*** Official HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN Discussion Thread

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Cameron Yee

To my recollection the last we hear about the Buckbeak incident before we have Hagrid pitching stones in the lake is Hermione saying "I heard Draco's father was furious. This isn't the end of it." It seemed like quite a bit happened between those two scenes. It's not a big deal, but to me it felt like there could have been some mention of a hearing before we get to the result of it.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Depends who you ask. I consider PoA to be vastly superior to GoF ('cept the ending and beginning), and I know plenty of others that do too.

In other news, PoA beat studio expectations to bring in $93.7 million in its opening weekend - propelling it to the third best opening weekend ever, behind Spider-Man and Shrek 2.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite book in the series. I was totally worried about the film being horrible based on my experiences with the first two films (hated them). I had no intention of seeing the third film until I discovered that Gary Oldman was playing Sirius Black.

I really enjoyed this film for what it was.

I admit I was quite irritated that so much was left out from the books (I understand due to time constraints this must happen). For those who have never read the books, I felt they really missed out on some pretty important things. I also hated how they changed how certain events happened or added things in that never happened.

1.) The back story of Sirius, Lupin, James Potter and Snape. I felt this was pretty important character development.

2.) They left out the pocket sneakascope, which made noise if someone untrustworthy was around. That would have been great in the movie.

3.) They changed the scene where Ron, Hermione and Harry ( with his invisibility cloak) were up on the hill in Hogsmeade looking at the Shreiking Shack and Malfoy and his gang come upon them. Harry's head was exposed to Malfoy and he tells Snape Harry was in Hogsmeade. That's how the Marauders map gets taken.

4.) The firebolt was given to Harry early on in the book and taken away from him to be checked for curses. Still can't figure out why they put that at the end of the movie.

5.) Most irritating of all was the suttle hint of a romance brewing between Ron and Hermione in the movie and that never takes place in the book.

Yes, I really did enjoy the movie despite those things. I enjoyed the visuals and the special effects. I absolutely love the guy that plays Hagrid. I also enjoyed seeing the characters growing up. It was dark, funny, magical and was all in all a good film.

I think it just gets harder to really stay true to the books in films... they have to hollywoodize it I guess. There were things I definitely would have changed in this movie.

Kevin Grey

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member

John, as someone else has noted there is hardly a clear consensus on this. I will say that I've personally seen PoA cited by most as their favorite with GoF a close second. My personal ranking has OotP on top. To try and attempt to cite any one of the books as somehow factually being the best would be incorrect.

Kevin Grey

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Lanie your post was very interesting. Why would you find any of the changes you listed as being so irritating? With the exception of the connection between the four friends and the Marauders Map the rest seemed to be fairly minor and worked in the film's favor. It seems like you find *any* changes from the book to be unacceptable.

Rowling herself approves the scripts and seems to be satisfied with many of the changes made. The Ron-Hermione thing comes to the forefront in Book 4 so I don't see anything wrong with a bit of foreshadowing. It was certainly handled in a more subtle manner than the awkward non-hug between the two of them in Chamber of Secrets.

The firebolt change was inspired I thought. Placing it in the middle would have added another subplot in the middle of the film that it didn't need. Introducing the fact that it was quarantined to inspect it for curses would have led to more Quidditch discussion (ie Harry needs it for the big game, etc) that the movie frankly didn't need. Moving it to the end is a great way to let Harry (and the audience) know that he has someone watching out for him (I think the permission slip should have been included though).

The sneakascope? Yeah its neat but it really didn't have a role to play within the rest of the film. I also don't mind that they changed how the Marauder's Map got taken. The Snape-Harry scene in almost complete darkness in the hallway was among the best in the film.

I miss most of these changes as much as anyone but I think they are perfectly indicative of the challenge of adapting Rowling's work. Rowling's strength as a writer is in the details- hardly a page goes by where there isn't some fascinating detail about the world of magic and Hogwarts that has nothing to do with the plot at hand. These details are incredibly hard to adapt into a film. Each filmmaker faces a very difficult challenge because they lose most of the fine detail but have the challenge of somehow trying to drive a compelling narrative through this rigid architecture that makes so many demands that can compromise pacing and character at every turn (ie the film *must* start before Harry arrives at Hogwarts, *must* introduce a new Dark Arts teacher and dispatch him/her, *must* wrap up in no less than one year's time, etc). That Cuaron could work in the same basic framework as Columbus and yet turn out such a different style of film is quite an accomplishment.

TheLongshot

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Perhaps because the firebolt's signifigance is reduced by the removal of Wood and the quest for the house championship. I don't have that much of a problem with it, but I am kinda baffled that they didn't include the Hogwarts slip. To me, that was more meaningful in the book than the firebolt.

It makes me wonder if they cut this film a little too tight...

Jason

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I think the sneakascope had alot ot do with the rest of the plot. It was obviously going off whenever Scabbers was around. I think it was just a hint of the trouble with Peter Pettigrew and it was interesting in my opinion.

Galen_V

Second Unit

I mentioned this in my original post in this thread (which got spun off to start the review thread), and would also be interested to see if other people thought the same thing.

Also, Sirius was indeed the one who slashed the painting.

Ernest Rister

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
"Most irritating of all was the suttle hint of a romance brewing between Ron and Hermione in the movie and that never takes place in the book."

Well, that's the worst-kept secret in all of modern literature. In Order of the Phoenix, Ron cannot stand any of the boys who try to date Hermione, and it's fairly obvious by that point that Ron and Herminoe are a destined couple.

See the end of Chamber of Secrets, too, where Ron and Hermione move to hug each other, then stop, awkwardly, and shake hands. There's gonna be some book-smart red-heads in the Weasley family in a few more years...

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm hoping it's more like a decade if they are 13
I wonder how the wizarding community deals with unplanned pregnancies?

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The pairing of Ron and Hermione is the classic opposites attract situation. Though I don't recall any allusions to their attraction in the Azkaban book, it was certainly obvious in Goblet with Ron's jealousy. If it wasn't done in the third movie it would certainly be in the fourth and Kloves and Cuaron probably thought it appropriate to provide a bit of set up. Otherwise I imagine Ron's jealousy would be more of a "surprise."

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'm also a huge HP fan, and I would rank this movie as the best one so far. Sure I was little put off by them leaving out who the Marauders were, but the previous films have also left out tons of stuff as well:

Film one left out an important line at the end of the book where Harry asks Dumbledore why Voldemort went to kill him when he was a baby. To which Dumbledore replies he cannot answer that question because Harry is not old enough to know yet... Very important scene not shown in the first movie.

Film two left out my favorite scene from book two. The scene where Arthur Weasley and Lucius Malfoy fight in the book store. Not really too important, but I think this scene is setting up an upcoming battle between these two in one of the future books. It would have been nice to see this scene in the second film.

Ernest Rister wrote:

Ricardo C

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
From GoF:

In some trepidation, Harry opened the last parcel on his camp bed. It wasn't as bad as he had expected, however; his dress robes didn't have any lace on them at all - in fact, they were more or less the same as his school ones, except that they were bottle green instead of black.

"I thought they'd bring out the color of your eyes, dear" said Mrs. Weasley fondly.

"Well, they're okay!" said Ron angrily, looking at Harry's robes. "Why couldn't I have some like that?"

"Because... Well, I had to get yours second hand, and there wasn't a lot of choice!" said Mrs. Weasley, flushing.

Harry looked away. He would willingly have split all the money in his Gringotts vault with the Weasleys, but he knew they would never take it.

Although I did share Ernest's view until I read that passage. And I doubt Ron would have objected if Harry had bought him a new wand for Christmas or something.

Ernest Rister

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
"Harry knows that the Weasley family is much to proud to take any money from him...especially Ron. However Harry has shown he is very generous with his money. In fact in GOF, he gives a bunch of money to the Weasley twins."

[voice_Scooby_Doo] HUH? [/voice]

"Harry looked away. He would willingly have split all the money in his Gringotts vault with the Weasleys, but he knew they would never take it."

Harry has all sorts of opinions based on presumptions. I bet if he had asked Ron, "Hey, Ron - for some strange unexplained reason, I've got a vault full of loot. Don't ask me where it came from. Something having to do with my dead mum and dad. What say we pop over to Diagon Alley and buy you a new wand?" -- does anyone think Ron would have said, "Oh, dear me, no. I am too proud to accept a gift from my best friend."

Harry buys Ron candy on the Hogwarts train and Ron never acts like he's being insulted. There are other instances in the books where Harry buys drinks at pubs -- Harry never thinks to buy Ron a new wand? Sorry, that bugged me.

Y'know, Harry himself receives a great deal of charity from multiple people. From broomsticks in the owl post, to other gifts (not the least of which, a love charm from a dying parent that wards off Voldemort through many books) -- it just bugged me that Harry would just stand there while Ron had to face an entire school year with a busted wand, or embarrasing clothes. Harry has proven himself to be a damn sneaky chap when he feels the urge...he couldn't figure out a way to buy Ron a new wand or a new shirt without making Ron feel bad cause his family is poor? C'mon, you wascals.

You want to know what I think? I think the Potter fortune is going to be a very important plot point in either Book Six or Seven. Harry never touched it much because Rowling couldn't have Harry touch it. Rowling ex machina...Harry's treasure is going to be used for something else in Book Six or Seven...and that's why Harry never touches it to help out Ron. Rowling can't have Harry touch it, it is going to be a plot point in one of the last books.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator

Then a short time later Ron receives some gold coins and the first thing he does is pay Harry back for the binoculars.

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Old quote, but I agree, Ernest. The ending for Book 4 was devastating, and I really expected Book 5 to address it. And it did, but in roundabout ways. I prefer Book 3, but Book 4 has a very strong ending, and I hope they get the film right.

Back to Azkaban, I prefer it to the previous 2, both of which I enjoyed. I give high marks to Thewlis, who does a great job with Lupin. I also agree with the member who earlier stated they liked Hogwarts more in this edition. I understood the layout better, and it seemed a far more magical place. I did see Cadogen running around in the back. I missed his scenes, along with "Grim" in Harry's room (that was a great scene), and the exposition at the Shrieking Shack.

I thought it was one of Williams' better scores in recent years.

And with all that, I am caught up, I suppose. I';d like to see this again in theaters, but that doesn't seem likely. Shame about deleted scenes. I was hoping for a few.

Take care,
Chuck

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Well, after reading this thread, I guess I won't have to read books 4 or 5. I guess we should have capped the discussion to book 3 or before because I wonder how many people have had the rest of the upcoming films spoiled for them with all the book spoilers. Thanks to those who have used spoilers for books 4 and 5.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
I really like the subtle effect of the wand lights throwing off a halo rather than just glowing like a light bulb. It was a neat little effect.

Kevin Grey

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member

What Book 4 & 5 spoilers have been revealed? All of the major events that happen in those books haven't even been hinted at. Hell, I don't think the plots to the books have even been mentioned. Is it a spoiler to say that an issue or character will be addressed in a forthcoming movie?

Genuinely curious because I myself hate spoilers but I haven't seen anything in this thread that would jump out at me as being major (or even minor).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CalOkie