*** Official "THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's a good thing the makers of "The Count of Monte Cristo" didn't take themselves all too seriously when making this film because it's filled with many intended "unintended" lines of dialogue which provoked much laughter out of the audience I was with this afternoon. Almost any line spoken by Luis Guzman got a laugh.

Most will know the main story of TCOMC, and it's pretty much movie-making-by-the-numbers. The performances are okay, nothing spectacular (though Richard Harris makes for a delightful cell mate), but the actual vengeance motif could have been sharper along the lines of "Dangerous Liasons" which would have made it have a tougher bite.

Why go see it? If you have a free afternoon, and watch to see a classic get mildly updated without much tinkering, this could fit the bill.

I give it a grade of C or 2 stars.

2. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for The Count of Monte Cristo. Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    If you need to discuss those type of issues, please post your discussion comments in the Official Discussion Thread for this film which can be found at this link.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

4. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

My family and I just got back from TCOMC and were thoroughly entertained. We enjoyed the escapist story very much. My 17 year old son saw it yesterday with a bunch of his friends and insisted on going with my wife and me to see it today. Despite some of the contemporary dialogue, we found it to be an old fashioned period romp.

Guess it just depends on what you're in the mood for...

5. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Damn, what a great movie. I absolutely loved it. So far, the best 2002 movie Ive seen! [​IMG]