What's new

*** Official "THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from a screening of this one, and I was sincerely surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
If you're still trying to forget that abysmal Musketeer movie from last year, this one should do the trick! I don't want this to turn into a major review, but here's the skinny:
Kevin Reynolds does a bang-up job. He hasn't directed a film since 187, but he delivers his finest movie to date.
Jim Cavaziel is fantastic, and Guy Pearce simply oozes evil. The supporting cast is uniformly solid, particularly Richard Harris, Luis Guzman and Michael Wincott.
The screenplay (by long-time TV producer/first-time screenwriter Jay Wolpert) is great, aside from a few necessary shortcuts, and the dialogue is gloriously free of the modern stupidity so prevalent in today's cinematic "adaptations".
All in all, a damn solid flick: 4 out of 5 stars. Looking forward to seeing who agrees with me. (Note: Despite what the advertising may look like, this is NOT an action flick. I mean that in a good way.)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Great, I couldn't make the screening of this one, but I was able to see Snow Dogs!
I am at least curious since the production design looks fairly good, and Scott wouldn't recommend a total piece of garbage, would he? :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hey, I have a renewed respect for Scott since he sort of reversed himself a bit off his rave review of American Pie 2.:D
Thanks for the heads up Scott.
BTW, I also enjoy your reviews too Mark.
Keep up the good work men:)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I am at least curious since the production design looks fairly good, and Scott wouldn't recommend a total piece of garbage, would he?
Funny you'd mention that Mark, as I was extremely impressed by the production design in this one. The sets were really fantastic, and the costumes as well. (For the diamteric opposite of this movie, check out The Musketeer...or better yet, don't.) I read that the budget for this movie was around $50 million, but it certainly looks more expensive.
And yes, I would definitely recommend garbage! I'd say "It's fun garbage!" This one's not campy or lazy. It's a sure-handed and satisfying piece of escapism, the kind of movie you'll mention when people say "Can't you just ENJOY a FUN movie?"

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I thought the trailers looked promising.

Guy Pearce seems to be on it in chosing work which also gives me hope regarding Time Machine.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too thought the trailers looked promising.
But Luis Guzman is in this movie??? Now I'm gonna have to see it! :D

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I thought this flick looked pretty sweet. Im certainly gonna check it out now. The cast looks great. Luis Guzman is awesome! :)

Chris Wittry

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, have you ever read the book? If so, was it even close or was it like a Clancy movie where the screenplay is nothing like the book? I probably won't see it anyway, as I generally hate movies based on books, but I'd like to know anyway. Thanks! :D

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Eww, The Musketeer. What a stinker that was.

the kind of movie you'll mention when people say "Can't you just ENJOY a FUN movie?"
I don't know. Periodically I get recognized in public, and one guy told me he couldn't trust my opinion because I liked A Beautiful Mind, a film I'd consider very mainstream and accessible.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I also really liked A Beautiful Mind, although I wouldn't really classify it as a Popcorn Flick.
And if someone's going to not trust you based on your opinions, that's their short-sightedness. Several of my favorite critics are people I RARELY agree with, but they write extremely well and have an obvious passion for film.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I had told him that I thought Black Hawk Down was really good, and he asked what I thought of A Beautiful Mind. Based on the fact that I liked both of these very disparate films, he determined that he won't see Black Hawk Down. Too bad for him. :)
Needless to say, it can be awkward when you're recognized and people don't agree with your opinions.

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen the film and read the book? The book was fantastic and is really worth reading. How is the adaptation? It is a fairly lengthly book...

Seb

Brian_J

Second Unit
Guy Pearce seems to be on it in chosing work which also gives me hope regarding Time Machine.
Yeah, is he attached to a rocket ship all of a sudden or what? It seems others have noticed his excellent acting skills.

And I was worried he'd never get a chance to shine in larger budget films but only be relegated to smaller films like Memento and Ravenous.

Brian

DanaA

Screenwriter
Thanks for the review. I was really, really hoping this would be good. I love it when swashbuckling classics are made into movies, so long as they don't go overboard with over-the-top special effects and don't short change the story-line and characterization.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Dana, you'll be pleased to know that (as always, "IMO") there are very few showy effects, aside from one that I think you'll enjoy. :)
I haven't read the source material since I was in high school so I don't remember many details, but this movie certainly felt "loyal" to the novel.
What I liked most this movie is that it's a rather old-fashioned adventure tale. There's no gimmicky casting choices or anachronistic wire-fu sequences. Despite what the trailers imply, there's not a whole lot of "action" action at all!
I'm looking forward to seeing what you all think.

John Chow

Second Unit
Ok, I feel obligated to weigh in on this one, since I went to a preview screening yesterday.
Hm...where to start...
Well, I'm going to go ahead and preface this by saying I'm a HUGE fan of the book, having read multiple versions multiple times. Now in no way was I actually expecting an fully accurate adaptation, but Alexandre Dumas is probably rolling over in his grave. The only similarities between the book and the movie are that there are indeed characters with the same names in the movie and the book, but that's about it. In order for me to accurately detail each deviation from the book, I'd pretty much have to just post the whole book here :) I can't believe they had the nerve to actually call it "Alexandre Dumas' The Counte of Monte Cristo"
I'm just going to give one example of inaccuarcy:

Surprise! Albert Morcerf is actually the Count of Monte Cristo's bastard son, and of course everyone lives happily ever after.

On the plus side, if you've read the book, then you'd have no idea as to what's going to happen in the movie :D
I wish I could judge this movie alone, without comparing it to the book, but it's just not possible for me. A person I was with who had no knowledge of the book said she thought it was mediocre, so I'm not sure what most people will think of this movie.
Oh, and in addition to being completely changed Jacopo's character sounded like he was some weird mix between a gangsta and a mafia boss. Quite possibly the worst acting I've seen in a while.
My impression was that the audience reaction was pretty good. People clapped every time an evildoer was disposed of, and I heard at least one person say the movie was better than the book. People laughed at the appropriate time, although personally I was too busy wondering how they could butcher a classic this badly :)
Although not without its share of problems, I felt the TV adaptation that aired on Bravo a few years back with Gerard Depardieu had a better feel.
Anyways, I'm going to stop ranting now, if there are any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them :)

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
I got the impression that this was a Mask of Zorro rehash from some of the scenes I saw in the trailer. It didn't sway me from wanting to see it since I enjoyed Zorro a lot. I'll definitely check it out.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I loved this movie and can't wait for the day it is released on DVD. Oh and Scott...I also liked A beautiful Mind. Good flick.

Peace,

Eve

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Whew! Glad you liked it, Eve! Very few of my fellow critics seem to have enjoyed this one. Oh well!
(I also agree with your assessment of A Beautiful Mind. Damn good stuff.)
Anyone else want to chime in with their opinions on Monte Cristo?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for The Count of Monte Cristo. Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of The Count of Monte Cristo should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks