What's new

*** Official KNOWING Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

My second biblical-level origin story in two days. Both taking place at the end of the world. What fantastic time for science fiction again.
What was the other one?

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Also this was Alex Proyas's first film shot with digital cameras (ironically, Summit Entertainment doesn't release films digitally). The cameras used capture images in 4k+ or slightly greater than the functional resolution of 35mm film. It's the first digitally shot movie where I never suspected it was digital.
I was surprised to read this. I watched this on Blu-ray Saturday night and didn't really think about the medium on which it was shot. I just enjoyed the visuals and got involved in the storytelling. That's a good thing.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Got my UK BD today. PQ is pretty good I would say 8/10. Stunning razor sharp detail & accurate colour rendering. Audio to me is 8/10 as not really much more than a regular std big budget action soundscape. Extras are pretty poor however (1 x EPK style doc, 1 x scientist(s) doc which is all what would/could happen & pretty silly, Director commentary, TV spots & Trailer). No Nic Cage anywhere so he is obviously not supporting this movie for the home market release for some reason!! Please do not look at the extra's or show them to anyone who has not seen the movie first as they pretty much spoil everything and your enjoyment will be greatly diminshed!!

Movie is very intense on BD in several places!!! not suited to younger viewers at all I would say the UK certificate of 15 is about right.

On further reflection I would say this is still a highly enjoyable but deepy flawed mystery/action/sci-fi movie but at least the BD gives an overall strong presentation which will certainly make new viewers take notice of what is happening on screen!!!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Paul_Warren

Got my UK BD today. PQ is pretty good I would say 8/10. Stunning razor sharp detail & accurate colour rendering. Audio to me is 8/10 as not really much more than a regular std big budget action soundscape. Extras are pretty poor however (1 x EPK style doc, 1 x scientist(s) doc which is all what would/could happen & pretty silly, Director commentary, TV spots & Trailer). No Nic Cage anywhere so he is obviously not supporting this movie for the home market release for some reason!! Please do not look at the extra's or show them to anyone who has not seen the movie first as they pretty much spoil everything and your enjoyment will be greatly diminshed!!

Movie is very intense on BD in several places!!! not suited to younger viewers at all I would say the UK certificate of 15 is about right.

On further reflection I would say this is still a highly enjoyable but deepy flawed mystery/action/sci-fi movie but at least the BD gives an overall strong presentation which will certainly make new viewers take notice of what is happening on screen!!!
Paul, official review threads are for reviews only. Comments such as the above belong in the official discussion thread, which is where I have moved it. (Generally, non-review posts are simply deleted.)

Edited by Michael Reuben - 8/1/2009 at 04:13 am GMT

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"Banal: Lacking freshness or originality." Seen a lot of movies where the protagonist is trying to stop disasters decoded from a set of numbers, have you?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that post is spam check his other 4 posts they have the same web site in them.

Edited by TonyD - 8/9/2009 at 07:51 pm GMT

mrmandingy

Auditioning
Real Name
arnold
are the rabbits pets, a source of protein?? Many spaceships took off simultaneously with our two young heroes and many ships were seen at different spots on the new planet far from the two we saw. Does this mean many pairs were deposited to colonize the new planet?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I think the rabbits were just there for lazy symbolism short-hand -- the two kids are supposed to grow up and boink "like bunnies" to repopulate. The visual short-hand was just as lazy as the Eden shot at the end with the Tree. I was so disappointed with Proyas, that he resorted to other people's symbolism rather than invent his own. Dreadful.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Just watched this. I enjoyed it for what it was. I'm not sure why the warnings were so cryptic other than it created a mystery for Cage's character to solve. I also thought it was stupid that he was living in a falling down house. That seemed hit-me-over-the-head symbolism for the decaying state of his life or some other nonsense. Either explain it or have him live in a normal house.

I'm puzzled that so many seem confused about how many children were taken. Caleb says specifically that only those who hear the call can go. When we see multiple spaceships in the next scene it's pretty obvious that many survivors have been rescued.

That said, I think Greg Bear should sue whoever wrote this. Read The Forge of God to know what I'm talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks