What's new

*** Official "STAR TREK: NEMESIS" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Star Trek: Nemesis". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
Crawdaddy

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Well, here's what I thought. I'll try to avoid BIG SPOILERS, but there may be some tiny ones here and there. Any big ones I'll put in spoiler tags.
Overall, I enjoyed it; I feel comfortable saying it was a decent movie. Patrick Stewart is really good as always, and the rest of the regular cast does well, too. As for the newcomers, Tom Hardy is impressive as Shinzon, Ron Perlman is sufficiently creepy as the Reman viceroy, and Dina Meyer is fine but underused as Romulan Commander Donatra.
As for the story: I thought the premise was intriguing, and it is not as similar to Undiscovered Country as it seems to be at first. I liked the relationship between Picard and Shinzon, the human who was raised by Remans, and who has a strong connection with Picard. Shinzon is not quite a Khan-caliber villain, as the publicity would have us believe, but for the most part, he works, and so does the conflict.
The "B" story, however, which involves the discovery of a prototype android, really doesn't work at all. The crew finds B4, yet another creation of Dr. Soong, apparently abandoned on a remote planet. After he is reassembled, Data tries to learn more about his "brother," and teach him about humans.
Sound familiar? Amazingly, the entire crew, including Data, not only fail to acknowledge the existence of Lore, but also seem to have completely forgotten about him. I don't think I'm nitpicking here; the episodes of the series involving Lore were major events in the evolution of Data's character, and there is nary a mention of them. This is a glaring (and rather embarrassing) oversight that even casual fans will most likely catch.
As usual, the focus is on Picard and Data, which I don't mind. The original crew's films usually focused on Kirk, Spock, and Bones, so it's understandable. The Riker/Troi wedding is a nice resolution to their story arc, and they get a few moments in the limelight. But it's unfortunate that Beverly, Geordi, and Worf have so little to do. I'm glad to see them back, but they're basically there merely to be there. Uhura had more to do in Wrath of Khan than Dr. Crusher has here. It could be be that they had more material, and that that material was cut.
This brings me to my main problem with the film: I believe Stuart Baird and his editors may have been a little too severe with the cutting. Reportedly, around 45 minutes of footage were taken out to bring the running time to under 2 hours. That, in and of itself, is understandable, and probably even standard procedure. But, I think after they got it down to a manageable length, some of that could have gone back in. Wil Wheaton's cameo as Wes, for instance, probably could have gone back in without too much trouble.
Also, there are several points later in the film that feel as though they haven't been built up properly. There seem to be payoffs for scenes that weren't there. This is most apparent at the climax, which, while fairly moving for longtime fans of the series, it almost comes out of nowhere in the film. I'll have to put up a spoiler tag to elaborate. This is one of the BIG ones, by the way:
Spock's death in Wrath of Khan is foreshadowed, rather eloquently, several times during the movie. Here, there is hardly any setup for Data's sacrifice, except for the confirmation that he is willing to die in the line of duty, which most of the charcters have done at one time or another.

Anyway, I just think it would have been more affecting if they'd set us up for it a little better within the movie. And I think there probably was some material that did that, but it was cut. This is all guesswork, but considering how much was taken out, I just have to think there was more development of certain plot threads. They must have had a messy cutting room floor when they were finished :rolleyes:
I wouldn't have minded a 130-135-minute Star Trek movie if the pacing was right, and if it would have fleshed things out a bit more. But the 116-minute version sometimes just feels incomplete.
At any rate, I guess I had more caveats than I at first thought. There were some good things, though: the aforementioned Picard/Shinzon drama, and the related ideas about a clone making different decisions based on a different past. The action sequences and F/X are also impressive. Baird's direction is a little flat at times, but most of the time, he gets the job done. Again, I think he just cut too much. John Logan's script is not bad, but it probably was better before so much was hacked out of it. Jerry Goldsmith's score employs several of the composer's usual conventions, but there are times where he manages to make it sound quite fresh. His "Next Generation" theme is always a welcome melody, and it's used to good effect, except in the end credits march, where it's played a little too slowly.
So basically, as a moviegoer, I enjoyed the film. It was entertaining, fairly well-acted, competently (if somewhat unimaginitively) directed, and at times rousing. And it does feel more like a film than the previous Next Gen flicks did. As a Trek fan, though, I was a little disappointed in the missed opportunities. They didn't really contradict any of the series' history, they just ignored more of it than they should have. A decent, but far from great film.
Grade: B

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek: Nemesis (2 out of 5 stars)
Three things before we begin: 1. I absolutely adored Star Trek: The Next Generation as a TV series. 2. I've yet to see a Star Trek flick with the TNG cast that wasn't a gaping yawnfest. 3. That includes this one.
While on our way out of the theater, my friend Josh and I were debating the merits of Star Trek: Nemesis. (Interesting note: "Nemesis" was originally set to be the title of the previous entry. They went instead with Insurrection, and use Nemesis here. No real point; just wondering aloud if these titles actually MEAN anything or if they're just being used instead of "Part 9 and "Part 10".) Neither of us were exactly enthusiastic about what we'd just seen, but he felt mildly defensive of his beloved TNG crew and professed that Nemesis simply "wasn't that bad". So my question to him was:
"If you matched this movie up against any random episode of 'The Next Generation' and rated them based on script, acting performances, and overall entertainment value - which would prove more satisfying?"
In other words, we're now paying 8 bucks a pop to see an extended TV episode, and (aside from some glossy new FX) it's an episode that's not particularly smart, exciting, or engaging. The law of diminishing returns has overwhelmed the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise, and after slogging through this newest chapter my guess is that this rocket has simply run out of fuel.
The plot involves a whole lot of discussion about positronic rays, twin-brother robots, Romulans and Remans, and evil clones (hmm, where'd THAT concept come from) yet there's very little here to challenge those who ten years ago delighted at the intricate cleverness of the original series. Sure, the familiar crew is (for the most part) present and accounted for, but if you can find one important or interesting idea put forth by anyone but the Picard or Data characters...then your love for the source material has clouded your brain and you must be deprogrammed soon.
Patrick Stewart is, as always, a joy to watch. Too bad that the criminally talented character actor will probably never find consistent, popular work outside of this interstellar dinosaur. (Yes, he makes even bad dialogue sound authentic, but this guy's too good an actor to spend his entire career spent with his skinny arms dangling about in a red space suit.)
As far as Brent Spiner's Data is concerned, I'm simply not a fan - so any criticisms about his banal presence and tiresome antics may be taken with a grain of salt. As if in response to my most arcane nightmares, we get two Datas this time around. One sings.
The rest of the crew is left mainly to wander about in the background, muttering about unrelated plot points like new weddings and... Actually I think that's the only real subplot: Riker and Troi are finally wed. In the grand history of cinematic nuptials, this wedding ranks somewhere above Prinze/Gellar but much lower than Kermit/Piggy.
To be fair, we are offered a somewhat cool chase scene set on a Pitch Black-ish monochromatic planet, and there is an extended spaceship battle that will keep you entertained if you ignore every law of science you've ever gleaned, but in between the claustrophobic action bits there's very little onscreen that's more interesting than the face of your watch. (If you consider Picard arguing with his younger self about the nature of man the pinnacle of all things thrilling, there may be a stray 25 minutes in here you'll enjoy.)
Notable mainly for its painfully earnest and trite dialogue and a dutiful (if pointless) devotion to silly mini-cameos, this sequel is as push-button and formula-bound as they come. Whoopi Goldberg, Kate Mulgrew, and Wil Wheaton each make quick appearances, as do a few spoken references to the Borg: lazy lip service meant to appease the old-school fans, fans who deserve better than just an off-hand comment or familiar face to keep them sated. Coated in plastic goo are two likable actors I didn't even recognize (Ron Perlman and Dina Meyer), while head baddie Tom Hardy does everything he can to channel Jaye Davidson's career-shortening presence from Emmerich's Stargate.
Blah, I digress. It's not even important for a Star Trek movie to be GOOD anymore. The flicks act as an integral tentpole for the whole circus. Taken as a tool to help retain public awareness for the various Star Trek books, video games, toys, and TV shows, Nemesis does its job relatively well. Unfortunately, movies need to be more than well-polished product to earn my recommendation.
Recommendable only to those most ardent Star Trek fans; the ones who are willing to overlook a boatload of lazy and predictable gimmicks in order to visit with some beloved old characters just one more time. To those fans, I say simply this: see Nemesis once; enjoy your Next Generation DVDs forever.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Short Review:
Overall, I enjoyed Star Trek Nemesis, however it was not without some problems.
The first half is meandering, but at about the halfway point it picks up some steam, and the space battles are well done and exciting.
Patrick Stewart is the star here and the only one that really shines. The story doesn't play out as well as it read when I reviewed the screenplay almost a year ago. Much was lost in the transition to the screen. I'll post more extensive thoughts later in the discussion thread.
On a Star Trek Film scale, I give it a weak :star::star::star:.
Overall..:star::star:1/2

Matt_P

Second Unit
I think it's time to wake up, folks: We've been spoiled when it comes to Trek. We take it's quality for granted. For nearly 40 years, we have seen the life of an innovative, intelligent science fiction program grow, evolve, endure, and continually entertain and enlighten with solid writing, great characters, and a serious exploration of the nature of humanity. Certainly, the quality does vary between the series/films, but I have seen basically every bit of Trek out there, and can honestly say that they have all been solid--head and shoulders above the standard drivel that eminates from the TV these days. Can I say this for many other TV/film series? Certainly not.

Let's appreciate the fact that there is still a program out there that attempts to be more than the sum of its parts.

Now, to the matter at hand. I'll give a general review so as not to spoil any plot points.

Nemesis is good. It's not only good, it's very good. I'd even go so far as to say superb. It is certainly the best Trek film to come along in quite a while. Even though this movie is clearly written for the fans (by a fan, John Logan), the average movie-goer with little to no knowledge of Trek can certainly enjoy it. I went with a friend of mine who has seen only a couple of the films, and he felt it was very good.

Albeit, this film does not reach the philosophical/intellectual level of some of TNG's best eps, but it certainly explores some intriguing issues, commentating on the duality of human nature. If you look hard enough, there is plenty of substance to be found.

Technically, this film tries to break new ground. Stuart Baird has brought a fresh look to the Trek films, employing some innovative lighting/cinematographic techniques--Just look at the blown-out yellowish hues of the early planet sequence, much like the Mexico sequences in Traffic. This vicerally gives the audience the impression of an alien environment. Clearly, effort was put forth to try to change the norms.

The SFX are superb, as well--some great new production designs. Where Insurrection had only a few short scenes, Nemesis has many extended action sequences which are well balanced--action comes periodically throughout, with the majority toward the end, where it should be. Also, I appreciated how the climax of the battle between the Enterprise and the Scimitar was a great metaphor.

Goldsmith's score is well done. Some excellent action music is to be found, but a new theme was non-existant (great music over the opening shot, though). Look for a clear musical homage to the originial Trek film...

Pacing is good, though sometimes it feels clear material was cut out (an extended DVD edition, please?). Some have said the film is too talky--not so. A plot needs to be established sometime, folks!

Acting is solid, as usual. Patrick Stewart is in top form. His nemesis, Shinzon, played by Tom Hardy, is a worthy adversary, exuding an unsettling sense of sophistication and treachery--a standout performance. Spiner does a great job differentiating Data from B4, whose storyline (another android from Dr.Soong comes along) is not simply extraneous. It plays an integral role in the plot (although no mention of Lore was odd).

Another thing I admired about the film: It was generally unpredictable. I thought I knew where certain scenes were going, yet I was proven wrong. There are some genuine surprises, and powerful moments in the film (especially for fans). Things do not end up exactly the way they began.

I'd like to mention again that fans will really enjoy all of the homages/references to past Treks, while non-fans will find a solid action/sci-fi picture that addresses some interesting philosophical issues. Keep in mind that these films have to be geared for all kinds of audiences to be successful--I'm sure many other story dimensions were cut by the studio, or for time. This isn't called show BUSINESS for nothing...

Overall, a very strong entry into the Trek franchise. GO SEE IT, and enjoy!

P.S. Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton) does in fact make an appearance. His lines were cut, but he can be seen in a couple of shots during the banquet at the beginning--keep your eyes on the far left of the screen, at the end of the table.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I didn't quite think this was a solid film. It dragged in the 1st 2 acts, and the finale was too drawn out without good direction IMHO. Perhaps it was the screenplay, but there wasn't any truly epic moments in the film.

See it if you are a fervent Star Trek fan.

I gave it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I was very impressed with this film, especially the little resolution at the end of the episode, although I would have loved to see the Titan.

I too was amazed at the lack of mention of Lore, perhaps this was due to the edits mentioned previously.

The score was not as impressive as usual but still quite good, it distracted at times so that is why I mention it.

As to the poster that refers to it as a yawnfest, I could not disagree more.

big thumbs up.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Just came Back from the Movie. Turn out for the 1st evening show was so-so. But I have'nt been to many movies lately when they did have a good turnout.

I'll say right from the Start that I liked it. And if you're going to copy a bit copy from the Best which Khan which clearly inspired this film, was.

The one thing that struck me was that of all the TNG Trek films this felt the closest to being a Film. Generations,Insurrection and yest to a degree, First Contact, felt like expanded episodes.

People felt Shinzon came out of right field, but I bought the political aspects of the Rom Ploy and felt it was a valid possibility. Data's Double was a bit harder to buy, I understand why it could'nt been Lore, and at least as they used him in this movie, it worked for me.

The Special effects and Action were the best of Any Trek film even First Contact. No comparision. The cast Dynamic was whittled down to basically Picard and Data, but they found something for the other cast to do with the exception of an Underused Crusher and Worf.

Tom Hardy as Shinzon was Leaps over Soran and an equal to the borg Queen. He was very good.

Goldsmiths Music was understated and fit the film with subtle film cues in all the right places.

USS Archer and Janeway Nuff said.

Not the Disaster all the Web sites and reviewers are making it to be and a much better film than Insurrection. The Humor at once felt in place and flowed from the characters and not because of them.

I can't wait to see this film on DVD as the theater had this in a poor SDDS theater while Maid in Manhattan? was in the DTS Theater.

I Will say that I think the Trek Series should retire for awhile. I'm perfectly Happy where this movie left our beloved Heroes. I'd be all for another Trek Movie that did something completely different thou.

Matt_A

Stunt Coordinator
Star Trek: Nemesis was actually much better than I expected it to be. The critics were a little off, I think. Yeah, the second act wasn't exactly exciting stuff, but the last third of the movie was a BIG payoff. I don't really think it was a great idea to kill data, but Berman seems to know what he's doing, right? :angry:

I'd give the movie a solid :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: .
Matt

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I just saw it tonight. It is much better than reviews had led me to belive. I was expecting a major train wreck, but surprisingly it was entertaining and seeing the Enterprise on the big screen is always a treat anyway :)
I still can't get over the nagging feeling that it would have been better being a "real" Romulan movie, with perhaps Sela (Tasha Yar's Romulan daughter) in the place of Shinzon (assuming Denise Crosby could convincingly pull off a psycho-bitch :) ) It wouldn't have had the same "mirror" story arch but there would still be plenty of ways to bring a theme into it using that story.
Still, the movie had some really nice action sequences, the sound was great in the theater I saw it in, and the latter part really was exciting since we really hadn't seen this new Enterprise have any kind of extremely heavy action yet. It also seemed like everyone had more to do in this film than in the others, Crusher especially though she really didn't "do" anything but at least she had more dialogue and screen time, though Worf seemed to be used less than he had been previously.
Overall, I enjoyed it, much better than Insurrection, though I still think First Contact was a little better since it seemed tighter and more well paced (and was exciting without having to "resort" to epic space battles, the beginning excluded of course).
If there is ever going to be a Next Generation "trilogy" like the original series had I think this should be the beginning. Peace with the Romulans isn't established here so maybe as the original cast went out by making peace with Klingons, this TNG trilogy could bring peace with the Romulans. That could bring Sela into the story and possibly Spock (though it may feel too much like an advertising ploy to bring him in).

Todd K

Second Unit
As short as I can make this:

Much better than expected (IMHO, better than all prev. Next Gen films, incl. First Contact).

Some weak points in the setup of the story, but no its execution. A human clone suddenly leads the empire? He was able to build the most powerful Romulan ship ever, in secret?

So much better than Insurrection. While there was humor, there were fewer cringe-worthy moments in this film than all previous Next Generation films. (I'm basing this on my own opinion and the reactions of the audiences I saw).

I think the cut scenes could have been used to flesh the story out more.

Harry Knowles was so wrong, or rather, he painted the completely wrong picture. Yes, there is singing in the end, but not how you expect -- nothing like the "British Tar" number from Insurrection. Yes, Picard does get beamed away, but Knowles made it sound like it was like Insurrection, where he got beamed away in the nick of time before the enemy could kill him. The makeup did look a little off, though, on the Romulans. Maybe it was the hair.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Count me in as one who absolutely loved this movie! No, it isn't perfect, but boy was it fun!

There's not much more I can add to this thread without repeating what's been said by others who enjoyed it. My only criticism was that the score tended to be a little to 'happy' and 'fun' when it wasn't exactly warranted. But it was EXTREMELY cool to hear some of the older themes revisited.

PLEASE, don't let the negative reviews stop you from seeing Nemesis.

As a side note, I really wish Nemesis wasn't released to compete with LOTR. For some reason I feel that Paramount wants this movie to fail at the box office.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
In brief,
to quote 'Emil' from RoboCop...
"I LIKE IT!!!"
Not sure where it precisely stands, ranking-wise in the Trek film canon, but definitely in the top four (in the neighborhood of 'Khan', 'Undiscovered Country', and 'First Contact')
What starts out as a lighthearted romp turns into a piece about confronting an altered version of oneself. How did I arrive to this point in my life? Was it my environment? Did I choose it for myself or was it chosen for me? How can the same essence of someone diverge onto such radically different paths?
The third act was truly outstanding and rivals 'Khan' for visceral and emotional impact. I was gratified to hear sniffling in the theater (granted, opening night with the Trek crowd, but still...).
The last shot of Picard getting up and throwing himself back into the grind felt so right and was a fitting end (hopefully not) to the TNG storyline.
Oh, and the space battle was pretty cool too... :D

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Wesley's cameo: Look far left.
Mott's cameo: Look center-left, in the wedding reception shot.

SFX: Superb.

Lots of subtlety, for a ST movie. Liked the unspoken goodbye between Geordi and Data.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
I'll try to keep this short and sweet.
As much as I feel that the show and the characters need to move on, I liked it.
I am disappointed that there was no reference to Lore, and that Wesley had so much of an appearance in the film (in a Star Fleet uniform no less). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he go AWOL with the "Traveler", the episode where he seemingly ascended? My guess is that there must have been some back-story cut out dealing with his return.
One other thing that I would have loved to have seen was a brief flashback of how the Romulans obtained genetic material to clone Picard. It had to have been the episode where Picard was captured, tortured, and interrogated. It would have been an excellent way to tie the character's past with their present.
This leads me to my next point that others have only touched upon.
I would very much like to see some of the characters move on. Riker's promotion was a long time coming, but what about Picard? Hasn't he saved humanity four or five times over? Janeway gets promoted for finding her way home, and Picard is still a Captain. What about Worf? I thought he was an Klingon Ambassador or something? How do they explain him taking up his old position and uniform? The only character that didn't mysteriously materialize was Obrien! :D
I also found a few things out of place, some of which has been mentioned by others. Such as off-roading on a pre-warp planet? What happened to Picard's reverence for the Prime Directive. Also, since when would a vehicle in the Star Trek universe require "wheels"? As far back as I can remember, the name "Argo" has been Jason's "sea going vessel" (of Jason and the Argonauts fame). If anything, it should have been a either an "all terrain" (land/sea/air) or a submersible shuttle. I expect that something of this nature may have been originally planned, but was changed for budgetary considerations.
Back to the movie. It was fun, it was exciting, and it was sad. The humor seemed more natural and less out of character (i.e. Generations & Insurrection). Take the interaction at the wedding reception or example. For some reason it felt "right" to me as these characters had been together for so long that the formalities outside of operations on the ship are tossed out the window. They are family, and they have fun together. Will it win any awards? Probably not, but that isn't the reason why we love Star Trek.
For me (and I'm a long time fan of Star Trek), it is always good to see the crew together on another adventure. I just want to see "cause & effect" come into play for these characters. How many times would you save the universe without a promotion? ;)
I loved the little details added. Someone mentioned seeing a ship in the fleet named "USS Archer", but did anyone notice the label on the wine bottles at the end? I'm curious to see what other subtle details sit in the background that may pop out on a repeat viewing. What about that mask hanging in Picard's ready room? Does that tie into any of the television episodes?
What would I like to see for the future of the franchise? For starters, a long overdue promotion for Picard to the rank of Admiral. Let the story begin with Riker losing the Titan along with either Troy being killed or taken prisoner. Riker could (with Picard's assistance) either obtain command of Enterprise, or go rogue and "take" (ala Search for Spock) command of Enterprise for an adventure with the possibility of a little quest for revenge or something.
B4 could be relegated to bus-boy or janitorial duties on board Enterprise. Hints of Data's memories would slowly pop up now and then. B4 could eventually take on the identity of Data. I like the idea of taking the ships resident android back to (actually "before") square one. The character of Data was originally intended to be a plot device through which to examine the human condition. Through the years Data has become more human, which has taken away much of the opportunities for compare and contrast. Bringing B4 into the mix, resets the clock so to speak, it "re-silver's" the mirror on humanity.
...what did I say about trying to keep it short? :D
Well, I liked the movie and I'd love to see them create a couple more with the considerations mentioned above.
Just my two cents! ;)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I love Star Trek (the original series and the Next Generation, at least) and I have only two words for the movie:
Unmitigated Disaster
It's the second worst of the series (a half a rung higher than the loathsome Star Trek III) with a truly awful script (John "Time Machine" & "Gladiator" Logan - that should have warned everybody). The actors give it their best, the effects artists worked overtime, Jerry Goldsmith wrote a good score to really try to "sell" the movie. These fine folks were let down by a boring story idea turned into an even worse screenplay (with the lamest dialogue I've heard in years). The direction was dull - considering that the director is an accomplished film editor (Stuart Baird, from Superman and many others), I don't know what happened. The production was cheap (looks like the Enterprise runs with only 5 crewman besides our main cast) and dark - light bulbs apparently having gone out of style in the 23rd century.
Let's put it this way, I hope this thing flops so bad (and it will) that they never make another Trek film. Let it die now...

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from an afternoon showing of NEMESIS, and I liked the film a lot more than I expected to.
The first quarter of the movie is limp, but the movie takes off with the introduction of Shinzon and has excellent characterizations, good dialogue and a space battle that is second only to WRATH OF KHAN in excitement. The cast was uniformly excellent, the special effects were truly special for a change, and I didn't feel let down when the lights came up. This is the first TREK film since UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY that feels like a real movie and not an extended TV episode. Well worth a look, whether you see it on the big screen or wait for the eventual DVD(which should have a kick ass soundtrack).
:star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Saw it tonight. Tinseltown in Jacksonville will be refunding my money due to a bad print ON THE SECOND DAY however...
My wife and I really enjoyed Nemesis. Definitely worthy of being an even numbered Trek film.
The characterization of Shinzon was excellent, better than most recent movie villains let alone Trek villians. The acting was better than ever for these actors. I actually detected 6 distinct emotions from Jon Frakes and Marina Sirtis. I think the director pushed them harder than usual.
We both loved the relevant references to other things in Trek history. This movie tried to integrate with Trek lore instead of lying on the open green.
I personally thought the subplot of Data/B4 was silly, even though some of it was necessary to the plot. Brent Spiner is just not that interesting for me and in non-Trek movies he's always playing roles that Paul Reubens used to get before his career went down the crappa.
In relation to other Trek, TV or cinema, I was most impressed with the design of the ships. I am not sure who does this (art director?) on the set but they deserve an Oscar. It's very rare that ships in space are treated like they have mass and the increase in surface detail on the Enterprise E was impressive and welcome. You still get that silly whoosh that was Roddenberry's trademark when ships are moving around but these ships had gravitas. :) The phasers sounded better, too. They had Doppler effect! What a concept.
A couple of things were bad, such as the pink elephant in the Romulan senate. Strange red thing on desk but nobody notices. Hey it's opening. Hey it's emitting green energy. Let's just sit here. You get my drift. When the schmojeepoojee weapon opened toward the end of the movie the CGI was bad. The wedding scenes were really grainy. Picard grinning in the Argo car was silly, but not bad.
I really think this was the best executed space battle in years in film, period.
Finally I think this was the best sci-fi movie involving cloning in theaters in 2002. And I like Star Wars movies a lot. :) My wife thought so too.
Prologue: My wife is such a Trekker. She squeezed my hand when the main titles started rolling and "Star Trek:Nemesis" came together. I love her. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks