What's new

Oh, those slippery people (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
"Stop making sense!"

Well, today I started listening to the Talking Heads. I never gave them a second notice, because until recently I had an aversion to 80s music, and "new wave" and pop in particular. But the Police on the radio and re-listening to my King Crimson Discipline-era CDs got me checking out David Byrne and crew.

I picked up three of their albums used: Fear of Music, Remain in Light, and Speaking in Tongues.

I love the first track off Fear of Music. Not only is it a cool tune with some tight arrangements, it's got Robert Fripp making a guest appearance. The rest of the album is pretty strong, too. I'm couldn't get into the last couple of tracks, but I've only listened to it once.

Remain in Light starts off strong and is on and off, though more "on" than "off." The rhythms and percussion are more involved than I expected.

I'm listening to Speaking in Tongues now. It's a bit "quirkier" than the other two, but more spacious and more "pop."

I'm digging the whole chaotic sound they have, as if they just smushed a bunch of stuff together. One also has to like David Byrne, which I would imagine is one of those "love it or hate it" deals. Listening to Adrian Belew prepped me for this stuff, so I'm well conditioned for Byrne.

I plan on getting their first two albums also at some point.

Any thoughts, comments, questions, exclamations, declamations, and other verbalizations?

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
You're hooked. I'm a big Heads fan from their early shows on the floor of bars.

You MUST get the Stop Making Sense DVD. Now, today, run out and get it. You will NOT regret it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Jeff beat me to it, but it bears repeating. The "Stop Making Sense" concert DVD needs to be in every rock fan's collection. It is perhaps the best filmed concert I've ever seen.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Yeah, get the DVD.

I first saw it in a repetory theater. I didn't care much about Talking Head then either. I went because the film was highly acclaimed from a cinematic perspective.

Needless to say, I'm now a fan. Stop Making Sense is my most watched DVD.

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
...and the DVD does cover quite a bit of material from the three albums our new "convert" purchased. Highly energized musical performance coupled with stlyish staging and astute cinematography. No MTV style "quick cuts", no edited songs, no added sequences or useless offstage material (all concert performance) and multiple soundtracks (5.1 Theatrical mix sound like a concert and 5.1 Studio sounds like a live album - the studio is much clearer, but the gritty concert sound wins hands down IMHO).

Still my best concert DVD (but I do admit - that the Springsteen DVD only loses because of the cinematography on SMS).

MatS

Screenwriter
in addition to the dvd (highly recommended), might I also suggest picking up the "Stop Making Sense" soundtrack. Make sure you get the 'Special New Edition' version that was issued a couple of years ago. It has songs from the movie that were not on the original issue.

ps. the sound on this disc is one of the best you will find, simply amazing

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I think you just picked up three of their four best albums (the fourth being Stop Making Sense). IMHO, their earlier stuff is mildly interesting, but not essential. Of the later material, I would recommend Naked and True Stories. David Byrne's solo material is also good, but varying in style.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You've definitely foundthe three seminal works by the band. The earlier stuff is interesting and fun, the later stuff is a waste of plastic (IMO). From "Fear" through "Tongues" they really had something going.
Remain In Light is the Talking Head's greatest work. Listen a few more times, it is truly brilliant. Notice who's playing guitar on the album?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Remain In Light is the Talking Head's greatest work. Listen a few more times, it is truly brilliant. Notice who's playing guitar on the album?
Oh, believe, I saw Belew's name in the liner notes before I saw David Byrne's. I knew he played with them, just didn't know which album until I got it. Remain in Light is, for now, my favorite of the three, though I am liking Fear of Music much, too.
So, should I get the DVD?;)
I might get it after I finish collecting and digesting their albums. I do plan on picking up their first two, as I like Psycho Killer and Take Me To the River.
Speaking the Tongues is my least favorite of the three that I have right now, but it's still alright. Sometimes it gets a bit too "pop" for my tastes.
King Crimson has lots of connections to Talking Heads and David Bowie. My dad likes the Talking Heads, too, so any band apprecieted by those folks makes my take notice. However, I still can't bring myself to get into Bowie. I strongly dislike any song of his I've ever heard. Oh well, to each his own.

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
Mike--

Have you tried "Heroes" or really any of Bowie's late 70's stuff? Fripp plays guitar on Heroes and Belew played guitar with Bowie on tour (Stage) and on Lodger. These (along with Low) are Bowie's best, IMHO. Give 'em a try.

Also--Fripp played on Scary Monsters.

tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks