What's new

***Official World Series Thread***: Diamondbacks vs. Yankees - your pick? (1 Viewer)

Jin E

Second Unit
Now it's time for the Sandman. Lights out, Diamondbacks!
Go Yanks!
Weauxf Gods strike again!!! Great series. Only way it could hae been better would be if my Braves were playing in it. Anyhoo... I'm glad to see any NL team win! DH's are for wusses. The series reminded me a lot of the Braves/Twins series in 1991... now THAT as a intense series... five of the seven games were decided by one run, five games decided in the last at-bat, and three games going into extra innings. Congrats Dbacks.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Wow, the Diamondbacks got to Rivera! Although the Yanks were only winning 2-1 going to the bottom of the ninth, I thought they would win with Rivera in there. However, Rivera looked human tonight. Give the Diamondbacks credit. I enjoyed what Bob Brenly, the Diamondbacks manager, said to Curt Schilling on the mound when Brenly went to the bullpen. He said not to worry about Soriano's home run because it wouldn't beat the Diamondbacks. He said the Diamondbacks would get the run back and go from there. How right he was.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
What a great series. Glad to see the DBacks make and and Shilling and Johnson getting Co-MVP. I think Shilling should have won that even if they had lost tonight after those 3 outings of his.
Can't wait for next year's playoffs.
------------------

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
To answer a previous poster's question (from page 7 I believe), the 1990 WS only had *one* MVP, the Reds' Jose Rijo.
Oh and YAY DIAMONDBACKS!

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
5:20 am over here now. What a great series that was. Thats what sports is all about. Comebacks, drama, tension, great skill, heroes. I agree with the co-mvp.
How happy did Kim look? :)
The season may be over but here's some irrelevant numbers for you.
Both starters over 20 wins.
first time in roughly 20 years the mvp's been split
its november 5th here now (my birthday) and im, you guessed it, 20.
Now how 'bout that! :D

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
That was a great series. I absolutely hate the Yanks (though not as much as I hate the Mets) and was jumping out of my seat with joy as the D-Backs won it (I'm not even a D-backs fan).
It's nice to see someone put the screws to the Yanks for a change
biggrin.gif

Oh well, Now I must endure another 5 months without baseball
frown.gif

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A great World Series! Unfortunately, the outcome wasn't one I wanted. As a kid growing up during the Yankees dynasty of the early 60's, I remembered my grandfather telling me you can't win them all. Oh well, the sun will come up tomorrow and one day, the Yankees will be back again! My hat's off to the D-backs for playing some outstanding baseball. The only negative thing I can say about these playoffs is the posting behavior of some members which was really sophomoric in content. Hell, I thought I was in study hall again!
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

MikeM

Screenwriter
The Yankees LOSE
Tha-a-a-a-a-a-a-a....Yankees LOSE!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Well, let me speak for all fellow "anti-Yankee squawkers" as Ric put it.
tongue.gif
My team may have not made it to the World Series, but who cares. This was a fantastic series, with incredible drama, and I got to see the Yanks walk off the field on the losing end for a change.
Life is good again. Yuck the Fankees!!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I was probably most happy for Mark Grace. He went to AZ looking for a WS ring and now he'll be getting one.
Congrats to both teams - what a series!
------------------
I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
Link Removed
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, that was one of the best World Series I've seen. I'm glad that Arizona came out on top however, since the only other team that gave them that much trouble were my beloved Cardinals . Curt Schilling is the man - I'd been under that impression since early May, when I got smoked in my Fantasy League by not picking him up early. Randy Johnson shook the monkey off his back and picked up 3 wins. Bob Brenley will keep his job.
biggrin.gif

I think the reason that people cheer against the Yankees is due to some of their fans who tend to run their mouth just a little too much. I know that's why I disliked Atlanta (their fans mostly) when they had their run of NL Pennants in the 90s...I was cheering for the Yanks in those World Series.
wink.gif

------------------
B00005LC4P.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305499128.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
0792846427.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305165912.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00003CXRM.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!
[Edited last by John Thomas on November 05, 2001 at 04:42 AM]

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Was Rivera charged with one earned run or two? (I've seen conflicting box scores.) And did this outing ruin his all-time WS-best ERA (he was 0.70 coming in vs. Koufax's 0.95).
As Mitty and others have said, it is great that baseball did the right thing and gave the MVP to both Johnson and Schilling.
------------------
Home Theater Pictures

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Great play from both teams in this World Series. It's nice to be reminded that baseball is still a great game.
Way to go, Diamondbacks! As a longtime Yankee-hater, let's just say you made my night. Unfortunately, my euphoria may come crashing down very soon, as the state of Minnesota may lose its team this week.
By the way, anybody heard from Mr. Fowkes lately?
wink.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?
[Edited last by Jeff Amaris on November 05, 2001 at 06:48 AM]

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Even though I'm rooting hard for the Yankees I would not be shocked if AZ takes them to the limit or even upsets them since good pitching is a commodity that is important in the series.
Unfortunately, this quote from my post on Page 1 of this thread, was more on the mark than I would have hoped. My heart wanted the Yankees to win (and I predicted that they would) but my brain tells me that the Yankees were second best this year.
Congratulations to all the Diamondback fans who rooted their team home to victory. You have one gutsy squad there, and they are to be commended. Now you get a chance to experience what the Yankee fans have over and over again. This is the end of another great run for NY and there will be a lot of changes in the face of next year's team, but that's what keeps the hot stove league going.
A lot of us got emotional during this thread but this is human nature and the reason that we have an "After Hours" section here on the forum, to vent a bit, within some limits. I really think that, for the most part, this thread stayed on target (except for the occasional ridiculous remark such as "Clemens should be thrown at" which doesn't even deserve further comment) and offered a forum for people to vent in the spirit of true fandom.
Let's all hope that MLB doesn't screw it up for the fans. Remember, the bitter taste of 1994 and the strike is still lurking in the wings, moratorium or not. Lots of people, as the polls show, are not baseball fans and they find the game very boring. Those of us who follow the intricaies of the sport know better, but to each his own.
As a personal aside, my time on the forum will be severely curtailed for a bit over the next couple of days, weeks, or maybe longer. I have some personal family business to take care of that demands my full attention and can only devote limited time to the HTF. I would rather not say any more at this time, but I will eventually share information as appropriate.
Take care.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

MikeM

Screenwriter
There was only one earned run charged to Rivera. Even though he allowed two runs to score, the other run scored as a result of the throwing error on the bunt, and was thus not charged.
Not sure if it ruined his all-time best ERA number, but it did ruin one stat for the Yanks that is absolutely incredible:
Before last night, the last time the Yankees had lost in the post season, when leading after 8 innings was in 1947!
eek.gif

------------------
mike_sig.jpg

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
but my brain tells me that the Yankees were second best this year.
I really hate to start in on the Yankee fans so early but one could argue that the Cardinals were 2nd best this year. They gave Arizona all they wanted and more.
biggrin.gif

------------------
B00005LC4P.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305499128.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
0792846427.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305165912.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00003CXRM.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I really hate to start in on the Yankee fans so early but one could argue that the Cardinals were 2nd best this year. They gave Arizona all they wanted and more.
And the Yankees didn't?
confused.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
MikeM,
That's pretty funny, turning John Sterling's trademark against us Yankee fans :) Actually I've heard that thrown at me before, but I can still appreciate the humor :)
*Sigh*...
Only 115 more days 'til baseball!
biggrin.gif

------------------

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That last inning resembled what the D-Backs did to the Braves in their NLCS as they just dinked them to death, and the Yanks just made some careless plays, just like the Braves. The D-backs learned how to handle Rivera by choking up on the back and waiting for the cutter that Rivera throws to lefties (Womack and Gonzo). That's just being smart and executing (except for that poor Jay Bell bunt attemp).
And yes, if the Yanks were playing at double-play depth, Gonzo's bloops would have been caught by Jeter. Torre was more concerned about a dink infield hit scoring the winning run on third, but I'm convinced that if Jeter catches Gonzo's blooper, it would have been extra innings, baby!
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
Congratulations to the city of New York, and the New York Yankees, for one hell of a World Series. I have never been more proud to be an American, a baseball fan, or a foe of the New York Yankees than I was this week. Both teams played with class, left it all out on the field, and were gracious in both defeat and victory. I also want to thank the members of this forum who are Yankee fans (RicP, Dana Fillhart, et al) for displaying those same attributes. It's easy to show up to gloat, but true fans also show up when their teams fall short. Robert Fowkes, I was starting to think you'd be a no-show. Thank you for your post, and good luck with whatever confronts you in your personal life.
As a native Phoenician, these last few days have been almost unbearable. Games 4 and 5 were enough to send me looking for sharp objects with which to impale myself (my wife will attest to this). Then game 6 roles around, and I'm surrounded by delirious fans acting as if the Series is over. I simply sat there, shaking my head, and mumbling, "But it's the New York Yankees. You people just don't get how not over this Series is."
And then came last night, and a game seven of the World Series. Phoenix, has four professional sports franchises. Combined, they have been in the valley for 57 years. New York has almost that many professional championships. Does this mean that the Yankees, or their fans wanted this less? NO. But it is something special for us first-timers, to finally be able to call one of your teams, World Champions. I think even the Yankees sensed how much the DBacks, and this city wanted this. And when Gonzalez blooped a single over Derek Jeter's head, I hugged my wife, her family, and even my beagle. What a feeling.
But the guys I'm most excited for, are people like Mike Morgan, who first pitched in the majors in 1978. 13 teams and 23 years later, he finally gets to pitch in the World Series, and now he gets a ring. Mark Grace, who was released by the Cubs after 14 seasons, and signed with a team he thought would give him a chance. He had my favorite quote of the night: "Party at Grace's house, and 49,000 people are invited." Matt Williams, who played in three World Series, in three different decades, for three different teams. After losing the first two, he finally gets to hold the trophy. Tony Womack, who lost his father earlier in the season, comes up with two of the biggest hits of the post-season (game 5 winner of the NLDS, and last nights game tying hit). And how about Curt Schilling? Some people think it's a little ridiculous that he leaves a seat for his father at every game he pitches. But if my father died while I was giving him CPR (and before he ever saw him pitch in the majors), I'm not so sure I wouldn't do the same thing. No player has willed his team to victory like this since Michael Jordan. Pure guts, and all heart.
I'm sure most of you have heard all this stuff plenty of times during Fox's coverage. But when you follow these guys through the entire season, watch them play through the ups and downs, and realize how resilient and deserving they are; well, its just all that more special. So I'm rambling now. A byproduct of the elation coursing through my veins. I'm sure I'll be worse come February when I hold my first born for the first time. It's a nice thing to live in a city with a World Series banner. Thankfully, she'll never know it any other way. TF

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
What happened to the tradition of shaking your opponets hands after the game? Do they not do that anymore? The Yankees just kind of wandered off of the field and headed for their clubhouse?
Kevin C. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks