What's new

*** Official "TALK TO HER (HABLE CON ELLA)" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Pedro Almodóvar new film Talk to Her (Hable con ella), which is now playing worldwide but not in the USA (I saw it in Paris) is one of his better films in recent years.
The story of two women who fall into comas (a bullfighter and a dancer) and the men who love them, it is an unapologetic soap opera/melodrama. At the same time though, it is a superb film in every respect.
It has become acceptable for first rate filmmakers to do "genre" films that aspire to greatness like films noirs (cops and robbers) (see L.A. Confidential), revenge (see The Limey), etc., etc. but soap opera was one genre neglected by serious directors -- until now, with Almodóvar's Talk to Her.
Combining great acting, directing and expertly crafted set pieces, Talk to Her transcends it's genre and then some. Take the scene where Benigno (Javier Cámara) who is in love a ballerina makes an apointment with her psychiatrist father so that he has an excuse to visit her apartment. The totally unembarrassed, most-natural-thing-in-the-world manner in which Begnino talks about being a virgin (deep into adulthood) and having spent his whole life taking care of his recently deceased mother, tells all kinds of things about his character and personality as well as providing a great comic undertone.
Another priceless scene involves the silent film within a film, Amante Menguante (Shrinking Lover) which has to be seen to be believed -- certainly my words won't do it justice.
All this and bullfighting too! Unfortunately making a great movie these days seems to be far easier than getting timely American distribution.
Ted

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is a terrific film. You can't stop thinking about it once it's over for some strange reason, but that's the strength of Almodovar's films, his characters get inside your head and sort of tug at your sleeve...a lot. Why? I don't know, but they do.

There's a gentle thread of humanity within this film that hits home within its framework, even through it arrives from very different and difficult angles. Let it unfold and you'll be rewarded with a cinematic treat.

If you've like Almodovar's other films, you'll enjoy this one. And yes, there's a silent movie bit that is priceless. To say anymore would spoil the scene.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorites of the year. Almodovar is fearless in his moviemaking, taking risk after risk that would kill a lesser film but every one pays off in Talk To Her, making for a truly special experience.

Arman

Screenwriter
I agree Almodovar is both fearless & genius of a filmmaker and he should be declared a "National Treasure" by Spain. Talk To Her is a masterpiece and my 2nd Best Film of 2002 (as of 02/09/03).

The entire cast is terrific most especially Javier Camara as Benigno.

Talk To Her gets an A+ no less!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI - I've split up the Review and Discussion posts for this fine film. Please go to here for discussion of the film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Talk To Her (Hable con ella)". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks