What's new

Official STAR WARS Saga Discussion Thread: Part 5 (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s that same lunatic fringe group that felt it was normal human behavior to send death threats to Kelly Marie Tran because they didn’t like her character, the same group who drove Ahmed Best to suicide attempts because they didn’t like his character, the same group that bullied Jake Lloyd, a *child*, because they didn’t like his character. There is unfortunately this awful group within the fandom that believe emotional and physical abuse is the proper response to not liking a freaking movie.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Speaking ONLY of the lunatics, I'm sure they have some reasons they've dreamed up but the reality is that they're mad because she's a woman and because LFL has continued to make an effort to diversify their creators and characters under her leadership. In short, it's scared white guys reacting with anger rather than trying to broaden their horizons.

Once again, I'm only speaking about the psychos who have spent every day of the last 4 years tweeting about how they hated The Last Jedi and crying about "PC" or "cancel culture" or fantasizing about some "civil war" inside LFL. Plenty of people who haven't liked Star Wars project X, Y, or Z do not fall into that category.
Thanks. All I can say to those fools is:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Next year, when we’re all watching Andor, everyone will be discussing Rogue One and how it’s one of the best Star Wars movies ever.
I think Rogue One is already there. What's amazing to me is how quickly the view of the movie turned. Generally speaking, I think Rogue One took something of a beating when it came out but it only took 2 or 3 years for people to call it one of the best SW movies. It usually takes decades for fans to say a Star Wars movie is any good at all. :laugh:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m of two minds of the whole thing: the film, on its merits alone, has a messy beginning but it really comes together in the third act, and the last five minutes take it to another level. The payoff is good enough to justify the effort it takes to get there.

On the other hand, I love the old formerly canon radio play version of Star Wars that told its own tale of what happened with the Death Star plans and I’m sentimental for that being the way it went.

I went full nerd one night and watched Rogue One in 3D off my Blu-ray player, and then had Star Wars cued up on Plex just after the crawl ended, and used that hyperspace wipe at the end of R1 just before the first end credit comes up to quickly swap from one input to another on the receiver and whip off the 3D glasses, and it was pretty thrilling to actually connect both films into one experience.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, I love the old formerly canon radio play version of Star Wars that told its own tale of what happened with the Death Star plans and I’m sentimental for that being the way it went.
I probably place more value on the canon stuff because it's current but I now view the EU as its own separate timeline. I spent decades reading and loving that stuff so it's still a fun thing that means something to me even if it has no real bearing on current stories.

My biggest problem with losing the radio dramas is that they used to be canon. Since Lucas was involved, he or at least Lucasfilm decreed them to be on the same level as the movies so while I understand wanting the freedom to just start over, I do wish they kept those as canon.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
One Star Wars item that I’d love to see released is the JW Rinzler making of the force awakens book. The book was completed but never released.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Today is the 25th anniversary of the Star Wars: Special Edition. Having never seen the first movie in a theater (and being very young when I saw TESB and ROTJ), it was quite an experience to see the movie on something bigger than a 36 inch TV in my friend's basement. No doubt that nostalgia for the time and the excitement for the re-releases and the upcoming prequels make me look back very fondly on the SEs and that time in Star Wars history in general.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My parents took us to see the original release of Star Wars at a drive-in in ‘77. I was only 2 at the time so I really have no memories of that other than being told the film broke during the Obiwan/Vader duel. I do remember, however, seeing Empire and Jedi in theaters during their first runs. Years later, I went to see the special editions when they were in theaters and, while cool to see the original trilogy on the big screen, I was very turned off by all the ridiculous and unnecessary changes George and co. felt needed to be made and have never watched them since. Whenever I want to revisit the OT, which is about once a year, I’ll watch the non-anamorphic bonus DVDs from the 2006 SE set.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My parents took us to see the original release of Star Wars at a drive-in in ‘77. I was only 2 at the time so I really have no memories of that other than being told the film broke during the Obiwan/Vader duel. I do remember, however, seeing Empire and Jedi in theaters during their first runs.
My earliest memory is of being in a movie theater and getting scared by the shot of Darth Vader in the carbon freezing chamber as Han is getting frozen in The Empire Strikes Back but I was so young that I must have seen the November 1982 re-release. I don't know if it's awesome or sad that my earliest memory is of Star Wars but either way, it certainly is fitting for me. :laugh:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Me too my first Star Wars in a theater was The Empire Strikes Back. I was very little and years later when I forgot everything about the movie, surprisingly I still remembered the Dagobah environment. It's because of Dagobah that I'm sure I have seen this movie in a theater!

Also years later when I saw the Star Wars: Special Edition in a theater, I was surprised how grainy it looked. I liked it a lot and was fully on board with tweaking movies to death. But even with that mindset I disliked the Greedo first. How many people remember the Jabba version 1? You will feel extremely old if people don't even know they did 2 versions.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
How many people remember the Jabba version 1? You will feel extremely old if people don't even know they did 2 versions.
Suddenly, the CG Jabba on the Blu-ray and UHD doesn't seem so bad when you remember that he looked like this in 1997. :)

Star Wars: Why George Lucas Added Jabba the Hutt & Boba Fett Into New Hope

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The biggest laugh I got on opening night of the SE in 1997 was right after Luke says he was going to Toshi station to pick up some powers converters and the whole audience went “Awwww”. Hilarious 😂

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

If I remember correctly, this version was something special and not something they did in a hurry. They used the Jurassic Park technology and it took years to do it, or at least they had the finished scene years in advance. I remember a reporter saying Lucas invited him to show this special scene much in advance and his jaw dropped. Maybe it was Star Wars Insider, but it was the stuff of legend and we knew this existed much in advance before seeing any photos.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I can’t believe we’re talking about the 25th anniversary of the special editions, which is five years longer than the 20 years the special editions were celebrating.

The world has now lived with the special editions longer than the originals. George Lucas played the long game here, and he won..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks