What's new

DVD Review *** Official HTF REVIEW & Discussion Thread: Star Wars Trilogy, pt. 1 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Remember when the double-spacing thing seemed to only affect the Star Wars thread. It must be contagious!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Several members have reported that the English 2.0 track has the missing cue intact. I haven't had a chance to try it myself. :)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Well , the only one i watched entirely from the set so far is empire strikes back.Very impressive restoration.I was most impressed with the hoth battle.Its funny to see how bad hoth used to look in the old trailers and tv spots, on the bonus disc.Ill probably watch empire of dreams next.Great to finally own this !
smile.gif
thumbsup.gif

ShaunG

Stunt Coordinator
Tim Hoover

Middle of Nowhere, KY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local Date and Time:

September 29th, 2004

08:01 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 28th, 2001

I just got off the phone and the replacement was quick and easy. Like others have reported, the lady at Fox said that she was informed that the swapped surround music was intentional.

FYI From the glitch thread, it doesn't look like they're going to back down from their "intentional" story.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
They don't want to get caught in a lie. This is just like having a "wardrobe malfunction". Too bad to, because it would have been a good sign from everyone involved if this error was really acknowledged.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
On the bright side...

We know Ron is talking with THX, and since this is a PQ issue, may have gotten their attention...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
quote:At any rate, I don't think your strategy of shutting up in public and communicating to Fox/Lucas in private is an effective one. Doing both would seem to be the better option. Just my opinion.

I agree with Rich here, at least if it is done with some respect. I don't think Fox or THX or even Lucasfilm really minds being taken to task a bit on issues like this...IF we also give them the appropriate credit for all the things they get right.

I mean the guys at IVC said directly to us that they get frustrated when they do all this work, taking care of 99% of the problems, and then only hear about that 1% that got through or they didn't have time for. Of course they also admitted that this is the nature of the work since people aren't supposed to obviously recognize all the things that have been fixed or presented correctly.

If hearing about their mistakes in public means also hearing about their successes then I think they would gladly take the positive word of mouth that they would/should be getting most of the time.

I do think that HTF does have influence on the industry, a lot more than it does on the general public. Just like the trade magazines have a greater influence on the industry than they do on the general public. Just because your mom has never read Video Store magazine doesn't mean what gets said there has no influence on the biz.

We know that at least some people in the DVD software and HT hardware industries read (even post) at HTF.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I tossed my store paper liner without a thought. Keep in mind that I also didn't worry too much about saving my LOTR EE boxes either. At first it seems like something to keep and collect, then I realize that the DVD package itself is good enough for me since I'm not going for that "still in the wrapper" resale value. I just want to put the DVD box on my shelves and watch the films/extras.

It's funny that we probably all debate this issue even though it seems rather silly.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have OCD and am a perfectionist so I never know what to throw out.....my LOTR Two Towers Gift Box was nicked and I freaked out....until I came to the conclusion that the box has nothing to do with the film....so, I don't care as much anymore. I don't think Peter Jackson would either.
biggrin.gif

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
quote:So, did you guys throw away the piece of paper on the box? I'm debating on what to do with it.

I kept mine. Since I took the 4 Keepcases out and used my Silver VHS Star Wars Special Edition VHS "Faces" box half to hold the 6 DVDs (4 OT 2 PT) on my display case I have the DVD box halves sitting elsewhere (holding my "other" OT DVDs) I just left that paper sitting on top.

The Darthvader half of the SE VHS set works well, if only it were a little deeper it would be the perfect size to hold all 6 DVDs (OT 4th disc will be left out once Episode III DVD comes out)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
quote:So, did you guys throw away the piece of paper on the box? I'm debating on what to do with it.

For me, the silver cover gave it's life (crumpled on one corner) to save the box. I recycled it.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
OMG, we're discussing a piece of paper.

Has anyone read the Star Wars Official Site Message Boards? They're complaining about whether or not it is Jar Jar's voice heard in Return of the Jedi.

People will complain about the smallest things.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Well, I finally watched all of Empire of Dreams. A very well-produced and nice documentary. It does chronicle George's empire quite nicely, but I can see where it's going to disappoint those expecting truly in-depth documentaries on the making of the films. I think it mostly serves to whet our appetites for what's to come. There are some great behind-the-scenes highlights, but the old making-of docs went into much greater detail. Also, many of the characters of Star Wars were glossed over. Not much said about Vader. Nothing about the Emperor. But, that's not the focus of this documentary. Considering there's not much more in the Characters featurette though, there's definitely going to be a lot more coming in a few years. I hope so anyway. The old docs have some great material, and I have most of them in one form or another, but they look pretty shoddy and are kind of cheesy compared to those made today.

Watching the clips of the movies contained in the documentaries was interesting. Some were from the OOT, some the SE. Obviously from some old (but nice) digital transfers, ANH and ROTJ were significantly brighter, though I do believe incorrectly, for the most part. However, it DID seem like ESB was actually darker before. Somebody mentioned before Dagobah seemed a little bright, and it does seem strange that a dark, swampy planet appears brighter on the DVD than some hot desert locations in ANH or Jedi. It would not surprise me in the least if the next time we see these movies released, they look a bit different, once Lucas has had a chance to really go over them. I think the major changes are probably accomplished, but he may make some adjustments: brighten ANH in a few spots, darken ESB (at least parts), and fix effects in ROTJ and all the films. Hopefully, we'll get better balanced soundtracks in all three films too, with care to keep the music more prevalent.

It was upsetting to hear it at full volume the many times the opening of ANH was shown in the documentaries and to see the London Sympony Orchestra scoring the Battle of Yavin, blaring the now nearly-missing Force Theme and subsequent music that is so low in the mix now. The documentaries themselves use music quite effectively to convey their themes with music sometimes much louder than what's heard in the mixes. The music used to consistently punctuate moments of the films, and now it just barely underscores it at times. It's great to have the films on DVD, but I think the music problems hurt the films more than anything else, even more than the SE changes folks are still griping about today. There are a lot more precious moments marred by the music issues than some of this release's visual effects issues too I'm afraid. With Lucas tied up with Ep. III, I certainly hope he wasn't the one to say "let's lower the wonderful music that used to accentuate the moment here and drown it out with new booming bass effects or ship engine sounds." I doubt he was. I just hope these issues aren't overlooked next time around. If it turns out Lucas really wanted it that way, I too have will have lost a lot of faith in him. While it's exciting to watch these films nice and clear on DVD for the first time at long last, repeat viewings are hurt by the at-times dialed-back music that used to add a lot of excitement. The Star Wars films are supposed to be big, BIG movies, and the big, BIG score is a big part of that. I miss being almost overwhelmed by everything put together in those moments where it no longer is as it was. Maybe the casual viewer or first timer wouldn't notice, but then again a few may wonder what all the fuss is about when they watch it the first time and it's not quite the epic specatacle it was years ago without the score in full force. All those subtle components add up in the end. Longtime fans at least have the lasting impression of the original mixes. It will take some time to erase that. Here's hoping the mix we get some day on HD blows us away and refreshes our memories!

David James

Stunt Coordinator
I'm 51 now and I suspect I have more past behind me then future in front of me. The movies I've seen in the past are gone, the memories may linger but it's not the memories that keep me going, it's what I am experiencing today and it's what the future may bring. I would love to recapture my youth or experience some of the many joys I've experienced during my life again, but the fact is, for the most part I can't. What I've learned is to accept it, let it go, and do the best I can to enjoy what is happening now and anticipate what is in store for me in the future. It's not in me to dwell on what I can't have when there is so much more which I can have.

I will never see the Star Wars movies the way I first saw them many years ago. I'm fine with that, in fact, I view it this way. I already have those memories, what I have now is the opportunity to create more memories. Are the movies better? I don't look at it that way. I view these movies, not through the eyes of a man 25 years younger, trying to recreate an experience of years past, but through a fresh set of the eyes, enjoying the experience of today and creating new memories and you know what, I'll take twice the memories thank you.

None of this is to suggest that anyone with differing views is wrong and my views are right. It's simply my perspective.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
anyone else getting the feeling that if the above post had been posted about 60 pages earlier--the pages following that post would have been a LOT more even tempered and cool?
wink.gif

Thanks for that post, man.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well said David. Bravo!

quote:None of this is to suggest that anyone with differing views is wrong and my views are right. It's simply my perspective.

...and a great perspective it is...
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks