What's new

*** Official "STAR TREK: NEMESIS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well the Hollywood Reporter review was positive, I have to see it with my own eyes before dismissing it out of hand, if this is a duff entry in the series than thats really sad, because its most probably the last one.

As for Q appearing in a future installment... I don't know Q is a very tv-ish creation, he is all but winking at the camera in the show, all the Q episodes except the Borg one have been goofy 'Trouble with Tribbles' types, enjoyable but I can't imagine that stuff on the big screen. Bring back the Borg I say for one last decisive humungous battle, destroy the bastards once and for all.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'll see it, because, well, it's Star Trek. Even if the plot and character development is thin (typical of ST movies anyway) I'm hoping for some good CGI and special effects with some good action, that's all.
I've never liked Picard and think Riker would make a much better captain.
Peace Out~:D

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Fearing that my money will be wasted, I'll wait to RENT the DVD. Like so many of us here, I used to really like Trek but after Voyager, Insurrection, and this 2nd season of Enterprise, my worst Klingon fears have been realized: Trek has lost it's honor.

Seth_S

Second Unit
On Q in a trek film:

On the TV show, Q was basically used to create outrageous "what if" scenarios, such "what if Picard died and he was given a second chance", "what if the entire crew found themselves in the plot of Robin Hood", or "what if the enterprise was thrown light years into unknown space and pitted against an unbeatable enemy". His character could be used to break the tedium of the enterprise saving earth, civilization, or some other planet. Like the Bond series, the stakes are always too high, and it the films become all about the plot, and not about the characters.

So if the writers were smart (now there's a what if), they could use Q to create a character driven story. I'm sure it would also be very easy to come up with some plot where Q enlists the aid of the enterprise, or Picard is forced to accept him as a member of the crew.

At the very least, you get John de Lancie and are guaranteed some great scenes with him arguing with Picard.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
I'm terribly amused at reading some of the reactions to the film, or reactions to the word of mouth about it.
[Nelson Munz laugh] Ha! Ha! [/Nelson Munz laugh]
"Safe Trek" strikes again!
Just what did you expect???
May I make a suggestion for the Trek faithful everywhere? Whenever you read early on that an actor from the show has had a hand in "writing the story" . . . . . RUN LIKE HELL INTO THE NIGHT, NAKED, SCREAMING, "All is marketing! May the farce be with you!"
[Nelson Munz laugh] Ha! Ha! [/Nelson Munz laugh]

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
As far as Q in a good story: Has anyone read "Q-Squared" from many years back. It was a really good read and gave a lot of insight into the Q and Q himself. Plus, for once when it tied TOS and TNG for a few pages, it was actually believable and maintained the timeline and it brought back a great character from TOS.

Chuck Anstey

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
The problem with the Borg is that they've been done to death. They are no longer even remotely scary or threatening, since basically they've been reduced to Alien Menace of the Week Who Gets Their Ass Kicked.

I used to be a major Trek fan, but I've waned seriously in the last few years (Babylon 5 had a great deal to do with this). I didn't even bother seeing INSURRECTION -- it sounded like everything that annoyed me about Trek.

I agree that a major change needs to happen -- and actually bothering to use some of the great continuity/history that all the series have set up couldn't hurt either. One of my largest annoyances has been the current Trek Powers That Be and their Soviet-style revisionism in re-writing or flat out ignoring past history established by the earlier series. Out of all the core Federation aliens, only the Vulcans are commonly seen. Whatever happened to the Andorans, the Terrarite, and so forth?

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone here a Star Trek fan? Can you at least wait to see the film before you bash it? It seems like everyone here is determined that it suck, despite the trailers looking fantastic. No more than four people could have mentioned that they knew someone who saw it, and those opinions seemed pretty split. Who cares? If you like Star Trek or think the previews look good, go see it. If not, then don't. And if you think Trek sucks so much, then why are you even bothering to post here? I know this is a novel idea in this day and age, but how about we wait until actually seeing the film before passing judgement on it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Whatever happened to the Andorans, the Terrarite, and so forth?
The Andorians make somewhat regular appearances on Enterprise. I believe they are due for their third appearance on next week's show. I'm not sure, as I forgot to turn off the VTR this evening, so I didn't get to see next week's preview. I'll have to catch it on Saturday.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Just watched tonight.. got into a "sneek" preview with a small group..

Here's my brief thoughts before I go to bed:

(1) I feel bad for Gates McFadden and Lavar Burton. (Geordi & Dr. Crusher) who might as well have not been in the film, for as often as they show up. Also felt bad for Michael Dorn (Worf) who is not the "proud warrior" with a lot of story lines as he was on DS9, but seemingly the red-skelton drunkard of the film.

(2) Patrick Stewart can make even bad lines sound good; and did so at many moments.

(3) The film is more exciting then I had originally thought, the action plays well, and a lot of moments that seems as though they should be bad, aren't. In fact, the storyline isn't that bad, the play is OK, etc.

That having been said, I guess my biggest problem is what they didn't do. Look at it this way: the Romulans have always been one of the greatest "secret enemies" of the federation. Because of that, they were part of some of the better TNG moments. Which led to part of this film being a real dissapointment.

Sometimes I wish that B&B could go back and look at what really worked with "Wrath of Khan" where we successfully wrapped up a plot line that started within the series. If you're going to take on the romulans, then where is Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) who made so many great appearances as her daughter and a high commander within the empire in later seasons? The idea of introducing Romulans, but seemingly romulans who have no connection to those within the show (as well as the odd, and seemingly strange partner world bit of Remus) still leaves my head swimming a bit.

No, the movie isn't bad. But if I were not a trekkie, I would walk out confused. Even as a trekkie, I walk out and wonder a bit about what the heck just went on. If I knew nothing about TNG, the movie would be pointless and pretty bad. Knowing TNG, it's fair to decent, but not spectacular. Some moments within it, though, are fantastic, and the acting is better then most other trek movies.

There are so many interesting plots from the series, villains who fled or things that happened that -could- be developed, that to concoct a villain we have almost no attachment with isn't the greatest solution. I am not going to write up a review, too late, I'm too tired. It's better then I expected it to be, not as good as I wanted it to be, and some of the subplots made no sense. Also, bad bit for the women, who seemed to mostly be used as sex toys - sad none of them ran into a character like Jadzia Dax or Kira as female role models.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
(1) I feel bad for Gates McFadden and Lavar Burton. (Geordi & Dr. Crusher) who might as well have not been in the film, for as often as they show up. Also felt bad for Michael Dorn (Worf) who is not the "proud warrior" with a lot of story lines as he was on DS9, but seemingly the red-skelton drunkard of the film.
Thats upsetting. Especially Worf who is one of, if not my favorite ST character.

I don't particularly mind the focus of some of these stories being on the Captain (A good number of the old films focused on Kirk for instance) but to continually kill the presence of such a great supporting cast (as has been done in the last couple of films) is just ridiculous.

I'll still be going to see the movie this weekend no matter what though and of course I'll reserve judgement until then.

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think anyone that's seen it has commented on the main baddie Shinzon, from what Ive seen he looks pretty good, not close to Khan but still.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Patrick Stewart can make even bad lines sound good; and did so at many moments
Yes! And that is one reason I will be playing hooky Friday afternoon, leaving work and hitting the theatre. A Trek film is an occasion, and in this fan's eyes, puts it above most other dreck in the theatre these days. The only character that I wish we can get more of is Worf. Riker too, but I have no problem if the story is Picard/Data heavy. Patrick Stewart is a great actor, and I'm happy that he's a big part of my favorite franchise.

Engage!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Geez people are quick to blast a movie they haven't seen, after reading a rather unprofessional review from a questionable reviewer. (Like others.. I feel that as soon as an author has the need to use four-letter-words all over their review that they have little or no credibility as a "professional" reviewer.)
Personally... I hardly ever lend creedence to reviewers ANYWAY. My tastes are my own. I know I'm in the minority here... but I didn't MIND Insurection. It wasn't GREAT... and probably would have been more at home during the series.. but it certainly wasn't as bad as Trek V. (At least I agree with most folks there... V bites.)
A request though...any chance we could NOT turn this into a typical bash-Berman-and-Braga thread? I mean... they didn't write and direct this flick, right? :) (Sorry.. as a Trek fan.. I get tired of every little perceived flaw being blamed on B&B.)
I must be strange... I enjoy Enterprise too. Ah well.
Anywho... I'll be seein this in the theatre. :D

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
Tony, you're not that strange. I'm an Enterprise fan too (it's a helluva lot better than Voyager), and I even will go so far as to say (gasp!) that I liked Insurrection. I'm fired up for tomorrow.

JayJ

Auditioning
I agree with others who've seen "Nemesis." I saw it 3 weeks ago and it's a tremendous disappointment. Among the worst in the series. A lackluster effort on the part of all. I don't doubt that the creative personnel involved are trying hard to make a good film, I just think they lack the true creative vision -- the raw talent -- to make the kind of film we're all pining for and that we think "Trek" deserves. It feels small, slow, and it's dramatically light as a feather, making it no better than a sub-par 2-parter of the TNG television series.

BTW, enough with the Harry Knowles bashing. If you want a professional review, complete with an editor's corrections, try another site. Despite Knowles' ability to get snug with various members of the entertainment community, Aint-It-Cool is largely a fan site where Joe Average can voice his/her opinion in their own voice without fear of having their grammar critiqued.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Knowles takes a public stand with his illiterate rants and he very much sets himself up for criticism. And with such a ludicrously amateur "review" as that, you better believe some of us are going to question his credibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks