Official HTF HD Review: Animal House - Double Secret Probation Ed. (Combo HDDVD/DVD)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Sam Posten, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    [​IMG]

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I picked this one up today, great picture quality or not. This is one of the seminal films from my adolescence, and I have to have it!

"Wait until Otis sees us...HE LOVES US!" [​IMG]

3. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Audio is a good enough reason for me to upgrade this title.
    Thanks for the review!

4. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

I watched my copy last night. For a 28-year old comedy, I thought it looked and sounded just fine. Would have prefered just a straight up HD release with the extras on the same side of the film, but that is minor complaining. Just glad to have it in the library.

Now...let's get rolling on "The Blues Brothers"!

5. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

ANOTHER movie i can't buy becuase of doublesided disc, damn

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Because of cost or a defect on your player?

7. I was under the impression that the 'combo' format was only for new releases...why backtrack to old DVDs?

I'm planning on getting a HD-DVD player for upconversion later and eventually for HD playback, but not till this kooky transitional combo format is long gone.

8. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I have no complaints about the picture quality on this disc, I've never seen ANIMAL HOUSE look this good.

9. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I'm with Daniel-M and [email protected]: If this had been a straight HD-DVD disk, I would purchase it. I just don't see the point in these combo disks - especially for catalog titles like this. With this format war, HD-DVD doesn't need this silly marketing which only serves to increase the price and (potentially) reduce the video quality (15GB versions). It's totally irrational to me. I realize some folks seem to accept it, but I think the critics are much more numerous. Certainly, I think the general consumer is going to find the extra cost more of a factor than getting an additional lower-quality SD version for $5-$10 extra (I do). I say either drop the price differential or drop the forced inclusion of the SD version on the otherwise desirable HD version.

10. Brian D H

Brian D H Second Unit

If the price point was a little more reasonable I'd understand it. I don't have a HD player, and I probably won't get one for a while. I also don't own this movie yet, but I'd be reluctant to get anything in SD when HD is already available. This would seem to be marketed right at me.

It's a movie I want, that I can play on my current SD system, but that will also be playable in HD when I eventually buy the player. If I was going to buy Animal House right now, without yet owning a HD player, this is the one I'd get. Frankly the only thing holding me back would be the format war. I don't want to spend this kind of money on a disc when the eventual HD player I DO get might be have to be Blu-Ray. So, I'm left on the side-lines. Still, a nice try at marketing to those who AREN'T early adopters. If they could agree on a format it might actually be a sale.