What's new

***Official "PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Leon is awesome...and almost 10 years old. I thought she was poor in her other recent attempts. And AWFUL in AOTC.

She was great in Leon, but hasn't dazzled since. And I agree she is a truly beautiful girl.

Take care,
Chuck

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I thought Portman was good in Beautiful Girls as well.

And as far at AOTC goes, the bad acting may be the movie itself more so than some of the actors. (And no one flame me for Lucas-bashing, I am not doing that. I am a big a fan as anyone who grew up Luke and Leia.)

I thought Hayden Christensen was a bad actor as well after seeing AOTC. Then I saw Life as a House. He really shined in that role, IMHO.:emoji_thumbsup:

And to restate, I am only making a point, not SW bashing!:)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I've seen it twice now, and let me just say...if you think you enjoyed it the first time, GO see it again. It's definitely well worth the price of a second movie ticket.
Yep, have to agree with this sentiment and from it's box office, looks like a lot of other people are going for repeat viewings. I loved it the first time, but enjoyed it even more the second time around with a more leisurely viewing.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I saw this last night with my girlfriend. Good movie. Horrible movie watching experience. Must be the matinees. We saw the show that began at 4:20 p.m. The four kids next to us could not for the life of them see any reason why they should not stop kicking the bannister in front of us. And the two teenagers behind us felt it necessary every 15 minutes to kick our chairs.

It sucked.

*sigh* It was a really good movie... I just couldn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked.

Scott.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
i got to this movie late..only saw it a couple weeks ago..pirate is one of my favorite rides at disneyland.
I heard only good things about th movie..
but I didnt like it as much as I expected to..
I give it a C
I liked Gigli more
the movie didnt have any surprises in it for me.. ..by just looking the movie poster. the skull's bandana and jewlry hanging from it...I could assume a certain charater was is or going to be a cursed pirate at some point.. maybe the waiting for that took away from my enjoyment

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I saw this movie yesterday and thought it was a fun movie. I liked the references to the ride. No one mentioned the pirate chasing the fat lady when they are on Tortuga. Just like in the ride. Overall I would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars since I thought it was a tad too long, probably by 15-20 minutes. I too would cut the banter between the two soldier buddies. Other than that, it was a very good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
I like the movie, but not like Depp's character. The director tries too hard to make the audience consider him a loveable rogue and find his many idiosyncrasies endearing and amusing. But like Brad Pitt's character in "12 Monkeys" I simply find him annoying and unfunny. Not to mention that he looks completely completely ridiculous, like a teenager dressed up as a pirate for Halloween, with his heavy makeup and wig. I can't imagine Geoffrey Rush's character serving under him. No wonder he mutinied.
The only way this film would have worked is if the Sparrow character is played over the top. Depp understood this and that's what makes him great. If he had played him straight or any more restrained than he did, the film would have been flat. Depps performance is the heart and soul of the film.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Hi,

Just watched POTC on DVD. Entertaining film.

A few questions (couldn't find the discussion thread from earlier in the summer with the Search function) which I may have missed from the film:

* Why does Elizabeth recognize Gibbs? Was Gibbs a former British military man?

* How come Elizabeth doesn't turn cadaverous when she has the coin? Does the curse only affect pirates? Or only those who take a coin from the chest?

* Why was Bootsrap Bill's blood (or Will's) needed to lift the curse?

Thanks!

Joe

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
They needed the blood of a pirate.
More specifically, they needed the blood of every pirate who had taken a coin from the chest. Bootstrap Bill was the only one who hadn't added his blood to the chest, which is why they needed his son's blood. It's also why Jack Sparrow cut his hand when he put his coin back in the chest, because it's the only way to lift the curse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks