1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Review *** Official HTF REVIEW & Discussion Thread: Star Wars Trilogy, pt. 1

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Osadciw, Sep 11, 2004.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Ricardo, yes I'm still reading.... [​IMG]

....but I'll try to stop for real now. I've felt a great disturbance from the fans who actually want to discuss the dvd's, and honestly, Rob Gardener has perfectly argued my stance on the issue in a way much beyond my (English) abilities.

"Oh how sweet it is to hear one's own convictions from another's lips".

2. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

What is there to be concerned about?

Naturally, anyone has the right to express their opinion within a well behaved manner in hope that LucasFilm are listening/reading these threads, and will consider a re-issue of A NEW HOPE.

Yes, I know that some die-hard fans are really, really angry with a lot of things of the DVD release, but we should respect that George Lucas has the right to do whatever he wants with his movies. That´s just the way the world works.

Personally, I can live with the SW Trilogy with its flaws as it is now. However, I sincerely hope a HD-DVD 6-Disc release, rumored to be released in 2007, are going to be the Ultimate version, and hopefully will include the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL release. Not that I think it will ever happen, though.

I cannot see a point why a talk with a LucasFilm representative should do any good on this board. So what if the statement issued by LucasFilm about the sound changes were creatively intended might not be the REAL truth. Either LucasFilm are going to make a recall Ep. IV ANH or they are not.

3. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

I was wondering if Hayden Christensen's ghost performance was done specifically for insertion into Return of the Jedi. George may have just grabbed some footage of Hayden portraying Anakin from Episode III (or even something from when the camera was "rolling" while not doing a scene and Hayden just happened to be standing long enough facing the right way) and Hayden never got the chance to actually try and act the part of Anakin being proud of what Luke has done to save him. Sebastian Shaw was filmed with that in mind.

4. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Sten,

Think about it - if the French track is RIGHT and the English track is WRONG, then how can ANYONE say it was a "creative decision"?

Mike

5. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

Personally, I don´t believe in the "creative decision" statement, either. LucasFilm just made it worse by saying that.

BTW, who or where does it say the FRENCH track is right? Is this a fact? And which region release are you refering to?

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Sten, he's saying the French track basically reproduces the soundtrack as we've always heard it on previous releases - at least with regard to the prominence of certain crucial music cues - whereas the English soundtrack buries those cues in the mix. Folks here are saying that not only is the English soundtrack different, but it's much less effective. A creative decision? Well, I suppose it could be. But certainly not a very good one.

7. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Wow, I thought about reading this entire thread, but then I realized it is a Star Wars thread at HTF....That means a bunch of psychotic fanboys are probably bitching about Audio problems that don't exist, shitty packaging, lack of DTS, how Lucas has screwed the fans again, and lack of Original films.

I think I will go watch the DVDs instead and enjoy them. Because that would be the opposite of what people do here.

-Dean-

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Dean,

That's a bit overboard and insulting to the fans that
    have a legitimate gripe about the errors on these discs.

Please refrain from making such comments in the future.

9. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

(see above)
    The French track has other problems. The music is heard at the Death Star dive, but listen when Luke and Ben walk into docking bay 94. There's a crossfade in the music there that isn't on any of the other audio tracks.

10. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Just to throw in my $0.02...

I watched the entire trilogy through, and "Empire of Dreams", with no problems whatsoever (stuttering, skipping, freezing). I went back and checked for stuttering at the beginning of ESB after the crawl (I understand it may be a problem some players have with seamless branching...?), and picture distortion during the scene between Han and Leia on the Falcon in the Asteroid (worm?). No problems, as before. My player is a Denon DVD-1600P (I'm gonna try on my wife's Pioneer as soon as I get the chance). Now, if THX/Lucasfilm would just reissue ANH with a fixed surround channel (please, please....?) and a re-dialled up "Force" que during the initial Death Star dive (major fanboy dream), I will be in Star Wars Nirvanna...

11. Mike_Heggemann

In answer to the question whether WB infringed on Charlie Chaplin's rights when they released the original silent version of "The Gold Rush", the answer is "NO"!

The silent version of "The Gold Rush" went into the public domain a while ago and Chaplin only kept the rights to his recut, later version.

As an aside, if you own the WB DVD of "The Gold Rush", you will notice that the silent version was released as an EXTRA, with the recut version being given as the definitive version on the DVD.

Cite:

filmmonthly.com/Silents/Articles/GoldRush/GoldRush.html

The difference here is that George Lucas still holds the rights to ALL versions of Star Wars, and as such (no matter how many people love/hate his decisions), he has the RIGHT to do ANYTHING he wants to them. They are his totally and legally.

Not that this fact will stop all the petty bickering going on... [​IMG]

12. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Well ... I've viewed all three movies plus the bonus disc at this point; and I would have to say that this release borders on the "DVD Release of the Year". I would actually come close to awarding it the "DVD Release of the format"

The release just needed one more disc in my mind to achieve that status: All three "Original" original movies, mastered from the '95 laserdisc D2s', on one DVD-18. (I wonder if that was ever considered? Hmmm?)

We may have to wait until 2007 for that ... In the meantime, I'm pretty happy. This morning I viewed the first 45 minutes of ANH with the commentary track on and felt as though I was viewing the movie with George Lucas and friends in my den!

I didn't think I would be, but I, personally, am pretty darn satisfied with this release!

13. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Matt Czyz
    Random thoughts on "Empire of Dreams" which I just finished last night.

1. Irvin Kershner's speech inflection made me smile every time he started talking. Just great. He seems like a real fun guy, too. I wish he had directed Jedi. (and episodes 1 and 2....the Anakin/Padme stuff would have benefited *tremendously* from his direction--he understood the use of subtlety)

2. The creator of the Yoda puppet really does look exactly like Yoda himself. That was hilarious.

3. Mark Hamill really does get knocked too often for his performance in the OT. I always thought he did a great job (well, maybe with the exception of some of the whinier lines in ANH) and by the end of the trilogy, I'm totally convined about and emotionally involved with his story arc.

4. Where has this excitable and fun-to-interview Harrison Ford been hiding? I haven't seen him that emotive in years!

5. "May the Force go with you"-tee hee.

6. Carrie Fisher is still hot and a lot funnier than I thought she was.

14. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Second Unit

Jonathan Kaye

Who's to say that the same person/people had the time to do all the language mixes? Perhaps Burtt & co mixed the English 5.1 track, making the decisions/mistakes (depending on your point of view [​IMG]) we're all now familiar with, and left it to other people to do the language mixes, who then either followed the settings on what they were given (Spanish track) or adjusted them as they saw fit (French track).

Anyway, we're all just speculating until someone can get definitive answers to the specific points.

15. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

Audio problems, Check

Lucas has screwed the fans again, Check

Lack of Original films, of course

But I don't see much about "shitty packaging" or lack of DTS.

I have read a lot of praise about the packaging.

The Audio problems invloved the mix, but doing it with DTS compression wouldn't fix that, plus the Audio on Episode I and II were praised as well, not many complained about lack of DTS.

16. Kevin_H

Kevin_H Stunt Coordinator

That's something that confuses me, wouldn't Fox own STAR WARS, I mean, they did pay for it after all. If they wanted too couldn't they release the original version of STAR WARS.

17. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    After reading the above statement for the umpteenth time, it just dawned on me. Only the English track on ANH is in DD 5.1 Surround EX. The French and Spanish tracks are both in Dolby 2.0 surround and some people have been saying since this was all brought up, that if your unhappy with the English 5.1 Surround EX tracts, then listen to the English Dolby 2.0 Surround tracks on the disc, because that's also the way the movie was originally made. So what's the big difference between the French 2.0 Surround and the English 2.0 Surround?

Paul

18. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Kevin, I don't remember the specifics, but I thought Lucas worked out a deal when making the PT w/ Fox to have complete ownership of Star Wars (the first movie). That was part of the deal when Lucas was shopping around the PT. Could you imagine another studio's logo in front of the "A long time ago..."? Would be kind of weird. And of course there wouldn't be the Fox fanfare.

19. Mike_Heggemann

Apparently, the way George Lucas negotiated the deal is the reason why a lot more studio rights are spelled out in much more detail in contracts nowadays.

It seems Fox didn't expect to make much money off this movie, so they gave him what he wanted (rights to the final cut, merchandising rights, etc.) and thought they would make out like bandits when the movie tanked.

Cite:

supershadow.com/starwars/history.html

20. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

The glorious John Williams cue at the beginning of the attack on the Death Star.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.