What's new

*** Official HTF HD Formats Comparison Thread *See Post 957, p. 32* (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Never viewed the Slashdot site before and I got the same impression.:rolleyes:
The Poll has an "I want my HD DVD" selection, but no "I have Blu-ray", just an "I'll get a player by summer" question and 21% that are "Holding Out For Downloads"?:eek: That wiill be some wait!

Paul

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Pre-recorded anything on flash-memory will be pretty much a non-starter for a long time to come. The only thing even remotely like that which has come to market was the old video-game cartridges. The problem is that HD optical discs cost considerably less than $1 each to press. Essentially, if HD on a disc costs you $30, at a minimum HD on a card is going to cost you the exact same amount for promotion, marketing, copyright &c. — say $29 — plus the price of media. If a 30 GB flash card with sustained 30 Mbps transfer costs $10, then your HD flash movie will cost $39. Manufacturing costs, except in rare instances (early DiscoVision with its 80% & higher reject rates, or real-time duplicated VHS), are a very small fraction of the cost of the finished video product. Nobody likes to add another "rare instance".

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

2600+ people have voted for that last option and I don't even know what that means?!? :laugh:

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I agree. Of course this assumes that Toshiba hasn't developed some new faster/cheaper flash memory.

Doug

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
There's almost always a CowboyNeal option in the polls. As long as I can remember.

Anyway, you read through the slashdot threads enough, and you realize that most users on that site are a) not home theater enthusiasts, and b) aren't J6Ps either. Meaning I wouldn't consider the poll results necessarily indicative of the average consumer.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I think we were talking about when it would *start* to make sense, not when it would reach full manufacturing efficiency. :D

I don't remember where I read it now, but I thought BDs were costing ~$5 each to press though I'm sure that price will eventually drop towards ~$1 each. That's why I (and I had assumed others) was working around the parameter of $5-10 for when HDM on flash might start to appear, if at all.

But yeah, like you, I seriously doubt HDM on flash will happen anytime soon, if ever.

Actually, what might be more likely is that flash memory might eventually become a top choice for removable HD video recording in general (not just for HD videocams) and might end up tying in w/ HD downloads, if/when that takes off. That would probably make more sense than prerecorded HDM on flash. Right now, there's no clear choice for a HDM recording format even though recordable BD is already available. And considering how little recordable DVD actually did for that market, I'm not sure recordable BD will do much better.

_Man_

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
RE Amazon: here's hoping they don't remove HD DVD SKUs from their database thereby making it more difficult to buy and (if you're an Amazon Seller) sell used HD DVDs via Amazon Marketplace. You can only sell LDs now if you're "Pro." :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks