What's new

*** Official LARA CROFT TOMB RAIDER: THE CRADLE OF LIFE Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Being quite a little fan of the first film...I was excited to see this...and since Jan DeBont was directing...I was in! He has more talent in his index finger than Simon West will ever have...and I was not disappointed! Was a great...grand...terrific adventure movie...it was so nice seeing real locations and stunts...I enjoyed it immensely...the characters were well rounded...the action...just great...Angelina looked amazing...the FX were terrific...and the cinematography...sweet! The opening shot is just gorgeous! IMO...she gives Indy a run for his money with this flick...

5/5

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There is no snap to this film. I thought the characters were bland and lifeless. The stuntwork left me underwhelmed. The locales were sort of interesting, but shot in a manner that just didn't really connect with me.

I didn't think the direction by de Bont was all that good, nor was the script all that interesting. It gets far too predictable towards the end of the film.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Being a huge Tomb Radier fan, I rushed to see this today. Overall I was very impressed, the first movie is no where near as good as the this one. I loved all the different locations, the underwater temple being my favorite.
This flim seemed to fly by, where as the first one kind of dragged with Lara and her Father, this one is just pure action/adventure. It's a very fun summer action movie, maybe not as good as Pirates or Terminator, but still a good flim none the less, all the different locales are great, Greece, Hong Kong, Africa, Underwater, and lots of great FX and stunts. I sure hope that they continue to do more movies, maybe one that actually has some good old Egypt Tomb Raiding. :)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Just got back from seeing this. For the first time in a long time, I almost fell asleep during a movie. About the only thing I found interesting were the shots of Angelina in the diving outfit. Mmmmmmmmmmm.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Other than that I thought it was pretty bland and lifeless.

:star::star: out of :star::star::star::star::star:

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I have to agree w/Chris more than anyone else about this. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Better than TR1 (admittedely that's not saying much), and better than the Hulk, LGX, and most of the other summer action films (i'd put it behind only POTC and T3). The action was quick and fast, AJ was hot hot hot (duh), and the ending didn't wimp out with her and her boy 'friend'.

Only real complaint is that it ran about 15 minutes too long. Shoulda been about 1:40, not 1:55.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
THis was a terrible movie...

- out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

The action was absolutely terrible. It did everything we've seen before the only semi-cool scenes was the motor cycle and punching the shark. The movie was boring... I don't recommend this to anyone

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I didnt see the first one in the theatre because reviews but I caughtD and really enjoyed it.
So, of course I wanted to see this new movie in the theatre.
I was dissapointed and actually thought the first one was better.
Considering most of the reviews said that this had more of a plot, I didnt think it could miss but it was dull and overly bloated.
Is it possible they went too far to the ther extreme from the last movie and tried to make it more plot orriented?
We are treated to scene after scene of them talking, then switching locations, then trying to get the treasure and then changing locations and then doing much of the same thing over again.
It just didnt click with me.

Then at the end:
We dont even get much of a pay off because she decides to leave Pandoras Box behind. How about a climatic scene where they are trying to open the box and a fight between good and evil. We could have had a little tension to finish off the movie. Instead the end just kinda comes and we get a little funny scene around the campfire. Wheres the payoff????

I am guessing from the boxoffice results that this wont be around too long. Opening in #4 is not a good sign.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
A very bad movie whose premise is really a hyped up sightseeing tour through different countries, sprinkled with pseudo action, slow-mo and "emotional" scenes sprinkled in between.

I wasn't expecting much at all, just to be entertained with a few action scenes, but the action scenes themselves were very bland.

And why is a mad scientist such a skilled fighter? :)

:star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Zero stars.

I cannot even summon the words to describe how bad this film was. It took every fiber of my being not to walk out after the first five minutes and, by the end, I was cursing myself for having stayed.

With most bad films, I can find something redeeming about it, something I liked - a particular scene, character, etc. Here, there is absolutely nothing I ever want to see again.

The only thing this film accomplishes is making every other bad adventure film a little bit better by comparison.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Clearly, some people have enjoyed this one. For myself, I cannot fathom why. Having seen it, I would rather watch a telethon, C-SPAN, or static. But that's me. If you can live without $3, you could risk a rental on it. Spend any more than that at your own peril. Caveat Emptor!

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Yes.....I have to agree with the doomed outlook on this sequel. Too bad really. I enjoyed the first movie quite a bit. This one fell quite short. I was hoping for more and left feeling cheated. Was it the ending?(didn't care for it, seemed incomlpete. I remember thinking "Is that it?!?!?) Was it the action scenes?(definatley not as good as the first and not as action packed) This one clearly was not as good as the first.

I'd give it 1.5 out of 5

Definate renter but don't buy unless you NEED it to add to your Lara Croft Collection.

Later
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks