What's new

Pirates of the Caribbean reboot (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I predict the reboot will happen, and the 2nd film in this reboot series will bring Depp back.

Well, that wouldn't be a reboot, would it? If Depp's character exists in the world of the movie, it would be in the same continuity as the other films.

I really don't like how Hollywood has started lately to use "reboot" when they don't mean it. "Reboot" is like when Batman Begins came along but had nothing to do with the continuity from the earlier Burton/Schumacher Batman films. If they're just bringing back a series that has been dormant with another installment, then that's a sequel, like how The Force Awakens is a sequel to Return of the Jedi even though they were separated by about three decades. It's not 100% clear from the articles about this project whether it is a true reboot in terms of starting a new continuity or just an attempt to take the existing continuity in a somewhat different direction. And Pirates hasn't even been dormant long enough to generate interest on the level of being the first new film in a long time, because the fifth one was out two years ago.

Depp continues to be in legal hot water -- he was supposed to be in court last week over allegations that he attacked a crew member on a film set, and that trial was pushed to next May -- plus, of course, there's the ongoing drama between him and Amber Heard about his allegedly beating her during their relationship, which supposedly resulted in his injury that delayed production on Pirates 5. Even in a world where all of this isn't true, he is a PR liability now, especially for a family-friendly company like Disney. Although the return of Depp after skipping an installment, as you suggest, would generate buzz around the movie, I really don't see Disney wanting to endure the PR headache that he creates. It would be better if they are able to find a way to continue the series without him, because that way they avoid the issue and don't have to pay his extremely high payday that he's accustomed to on one of these, either.

That being said, although I no longer consider myself a Depp fan, I will acknowledge that he made such an imprint on this particulars series that figuring out what a Pirates film looks like without him is a considerable challenge for Disney. If they can do it, that would be to their advantage, but that's probably harder to come up with than just making another Jack Sparrow adventure that looks and feels like all the rest of them did.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Old Walt is rolling in his grave over the creative bankruptcy brought to Disney since Eiger's ascension. Not even at the height of Esiner's rule was Disney so devoid of originality and new ideas.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Well, that wouldn't be a reboot, would it? If Depp's character exists in the world of the movie, it would be in the same continuity as the other films.

Absolutely agree.

But this is Hollywood, where a decision one day is alive and well, and dead the next. They could completely start this new series with every intention of ignoring Depp forever, and then some genius at one of the meetings might say "wouldn't it be amazing to see Jack Sparrow again? People want that", and they'd make it an event.

Much of this would depend on which way the wind is blowing with regard to Depp when this idea comes along. They might just reckon his past would well be a distant bad dream and he's forgiven. Not quite exactly the same scenario, but no one would have predicted that Robert Downey Jr. would become what he is today five years before Iron Man.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Absolutely agree.

But this is Hollywood, where a decision one day is alive and well, and dead the next. They could completely start this new series with every intention of ignoring Depp forever, and then some genius at one of the meetings might say "wouldn't it be amazing to see Jack Sparrow again? People want that", and they'd make it an event.

Much of this would depend on which way the wind is blowing with regard to Depp when this idea comes along. They might just reckon his past would well be a distant bad dream and he's forgiven. Not quite exactly the same scenario, but no one would have predicted that Robert Downey Jr. would become what he is today five years before Iron Man.

Well, in much the same way that Peter Sellers became the focus of The Pink Panther series when he was just part of the ensemble in the first film, Depp became the focus of the Pirates films.

Personally, I see no reason to restart/reboot/remake this series except as a cash grab. I like Ms. Robbie quite a bit and wish she would dedicate her talents toward some other endeavor.

But this stands on the formula, put someone good looking in the suit and remake/reboot/stick to known properties.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I like them all, but they are all too long. I don't have a problem with Johnny Depp in them.
Who else, however, might be considered?

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I like them all, but they are all too long.
I generally agree that these movies are too long, even though I have enjoyed them all. But the one exception in my book was At World’s End. Even though it clocks in at the longest I found it to be paced beautifully and the near 3 hour runtime flys by and keeps me constantly engaged throughout. Back in 2007 felt like the perfect grand-finale of sorts to what could have been a trilogy, though I’m not complaining that they kept going. It’s really the poor pacing of the other films that make it hard for me to justify re-watching them more often. But when I do I’m reminded of how fun this franchise is regardless, but wish they had shown better judgment and restraint.

The franchise won’t be the same without Depp, and I may very well skip due to his absence. Though I do love Margot Robbie, so I can’t say I won’t give it a shot…

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I thought that they were trying some Karen Gillen as "Red" from the revamped ride for that corporate synergy action. Guess she's not a big enough star.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I can't muster up much enthusiasm for a Pirates reboot (the original run was getting pretty tired by the last two films), unless it is animated. That would be fun to watch.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney doesn't need to rehire Depp. When the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise launched back in 2003, it was pretty much Disney's only big budget live-action tentpole series. Now, they own Marvel and Lucasfilm and Avatar via Fox. They have also had a very lucrative run of live-action remakes of their animation catalog, which is essentially a brand unto itself. As such, another Pirates movie would be one piece of their live-action slate. If they can find a way to do another one, I'm sure they'll do it. But the fact that they now have all of these other huge franchises going makes it less essential to bring Pirates back than it would have been before. And if they do bring it back, I certainly think they have more of an opportunity to not use Depp and do something else with the property because Pirates is no longer their golden goose. It might be wise to reinvent it. Right now, I think Depp could use Pirates more than Pirates could use Depp.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The only thing that could get me excited about another Pirates movie would be a fresh take — a direction they seemed to be going in with Margot Robbie.

When, IMO, there hasn’t been a good Pirates movie in 19 years, I really don’t need to see the return of Johnny Depp.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Deadline has this news.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/pirate...tt-reese-paul-wernick-johnny-depp-1202488160/

Details are pretty vague, basically all we know I put in the thread title, but the word "reboot" would at least suggest that this will be a break from the continuity established in the existing films.

Given the PR nightmare that Johnny Depp has become recently, I can't imagine Disney wanting to continue employing him, as his alleged misdeeds are far more significant than old tweets. The most recent Pirates film did $794m worldwide last year, but only $172m of that was from North America, which is a low point by a significant margin.

I wonder though: even if they throw out all the continuity from the previous films, is this still a property people will care to go see in a new iteration? I used to be a huge fan of it, but it feels like they've run it into the ground. And even if the answer is yes, is it wise to reboot it so soon after the fifth film in the initial run?

Disney has a lot of things working for them right now -- the live-action remakes, Marvel, and Star Wars (mostly, except for Solo.) Pirates just feels like a franchise that was big for them before they had all of those things but might not be as important now as when it was first created.

Thought?
They were fun, but I say leave it alone....don't keep Zomie-fiying old titles, just for the money!!! What's next Escaoe fron Witch Mountain 6? Pirate Zombie Apocalypse 15?
Scared Horror GIF by Pirate's Parley

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It sounds like they still have a film in development, just not the one proposed by Robbie. Bruckheimer said they were in preliminary development on two possible scripts back in May. It sounds like they've dropped the Robbie script but may still be moving ahead with the other (per the story at Variety).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks