What's new

***Official World Series Thread***: Diamondbacks vs. Yankees - your pick? (2 Viewers)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How prophetic when the announcer said that lefties get a lot of dink hits (broken bat hits into shallow outfield, and then Luis Gonzalez does just that to bring home the championship to Arizona.
Will Randy Johnson go down in World Series history as being the 1st pitcher to win both Game 6 and Game 7?
Congrats to Arizona! Pretty amazing finish. At least now the Yankees of the past 5 years now what's it's like to finish 2nd.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
And go 2002 Mariners. Maybe next year we will see the DBs and the Mariners in a real interesting series--Randy Johnson vs. his former teammates. Promises to be a great next year.
Ric,
Enjoy your hockey. Enjoyed our banter.

RicP

Screenwriter
Oh yes, we are all squawkers here. NOT!!!!!
Um...unless I'm mistaken you're a Mariner's fan.
NEWSFLASH: Your team didn't even make the World Series. Try not to pull anything while vicariously cheering, ok?
wink.gif

[Edited last by RicP on November 04, 2001 at 10:21 PM]

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations to the Diamondbacks for not being intimidated by Yankee mystique after the losses in New York. They refused to crumble. A well deserved championship.
------------------

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Where do we rank this series, it has to be WAYYYY up there. 3 of the games were the most dramatic you could ask for.
Hey, maybe CO-MVPs...I can see that actually.
[Edited last by Seth Paxton on November 04, 2001 at 10:22 PM]

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Ric, of course I'm a Mariners fan, just as you are a Yankees fan.
However, as I recall it was still just fine to cheer against a team you can't stand--and that for me is the Yankees.
As someone said--THERE IS A GOD!!!!

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Awesome!!!
biggrin.gif

Great series for both teams. Fantastic game 7. This is what baseball is all about.
cool.gif

------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Three of the best postseason games ever, all in one series.
Congrats to the Diamondbacks and, especially, ex-Phillie Curt Schilling.
As much as I admire the Yankees, the D'Backs were the better team this series, regardless of whether or not Rivera makes that save.
As a pure baseball fan, I loved this series.
I wonder if it will have a similar effect on the game's popularity a the '75 series.
Wow.
Evan
------------------
"* * * * * * * * * * * * *" - Buster Keaton
S&S: 15 films left
Most recent: Performance

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Yankees will prevail. I really don't care if it's in four or in seven as long as it's 4 for 4 for the Big Apple. Too many things can turn on a single great or poor play to make any prediction a lock.
One thing I do like about Arizona is that they (and their true fans, not the fair-weather Yankee haters who change their team loyalty more often than a 5 dollar hooker changes tricks) don't seem to be spending much time trash-talking. And their starting pitchers are impressive enough to make things interesting (if their arms don't fall off.)
For the record, RAF, I'm a Reds fan, and always a Reds fan. But once the fall classic arrives, it is National League all the way, baby! Congrats to the D-Backs! Yankees go home!

Mitty

Supporting Actor
In 1990, if memory serves, there were 3 MVPs, no?
Schilling and Johnson DEFINITELY deserve to share that honour.
Shilling with 3 terrific starts and 1 win.
Johnson with 2 terrific starts, a VERY unlikely (even an appearance) win in relief for a total of 3 wins.
I repeat: there should be two CO-MVPs to this World Series.
P.S. I sure hope Paul O'Neill changes his mind and comes back for another year. To my mind, Donnie Baseball passed the torch directly to him when he retired.
What a great series.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
As I predicted,
Fellow ND alum, past World Series hero, and slightly bruised after a "clutch" 9th inning HBP '01 WS hero Craig Counsell and his Arizona Diamondbacks won in 7 games!!!!!!
Congrats to Craig and his teammates on a dramatic and hard fought win.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
BTW, my only regret is the loss of a chance for a parade in NY.
Although I would think it pretty cool if the mayor invited the Dbacks to parade in NYC as a show of solidarity. I mean, if Boston can play NY,NY then NYC can let the Dbacks come into town to show appreciation.
And man, I'm going to miss Pauly. I sure hope they keep Tino. I'd hate to see both go in the same year.
Edit - oh great, it's Bud. Man, is he the next Harry Carey or what.
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Seth Paxton on November 04, 2001 at 10:32 PM]

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
quote: To all the real Diamondbacks fans, and not just the anti-Yankee squawkers:[/quote]
Come on Ric you are sounding like sour grapes.
Hey, I'm a baseball fan whose favorite team is in the NL and I always want to see the NL team win the series period.
Nothing wrong with that and no amount of negative comments will ruin my enjoyment of a NL win.
On a more serious note this was one heck of a series and baseball fans needed a great series.
And with no apologies to the Yanks and their fans, the vast majority of baseball fans are definitely happy with the out come. After all that is a compliment, when you are the most successful, people generally gravitate to the underdog.
[Edited last by Patrick_S on November 04, 2001 at 10:52 PM]

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Patrick,
His nervousness was showing once the first man was on base, and it only went up from there. I think he did crumble somewhat under the pressure, and contributed to the game loss.
However, I'm confident he will be fine come next year; he's certainly not going to be leaving the team!
As for Tino...I sincerely hope Torre/Steinbrenner keep him -- he's probably the most underrated asset of their franchise, continuously saving the team games defensively but rarely getting recognition for it.
2002 will surely be a whole new Yankee team!
------------------

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Rivera has lost other games, it just seems like it's been awhile. I agree with Dana that he looked shook up even after Grace's hit, BUT after he threw the 2nd bunt to third for an out I thought he recovered.
Plus, Gonzo's "hit" wouldn't have even scored a run had the defense been able to play normal depth, so I don't think it left him feeling shook up. If he makes that throw to 2nd then the Yanks very likely win. I think he can live with that since he didn't really fail in his main occupation of throwing to home.
Okay, here we go...CO MVPs...
very impressive.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Although I dislike the Yankees you have to tip your hats to them. They are the best in the AL and were a couple outs from winning it all for the 4th time in a row.
Congratulations to the Diamondbacks. Dominant pitching is how its won and its been proven in the past 6 World Series. To be able to beat someone as dominating as Rivera is an accomplishment.
Now if only my Blue Jays could get some pitching.
Patrick
------------------
Evidence of my obsession.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks