What's new

*** Official HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

JonathanG

Stunt Coordinator
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.TERRIBLE closing freezframe of Hary on his broom. YUCK!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

I agree. It should have ended with Harry flying off screen, with nothing but smoke from the broom.

-------------------------

It looked like something a film technique the Disney Channel or Nickelodeon would do for one of their made for cable movies.

for once I thought Williams score was great and was less bombastic than the first two films and better impelemented in the final film.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Given Harry's exploits of late, his final shot of pure joy on his face (in the final freeze-framed shot) was okay with me.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure I was clear in my post- to my knowledge William Ross had nothing to do with PoA. I was referring to CoS.

As to William Ross's involvement with CoS- its my understanding that John Williams was too busy that year (two Spielbergs and a Lucas) to fully score CoS. He did write a few new bits (the Fawkes the Phoenix theme being the primary bit) and William Ross scored the movie using Williams' work from SS as well as the new music that he wrote for CoS.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
John Williams got a hundred minutes in and had to jump ship for "Catch Me If You Can." William Ross orchestrated those 100 minutes and fleshed them out to a full score.

John Williams did the full score for Prisoner of Azkaban.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I'm torn on this as well. Both interpretations have their merit. The grounds in the first two films seemed like they were upkept, well groomed grounds, much like you would find in an elite college or boarding school.

However, the grounds in PoA were much more visually interesting, looked more like Scotland, and made Hogwarts feel as old as it is supposed to be.

Then, if it's set up one way in the first two films, changing it ruins continutiy between films.

But, the new grounds are so visually interesting (angles are always better).

You see, I'm torn.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
And irony strikes back! The premiere of Spielberg's Terminal had to be delayed to allow John Williams time to score Spielberg's latst character piece.

By the way, I get this feeling of exuberant joy over the fact that Spielberg has the freedom to just go out and make eccentric character pieces like Catch Me If You Can and Terminal -- this is the time he was born for, these are the moments he was born to shape, all that has come before is prologue, the days of tomorrow await.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Chad,

After reading your comments I realized I feel the same way. I foudn the locations in PoA very interesting, almost to the point that I wish I could have the first two films the same way. I guess we all knew this series would have a hard time with continuity given the different directors, length of time between films, etc.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Ernest Rister:

You have some understandable gripes about the plotting of the books, however, I would submit to you that the plotting is multi-layered, the plot devices highly creative, and the world very cohesive.

Second, it is important to remember that Potter is a mystery story told in a mythological world. The journey has to represent the hero's journey of self-doubt and self-revelation, and the plot exposition has to come in the last part of the story.

Finally, I think you are losing sight of the intricate, well-developed, and worthwhile themes in the story.'

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
As for the film, I think PoA will reach esoteric acclaim among film lovers but also leave those who haven't read the books out in the cold. The pacing also took away some of the epic sweep of the Potter stories, especially in the last half.

In defense of Cuaron, I felt that his directing used angles, lighting, and editing devices that really give you entree into the character's psyches. The askew camera angles and close-ups create a sense of claustrophobia and omen, even in wide shots!

He uses psychedelicism and surrealism, as well as in your face camera angles, to really confront you with the psychological discomfort of the scenes. He also uses motifs such as the mirror, the irises, the candle, and the light and dark contrast to develop the themes within the story.

Finally, the changes to Hogwart's and the special effects were one of the greatest joys of this film. The Hogwart's grounds possess a dry, desaturated Wordsworthian beauty, with Yeatsian sensuality just beneath the surface. This is much the same as the way the grim situations overlay a wonderful, warm coming of age story.

I think Cuaron is a wonderful director who has fantastic potential, but he really needs to respect the narrative a little more.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Ernest, just so you know, I haven't dissed Columbus, but I guess you were speaking to the others :)

I personally don't mind Columbus' more natural, Howard Hawks-like style. sometimes an invisible style breaks down the fourth wall better.

Galen_V

Second Unit

Well after seeing the movie again, and remembering the first scene, it could be another sort of sexual reference. This may seem a little perverted, but you have Harry "riding" on a broom going "up" in the air and then the camera freezes right when he is "climaxing" with ecstasy. Again, this could be a bit of a stretch, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I'm afraid I must agree with the post that PoA while my favorite of the three films is more suited for readers of the books. I attended the film with a friend who has only seen the films. She easily followed the stories of the first two films but I had to provide a lot of explanation for this film for her. (And she is not a child) I was a little surprised that such a long book produced the shortest film. It left a lot of important backstory untold. When I explained the Marauders map, the identities of Mooney, Prongs, Wormtail, and Padfoot she really understood the film better. Personally I wouldn't have minded another half hour to explain the backstory: for example, Black knew Pettigrew was alive, but never explained how; Lupin knew how to use the Marauders map but we never found out why, Harry's Patronus charm took the form of a stag, again never explained. As a fan of the book I enjoyed it, but without knowing the story its confusing.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

At least until they can go back and do Special Editions where they can 'fix' all of these little inconsistencies.

And then there'll be a whole new generation of kids here complaining that columbus raped their childhood.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

I thought the Weasley twins said they'd stolen it from Lupin when they gave it to Harry, and hence how Lupin knows how to use it. Maybe they actually said another professor and I'm remembering it wrong though.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

Careful, you're both starting to sound like Lord of the Rings purists, who assumed that anyone who hadn't read the books would be completely lost.

I disagree that only book readers will get something out of PoA.

I hadn't read the book, and I wasn't completely lost. I knew there was a lot missing, just as I knew there was a lot missing when I saw Fellowship, but at the time of watching both movies, I was busier thoroughly enjoying myself than I was worrying about what I *might* be missing. There were a couple of parts where I thought "that's probably explained more in the book" but for the most part I never thought about the book. I just watched the movie, and I liked it, a LOT. Much much more than the first two.

Or rather, the first one. I paid to see the second one twice, and fell asleep both times. That's not a reflection on the movie's quality or my opinion of it. I had just started some medication that made me drowsy, and was tired anyway. When I fell asleep the first time at CoS, I kicked myself and went back the next night, but it happened again. I did mean to go back a 3rd time, but I never got around to it.

I thought about not going to PoA because I hadn't seen the 2nd, but I couldn't keep away. I like Cuaron so much, and good reviews were all over the place. I loved it! I'm itching to see it again.

After the first movie, I read the first HP book. I wasn't interested enough to read the 2nd before seeing the movie, and I assumed I'd read it after seeing it. Since I didn't really see it, I never thought much about reading the book.

Now, I'm all fired up to read the book(s), at least the first 3. I've got a backlog of reading material so I can't start on it right away, but I'm very interested.

While watching this movie, I felt the MAGIC of Harry Potter for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks