What's new

*** Official "Rogue Leader" Review & Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Dean;

When taking out the shield generators up by the command deck, stick to the back side of the Star Destroyer. That should keep you away from those guns. You'll just have to go for the bottom one though, I afraid. Just don't be afraid to use any proton torpedos.

Of course, if you had a laser tech upgrade, which is accessible before Razor Redezvous, shooting down those shield generators might not be that difficult.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
An easier way to take out the Star Destroyer with the B-wing:

Press the R Button to speed up when approaching the SD. It will make it easier to evade its lasers, but you cannot use your weapons, since the S-Foils are closed. At the last minute, open your S-Foils and hit the shield towers with everything you've got. Then Press R again to speed up to escape. It will take several passes to destroy them.Use this same tactic with the bottom of the ship and the command tower.

Right now I'm on Bespin. Those frickin' gun turrets are so damn hard to kill!

By the way, how do you get the laser upgrade?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I think the problem with having to buy the bundle is I have 3 games to play instead of the one I would have bought (RL). The only one of the three that I am having success at is Luigi (up to the 3rd level after about 8 hours of play).
As far as Rogue Leader (about 12 hours of play). I have gotten up to Hoth, but have no points, medals, or power-ups.
Can someone direct me to whatever power-ups (better shields, missiles, etc.) that are in the first couple levels.
Also, what's the secret to beating the two racers to the city?

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I breezed through the first 3 levels, but I'm having a hell of a time on the Prison on Maw level.

I'm just a little confused about what to do when in space, and the part right after that.

I managed to fluke through the space part once, not really knowing what/or how I did it. So once I got to the next part of the level I died almost right away because my ships health is way down.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've made it to the second part of the level twice(again by fluke). The second time though I had a little more health left. It took me forever to bomb the laser towers though. This is actually where I died... with one laser tower to go. Since I was flying around for so long looking for all of them I was getting shot A LOT!

Well, if someone could so kindly help me through what to do in this level I would be sooooo greatful.

Thanks.

Andrew

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Andy,

At the start of the level, fly towards the big ships. You will then get to a force field. Use your Ion cannons (hold down 'B' until your targeting reticle turns blue) and blast three of the shield control units. Just make sure you turn around after the third. When you arrive on the planet, fly kind of high while bombing the gun towers. To bring up your bombing target dispay, tap 'B' and then tap it agin to launch a bomb.

-Dean-

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I'm a bit behind you all - just finished the Hoth level.glad that I bought this game!!!

I just need some time to play it. (my fiancee' isn't the biggest SW fan..)

Calvin

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Dean,

Thanks for the help. The shield control machines, these are the things that are at each corner of the shields? So If I just take out the top three that's enough? I've been shooting them with my Ion Cannon, but I wasn't really sure if it was doing anything because they don't actually blowup.

The other thing that gives me trouble is all those tie fighters that keep getting on my tail. My ship is too slow to catch up to them and/or outrun them, so I end up getting hit a lot.

Well, I've set aside sometime tonight to play RL. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Andrew

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
There is a pretty nice three-page article in the new Entertainment Weekly (#627 with Smallville on the cover) entitled, "A Star is Reborn", chronicling the roughly nine months it took Factor 5 to crank out Rogue Leader. It's a quick,fun read (this is EW after all!) and it's especially interesting to learn about the pitch meeting that took place at LucasArts. If you see it on the newstand, you should really take a few moments to thumb through it.

Gary

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Andy;

When you approach the shield, bring up your targeting computer. It will highlight the shield generators you need to disable in yellow. When you take one out, you will hear Wedge say something like, "Two more to go." That's your queue to take out the others. The generators won't blow up if you shoot them with the ion canon. That weapon just disables them.

As for the TIEs, if you get one (or more) on your tail, increase your speed and fly as fast as you can while turning. The TIEs will chase you when you do. Then, in the middle of the turn, brake hard, and continue turning in the same direction. That should get them off your back.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Well, I finally got by Razor Rendevous (went back and got a couple of power ups). I am now on the next mission with the downed Star Destroyer in the water. My God is this level jaw-dropping beautiful. :eek:
Every level keeps getting better and better. I love this game. :)
-Dean-

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I hate not having a cube right now...my life has lost meaning.

I'll have to be satisfied with Metal Gear Solid 2 for now.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I hate not having a cube right now...my life has lost meaning
Welcome to the club! :D I need to hide my copies of Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion, they keep taunting me.
Dan (UK)
PS: In everyone's instruction manual for Rogue Leader, is there is missprint as there is in mine? Where there should be a pic of a Snowspeeder there is a pic of an A-Wing... Not having anything to play the game on has just got me reading the game manuals for once...

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
You are correct Dan. Just last night I was reading the manual and did a double take, it is indeed the A-Wing and not the Snowspeeder.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The Yavin/Death Star level is a great way to start the game, and it engrossed me much more than Starfighter did. I noticed that some of the voice acting was pulled directly from the films, but other examples (like "use the force, Luke!"
were obviously actor interpretations, and poor ones at that.

Just how many scenes from the original trilogy are shown during the menu options? I noticed so many random clips from Episodes 4-6, I couldn't keep count.

The third level, Hoth, impressed me a lot. It really captured the size and scope of the AT-AT attack much more effectively than any previous attempt to do so. I absolutely loved going into speeder cockpit view and racing toward a couple of Walkers.
I have been waiting to re-enact that sequence in a videogame ever since the Atari 2600 version of The Empire Strikes Back!

Once at the Prisons of Maw level, shaking those Fighters and Interceptors became such a chore that I gave up. Thanks, J.Fo, for the tip on avoiding them.

However, I do not own a Cube (was playing at a friend's) and won't for the forseeable future. I marvel at the fortune of some of the HTFers here who can waltz into a B&M and pick one up. Living in Silly Valley does not afford me that opportunity.

Cheers,

Joseph

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I've just found out a really cool little 'cheat' for the game from Gamespot. I've not got a Cube yet, so this is unconfirmed, but in a nice nod to some fellow developers...

the password LIONHEAD will make the game run in Black & White apparently!

Raphael

Stunt Coordinator
Just played the Battle of Endor level last night. When those 200+ TIEs rushed at me all en masse with nary a slowdown, lasers blazing, followed by that famous line, "There's too many of them!!"...

I haven't had an ear-to-ear grinning gaming moment like that in a while. :D Of course, I got creamed shortly after, but man was that a cool experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks