What's new

***Official Zelda:The Wind Waker - Your thoughts here... Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Kim, take the high road whenever possible. As it were.

I empathize, I was stuck in that place for at least two and a half hours trying to get out.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mark

My wife just gave me the okay to purchase a GC - today!!! I mentioned Zelda, Mario, and Metroid....and that pretty much sold her on the idea.

I have a slew of GC stuff in my cart (including Zelda) over at ebgames.com - just haven't pulled the trigger yet on placing the order...

Chriss M

Second Unit
i also get those vertical bars in 480p. Haven't tried interlaced mode yet, anyone know if there is any difference?

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
I have only a couple of minor gripes with this game (the lines in 480p included), but there is SO MUCH to love! I started playing it yesterday when I got home from work at 3:30pm and the next thing I knew, it was 11:00pm. I had completely forgotten about dinner.

Very few games have ever done that to me.

KennB

Grip
Dither
I prolly won't get this answered since i'm not bashing fran or praising the site, but i'll try anyways.

I couldn't help but notice that when playing Wind Waker in progressive scan that whenever there was fog, it became clearly interlaced(I could see lines). I was wondering if you have experienced this problem with the game or whether I just have a screwed up copy. All the other games work fine on my HDTV. Thanx.

P.S. I give up...fran is a girly girl

Matt responds: It's called 'dithering' and there's a lot of it in Wind Waker, especially noticeable in dark spots. This is basically a technique to create additional colors or shades from an existing color palette. But oftentimes it makes visible the horizontal lines you see on the screen, too.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was supposed to be like the watercolor background of an animated cartoon :D

But that's just me ;)

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I'll have to jump in with the very satisfied, but not too much different than OoT crowd. I've played about 3 hours and love the game, but it seems too much like OoT to me. I'm really impressed with the graphics and the solid gameplay, I really like the humor of the game too ("splish, splish, kaboom!").

But when I think about it, if they changed the formula, it wouldn't be Zelda. Kind of like Mario Sunshine, basically a fancy version of the N64 game, but what can be changed that wouldn't ruin the game? Either way, it's a fantastic game and a job well done by Nintendo.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Well, when it comes to sneaking around I am patient but just impatient afterwards from frustration. I got all the way to the part where you must stand against the wall and get those hearts but the lights are on the wall..must..find..bastard..controlling lights. :)

Great fun.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
I love this game. :emoji_thumbsup: Like vintage Disney come to life! And in terms of evolving and polishing the patented Zelda gameplay (which TOOT brought to the 3rd dimension), it rocks from my corner. You keep what is obviously a genius interface from the N64 game, and add innovations like picking up enemy objects, defense moves, new offensive moves, bags to carry different objects, etc... Good stuff! And sailing is nothing like riding your horse in Hyrule field (Though that was great too). Truly a unique and awe-inspiring videogame sensation! I love just how vast and free it feels to be out there in the middle of an ocean. And when the stormy skies come in...... Just sublime videogaming.

While the graphics are definitely the dominant story here, this isn't just a visual make-over. It really feels and looks like an interactive, wonderful animated feature, which changes everything in terms of an emotional experience. It also makes for a more populated, living-breathing world.

While Ocarina is a great game, I don't think I can look at it quite the same way again. It's *caveman* to me now. ;)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Peter,

The wallet upgrade comes from one of the great fairies - though I dont remember exactly which one (its not the one on links home island).

JQ

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
So far it's pretty cool though that blurring is very annoying. Still the camera system is much improved which was my biggest gripe with OoT. So far I'm really digging it.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I like the blurring, but the vertical bars have begun to annoy me to no end. I'm gonna try 480i for tonight.

-Dave

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
I finally beat the first dungeon. It was the second of the three moblins that I couldn't find for the longest time.

And that was extremely frustrating. I enjoy figuring out puzzles. What I don't enjoy is getting stuck in a game just because I didn't turn left at some point.

I have no sense of direction. There, I admit it.

- kim

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Kim, seriously, don't sweat it, that place is excessively confusing. You'll find the next dungeon much more fun and easier to negotiate, I believe. I did anyway. Good puzzles coming up :).

Adam_Garris

Supporting Actor
I just got to Windfall Island and came across that Tingle guy: Should I let him out or he is going to keep following me and be annoying?

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Adam:
See my response to someone else's similar question on the spoilers thread.
He pretty much just gives you a couple of items and goes along on his way.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from
the sunken Hyrule Castle where I got the Master Sword
and I must say... this is becoming my favorite Zelda game of all time. The whole size of the game is so EPIC :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Finally started the game today, and I haven't had a chance to read most of this thread. . . .

I'm not boasting or anything, so don't take this the wrong way, but where were people having problems with the Forsaken Fortress? I guess I got lucky, but I didn't even have a hitch. I didn't turn off the third spotlight, though. I saw the path to do it, I think, but I went the other way and wasn't able to go back. Did I miss anything by not going there?

I'm enjoying the game--just finished the second dungeon--but I don't yet like it as well as Majora's. It seems a lot more like OOT, in that you don't have a home base. I liked that about Majora's. Also, ocean travel seems like it will get tedious real quick. Still, the dungeon design has been exceptionally strong thus far.

One little gripe, though: WHY do they do that annoying thing where they replay Link going through certain doors? It happens several times in the first dungeon. Link opens the door and I run outside. Flash to a cinematic of Link opening the door and stepping outside. :confused: That pulls me out of the game a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks