMP, like the power-on pop thing, but then nothing. lights on the remote panel are green when it auto-on's.. The remote control works the panel motorized knobs fine. But no signal. Tried w/ crossover freq at max and went all the way up/down with the volume knob and not a peep out of it.. I turn the amp back off/on and it makes the thump every time it powers up.. so obviously speaker connection is good. I tried switching interconnects and nothing. Tested receiver-out signal and it's there.. Plus that it powers on the amp when it's in auto mode shows that its getting a signal. tried manual-on mode but nothing..

I am soooooooooo angry, frustrated, and heartbroken..

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Have you double/triple checked your wiring. Make sure you didn't wired the coils out of phase. If you're sure you haven't, try each voice coil seperately and see if you get anything. You can also try the amp at a low level on a speaker you know is working and try the driver on an amp you know is working (using one voice coil any receiver shouldn't have a problem getting a little output).

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
That stinks, at least you can probably get a replacement if the amp is defective.

That reminds me when I bought a used 1000W car audio amplifier from the "HTF Hardware" section. I wired everything with my tempest and made all the initial precautions and adjustments. The bass sounded fine in my car for about 5 minutes until the amp caught fire and died a horrible death.

So look at the bright side, at least you didn't waste over $200 in 5 minutes.

Travis Cain

Stunt Coordinator
WHEW!!!!!!

I figured out the problem.. It was the wiring going from the front remote panel that connects to the amp.. It had enough connection to power up the lights and motors but the crucial audio connection didn't make it.. Once I mated the connectors fully, all was good.. DANG that was a crappy scare, thinking I was going to have to wait while I send it in to be repaired/replaced (Shipping takes a week one way)..

Now.. I just can't wait for daytime.. The audition is scheduled.. :D

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Forget about daytime. Juice up that thing, everyone's going to think its an earthqake!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks