What's new

*** Official NAPOLEON DYNAMITE Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea how to review this film. It got quite a few uncomfortable laughs out of me, and it was just so bizarre and pitiful at times, you just wonder how these characters function from minute to minute, much less from scene to scene. Having a lead character whose mouth is pretty much agape all the time, while looking down in most scenes was just stressful and uninvolving. Napolean is pretty crabby, and a dorkish personality, and there's no pretense to make him all that sympathetic, which was refreshing. Oddly enough, it made him more 3-dimensional, though his personality is flat and oddly harsh at times.

The strange friendship between Napolean and Pedro has to be one of the most low energy friendships ever captured on film. Napoleon's courtship of Deb also qualifies as one low-ebb connection, so odd, indeed. Napolean's brother and his uncle also provide some awfully strange subplots.

Did I laugh during this film? Yes. I just can't tell if I was laughing at the film, or with the film.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

KyleK

Second Unit
Just saw this at the local arthouse. It was great! In a "I felt like one of those guys in high school but wasn't" way. I particularly liked the choice of music at the end and the credits. I was dissapointed that my theater apparently did not get the extra 5 minute scene advertised after it was released.

BTW, I couldn't find a discussion/review thread, maybe this could be one?

Kyle:D

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I saw it with my wife and a few friends this weekend. We all thought it was hilarious. We were in agreement that high school was an awkward period that we are glad is well behind us.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
...or double-suhweeet.

Terry St

Second Unit
Napoleon Dynamite is sort of like a trip to a witty dentist. There are some pretty good laughs seperated by long stretches of tedium and pain. The flick could probably be edited down to an absolutely hilarious 30 minutes, but at 82 minutes it's mostly padding. Still, that's more than can be said for a lot of comedies. Good flick. Not great. Just good.

:star::star:1/2 / :star::star::star::star:

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
I predict this movie will be a cult classic. Lot's of quotable moments, and lots of laughs in the full SUnday afternoon screening I attended today.

I'd give it a :star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I can't describe in words how hard I laughed "with/at" this film. Off-beat to say the least, but the packed theater I was in, was in stitches. I wouldn't know who to recommend it to. I predict a bit of a cult when this one hits dvd. I think I'm a bit confused like Patrick. Although he describes the mood of the film quite well. For me, much like Ghost World, I will revisit this one many times, quoting the dialog and randomly laughing out loud when I reflect on certain scenes.

A-/ 3.5 stars

We should correct the spelling in the title.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Napoleon Dynamite". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks