What's new

Official HTF HD Review: Animal House - Double Secret Probation Ed. (Combo HDDVD/DVD) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
75368.jpg">

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I picked this one up today, great picture quality or not. This is one of the seminal films from my adolescence, and I have to have it!

"Wait until Otis sees us...HE LOVES US!" ;)

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
I watched my copy last night. For a 28-year old comedy, I thought it looked and sounded just fine. Would have prefered just a straight up HD release with the extras on the same side of the film, but that is minor complaining. Just glad to have it in the library.

Now...let's get rolling on "The Blues Brothers"!

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I was under the impression that the 'combo' format was only for new releases...why backtrack to old DVDs?

I'm planning on getting a HD-DVD player for upconversion later and eventually for HD playback, but not till this kooky transitional combo format is long gone.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I have no complaints about the picture quality on this disc, I've never seen ANIMAL HOUSE look this good.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I'm with Daniel-M and Frank@N: If this had been a straight HD-DVD disk, I would purchase it. I just don't see the point in these combo disks - especially for catalog titles like this. With this format war, HD-DVD doesn't need this silly marketing which only serves to increase the price and (potentially) reduce the video quality (15GB versions). It's totally irrational to me. I realize some folks seem to accept it, but I think the critics are much more numerous. Certainly, I think the general consumer is going to find the extra cost more of a factor than getting an additional lower-quality SD version for $5-$10 extra (I do). I say either drop the price differential or drop the forced inclusion of the SD version on the otherwise desirable HD version.

Brian D H

Second Unit
If the price point was a little more reasonable I'd understand it. I don't have a HD player, and I probably won't get one for a while. I also don't own this movie yet, but I'd be reluctant to get anything in SD when HD is already available. This would seem to be marketed right at me.

It's a movie I want, that I can play on my current SD system, but that will also be playable in HD when I eventually buy the player. If I was going to buy Animal House right now, without yet owning a HD player, this is the one I'd get. Frankly the only thing holding me back would be the format war. I don't want to spend this kind of money on a disc when the eventual HD player I DO get might be have to be Blu-Ray. So, I'm left on the side-lines. Still, a nice try at marketing to those who AREN'T early adopters. If they could agree on a format it might actually be a sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks