What's new

*** Official "STAR TREK: NEMESIS" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
saw nemesis earlier tonight. I LOVED it. I thought the ending was very appropriate and handled very well.
I wish though that they would use MORE of William Riker as he is an incredible actor as well. Shinzon was cast really well, good acting. I can see this NOT being the last movie as they have a route to go with Riker commanding his own ship and helping Picard in a space battle etc...
Anyone else STILL miss geordis visor? :)
:star: :star: :star: :star:

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Finally saw it today. Heh, I know there are alot of NJersians out here, so did anyone go to the RT 4 Paramus showing at 3:45? If so, you know the first ten minutes of the movie where rather annoying due to some lady bringing in her obnoxiously noisy kids. Hopefully they overheard the semi-loud sigh I did in order to get them to shut the kids up ;). Other than that, no movie noise interuptions.
As far as the movie itself goes....some thoughts. It's not as bad as good as First Contact, but not bad on it's own.
Spoilers contained hereon in :).

High Points
Riker Getting Married, and finally getting his own command.
New Remus aliens are cool. Not an entire bump headed alien in the movie.
Good to see some peace setup for the Romulans and the Federation. Maby Spock and his re-unification had some effect in Logans mind when he was writing the script.
A good TNG Death scene for a change. No Death by Bridge, or Swat by Alien for Data.
Bad Points
No LORE mention! IT almost looked like the characters where thinking about it, but I want to see it brought up, damnit :). If Logan is as big a fan as they want us to beleive, surley he would have loved to mention it and throw us for a curve.
Riker and Bridge battle in Ent E sub decks. The scene was OK, but as soon as I saw the bridge coming loose, I thought, "Oh come on, they already got enough flack for the Kirk scene, why try it again?" Although, as Riker was kicking the Reman off his boot, I expected him to say Kirks infamous line from Trek 3 :).
I didn't particularly care how the movie ended. Dunno why, I just thought something was missing. Maby a nice toast to Data, with the bridge crew memebers looking out the view screen, and then pan up and out of the Enterpirse or something...
Other than that, not as bad a movie as I thought. but a question though. Why the PG-13 rating? There wasn't too much violence in it, and if memory serves, it's the first Trek film to garner such a rathing...
Also, here's an idea for a sequal. Q saves Data's life just before the ship explodes, in payment for Data doing the same for Q in the TNG ep. Not only would it bring Q to the big screen, but give fans a chance to see Data again, if only breifly, heh.

Spoilers Ended :)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Shitzu...my bad on that one. When I saw the word review, I thought this was for people who saw the movie. Hence why I didn't post it in the discussions thread :).
I'll fix it up in a sec

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Well, at least there were no exploding consoles. Just sparkly ones. And there were handgrips!

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
:star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
'Nemesis' is a lifeless entry in the 'Star Trek' movie series. 'First Contact' remains the best entry with the TNG crew. Hope this really is the end. The movie played like a long, boring TV episode. I'm sick of movies where there's an impending disaster & someone saves the day in the last few seconds--jeez, how many times have we seen that kind of crap before! This is when you know the filmmakers have run out of creativity. Yes, 'Nemesis' has lots of action & space battles, but because the story is weak & characters appear tired, we don't care.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
Is this my Enterprise?

I've always had a couple problems with Star Trek films. Firstly, I love TNG the series. I've seen all the episodes numerous times and catch them still on TNN, usually flipping by during a commercial of another show when I stop and think, "this is a really cool part". That's my Enterprise - that beige bridge, those red, blue and gold uniforms that look like PJs, and Data's haircut. When I watch the films, I feel like I'm seeing new people rather than old friends. That's Data, but he's on a different bridge, in a different uniform, and what's with the high helmet hair?

Also, Star Trek was made for TV. It's a TV animal, and as such I've always thought it struggles somewhat in its translation to the big screen. It has a certain reserved demeanor and quaint style that gets lost in the theatre. To compensate, they have to throw in big action scenes and forced humour (Worf has a zit, Worf doesn’t want to be naked, Data has a soft butt, etc…). It’s fun to see them joking like that but it just seems a little out of place. As for the action, the need to insert it to satiate the box office causes it to be forced.

On a episode of TNG, they (SPOILERS from here on) would probably have just beamed the robot parts off the planet. I mean, they could detect them from long range so obviously they could detect them from orbit. Instead, we get an action scene where Picard looks like he’s in the Paris-Dakar rally and Worf is in an episode of Rat Patrol. Again, it’s a fun scene but forced and out of place. And why didn’t they know about the people going to attack them? What about the prime directive?

Then, we have the scene where the bad guys beam onto the ship and Riker and Worf go to stop them. In a TV episode, they would have just erected force fields and the scene would have been over. But here we get a fire fight where the blasts don’t seem to rupture the walls and the security force doesn’t wear any protective gear. (and man are the bad guys horrible shots. Some of the angles had the Enterprise crew just standing in the middle of the corridor picking off bad guys without getting a scratch). This scene exists just to have Riker go after the man who violated Troi.

Then we have the transporter go down so only Picard can beam over to the other ship. This happens so we can get Data’s space flying scene. What about the Argo, and the shuttles, and the ship they took from Shinzon’s ship? Picard says he has to do this alone. Why? Isn’t he trying to destroy this ship and save the Federation? Why doesn’t he take help? Again, it’s contrived so we get the one on one finale that we always seem to get with Picard.

As for the plot of Nemesis, I never understood how Shinzon was able to take over the Romulan Star Empire. Where’s the massive Romulan fleet? Destroyed? And why does he want to destroy Earth? And how did they construct an albeit inferior Data? And how many years ago was Picard cloned? (And why is Wesley in a Starfleet uniform?)

I think a movie has lost you when you start asking all kinds of questions about details in the plot. That’s what happened to me with Nemesis. So much seemed contrived and it was pushing its way to a pre-determined conclusion.

While I really liked First Contact, and find some merit in the other films, including Nemesis, I think the TNG crew to me will always be on a bland, beige bridge, and always wearing silly red, blue and gold uniforms.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Well, lets see. I have all 9 movies, and if I rated them, the lowest would be 3 stars (can I give out negative stars)?
I had reserved a space in my DVD changer for #10, but I'm cancelling it now.

This movie was so very bad, I still can't believe it. Yes, the score and the graphics were nice, but I now see that Berman's pen wrote what I think has got to be the dumbest plot I have seen in years, and yes, that includes even looking at both Voyager and Enterprise.

The wedding wasn't needed at all, but I will say that most TNG fans are used to seeing things that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the plot, so I'll let it go.

Picking up parts of a Data clone. What happened to the San Francisco episode in TNG? Wouldn't that have been a good place to get another head? "Before" (B4) was just too corny for me.

And ok, they are on their way to meet up with the rest of the fleet. They know where the fleet is and I'm sure that the fleet was following their course towards them. Then they stop. The fleet just sits there. (Hey, the Enterprise isn't moving any more! Do you think they might be in some kind of trouble? Maybe we should go and help?)

No, No, No! And, spoilers aside, their help limps away. They couldn't contact the rest of the fleet either? Knowing how desperate the situation was, I would have.

And then the crash. Would it have been too much to gather together every able-bodied crewperson on the Enterprise to arm themselves and board the other ship?

I did hear that this was going to be the last movie. I do hope so.

Glenn

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I'm a casual ST fan, and I hated this movie. Happily, it's tanking at the box office, which I hope will signal the death of this franchise which has been milked nearly beyond recognition. ST:TNG had some fantastic moments as a TV series, but it never translated to the big screen in any truly entertaining or innovative fashion.

Patrick Stewart is too talented to continue to attach himself to ST. I used to think Brent Spiner had talent as well, but I'm no longer certain. Frakes is as wooden as they come, and the rest of the cast is as unappealing on the big screen as one could fear they would be.

Stepping off of soapbox...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
SPOILER-FREE review
Here's my ST history: liked the original TV series for its campiness "Bones...we've...got to get...out of here!", was a rather big fan of TNG, and absolutely couldn't tell you a thing about Deep Space Nine, Voyager or that other one with Bakula. I really liked First Contact, and didn't hate Insurrection (grade of C).
I thought that Nemesis was a darned fun ride. I didn't think too much during the movie, just sort of went along for the ride, so I didn't really note too many inconsistencies in plot or logic because I wasn't looking for it. Patrick Stewart is amazing as always, and I liked the general storyline and concept. I definitely came out thinking "can't wait to get this on DVD."
:star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
This movie personifies the original Star Trek's third season in spades. There's enough artificial exitement, erosion of format and worn-out plot devices to gag a Horta.

Author David Gerrold ("The Trouble With Tribbles") warned us about this sort of thing way back in 1973 with The World of Star Trek. Guess nobody running Trek these days ever read that book.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised to hear myself say this, since I really wanted to like this film, but after I left the theater I was sincerely convinced Nemesis was the worst installment yet.
It was stated the film's initial cut was nearly three hours, and thats easy to see watching the final version: there seems as if there was a lot of story left out, and the film suffers from it severely. Much of the dialogue was weak, although the effects were very nicely done, but the movie just didn't seem like it was taking place on a grand scale - all the sets seemed small without any detail to them - or there wasn't enough light to make any out. First Contact seems much more bigger in comparison; the fact that the script is basically Wrath of Khan recycled for the Next Gen crew doesn't help matters either.
My biggest problem was the scene where the crew heads down to pick up the pieces of B4. They drive around in this ridiculous CRV, then senselessly battle the planet's inhabitants, barely making their escape. Also, why was Worf back working on the Enterprise? Why no mention or suspicion of Lore?

In short, I sincerely hope the next film still features the
Next Gen crew, where they're consistent with their past and at least get a great send off before their curtain comes down...

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
I have been interested in reading these reviews. I liked Nemesis quite a bit--much more than I thought I would. It certainly has major problems, as has been mentioned (no need to rehash here), but I didn't think the cast looked "old" or "worn out" as has been described by some critics.
Perhaps I enjoyed it more for going in with such low expectations (after having read several reviews, including here on HTF), but I'll give this one a solid B, or :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: .
there you go
tony

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
Just one more thing: Nemesis may turn out to be a film that will grow on people with HT viewings. Not just the effects (which are good) but it's just that kind of movie--you will watch it with friends.
who knows?
tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks