What's new

***Official Buffy Box Set Season 1 - 7 Discussion Thread (Spoilers ahoy!)*** (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I find it ironic that this thread has turned into a software release date thread. Should I just move it to software since not many really want to discuss the actual episodes within the boxset? Most of this type of discussion should just go in the Buffytastic thread.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I'd vote to leave it open; it'll come back around on-topic.
Having said that, though, it is harder to stay focused, since a lot of people are going to be at a loss for conversation on the continuing-story aspect if all they've seen is up to S2, and those who've seen beyond that can't answer them. About the only thing worth talking about without fear of excursions into post-S2 would be standalone episodes ("Monster of the week" stuff), and they're not nearly as fun to talk about as the story arcs.
Still, S2 had some of the best developments -- Xander-Cordelia, Buffy-Angel, Willow-Oz...
Ok, here's a topic -- what do y'all think of Armin Shimmerman ("Quark") as school prez? First time I saw him I gasped, "Hey...Quark!" :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I will say one thing, for those who can't wait, FX is about a third of the way throught Season 3 now,synopsys can be found on http://www.fxnetworks.com for the eps you missed. Or you can check your local listings for the weekend repeats

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
No Pat, leave it here! We'll talk! We'll talk!

When I saw Armin Shimmerman as the principal I said: "Hey! It's Stan the Caddy!!" Since he mentioned the Hellmouth it looks like he may have an ulterior motive.

I really like the changes made to the series in Season 2. The little kid didn't seem to be doing much so having Spike get rid of him was a welcome change. I'm also glad that Cordy joined the gang. Hope to see more of Oz too.

The series has a lot in common with the X-Files in that it consists of stand-alones as well as an ongoing story-arc. Is it true that the story-arcs are only for each season or is there an ongoing one (ala X-Files mythology storyline)?

I just watched the original Buffy TVS movie over the weekend. It didn't really add much to the series. It did raise a few questions such as:

- What happened to Buffy's 'vampire sense' (i.e. the cramps she got that alerted her to the presense of vampires)?

- In the series, Buffy's mom said that they left LA because she had set fire to a school gymnasium. This wasn't in the movie.

- Was Joss Whedon satisfied with the movie?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
- What happened to Buffy's 'vampire sense' (i.e. the cramps she got that alerted her to the presense of vampires)?
Never touched on in the series, and was most likely dropped.
- In the series, Buffy's mom said that they left LA because she had set fire to a school gymnasium. This wasn't in the movie.
This was in the original script of the movie. Joss stated that the show is more of a spin-off of the original script for the movie, and not the movie itself, not to mention that in the script, and the movie she's a senior, and in the show, a sophomore. I don't even think of the movie when I think of Buffy though. Frankly, I just take what the show gives.
She was called to be the slayer sophomore early on, and was fighting vampires. Her watcher was killed by a big vampire and in february or so, she set fire to the gym killing many vampires, she was expelled, and they moved to Sunnydale, where we get to season 1, episode 1.
- Was Joss Whedon satisfied with the movie?
A lot of it was changed from his original idea, and script. I don't think he was too pleased with the movie. He was even quoted as saying..."A single manly tear fell down my face when I first saw the premiere."
I think we can say that he wasn't too happy with it. The show was his way of taking back the original premise, and going the way he wanted to from the beginning.
It's funny though, I thought many people knew about the show, but the other day, my mom said she was at work, and mentioned that she had to get home to catch some Buffy episodes from season 2, and they were like "There's a show?" she then explained how good it was, and that is was currently in the sixth season... they had no idea... ;)
I am aching for Season 3. My personal favorite. I wonder if there'll be anything extra... Season 1 had a quote from the episode before they started, Season 2 had those annoying menus (cool at first, and then...cool at first, cool at first, cool at first.. you see what I did there... with the repeating... oh never mind.) I wonder what little extra Season 3 will have... I figure they'll just keep up the menus.
Another topic, Season 1 was blue, season 2 was red. What does everyone think season 3 will be? Personally, when thinking of the show, I get a color in my mind...
Season 1 - Yellow
Season 2 - Blue
Season 3 - Red
Season 4 - Purple/Blue
Season 5 - Orange/Red
Season 6 - Green
I think it has to do with the episodes, and how they are shot. Season 3 seemed to favor using Red mostly, season four was more of a bluish tint (the streets in hush, and other episodes) it felt more clean. Season 5 had a lot of red and orangle looking scenes, and season 6 had a lot of greens. Am I crazy? But when thinking of a scene or shot of season 1, I immediately imagine a yellow looking shot, and for season 2, a bluish one. Does anyone else think of this?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I might have been on crack when I wrote that. ;)
The first season DVD set is blue, the second red. I was saying...a) what do you think season 3 will look like, and b) I think each season has a color, or distinct look, in the episodes themselves.
The first season had a yellow tint to the color of the actual episodes, felt like season 2 had a bluish tint. I think it's because the most memorable scenes are the ones you remember, and most of the memorable scenes from those seasons had those colors most.
Also, when I think of season four, hush, restless, and the initiative comes to mind, and I think of most of the scenes from that season, most of them had a lot of blue in them, a sterile, clean feel (like the initiative)
Get what I mean?
I was saying that the season box sets would be cool if they happened to be the same colors I think of when I think of a season.
Here's another example. Season 6 had a lot of green scenes (mostly because most of the seasons memorable scenes were in the graveyard, or many scenes took place there, where there's all the grass)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Season 3 in the UK has a yellowish box, Season 4 a green I believe

Armin Shimmerman really enjoyed being on Buffy, though he was quoted as saying "Every time I was handed a script, I was sure I was going to die"

The movie is the work of the Demon Kazui. It is not to be counted, listened to, or looked at (OK, OK, I own it too, there were no Buffy TV DVDs! I'm not made of stone!)

Gary_E

Second Unit

This actually was one reason I started to get interested in the show. A buddy of mine kept asking me if I had seen Buffy because the school principal looks like the coach of our local University of Miami Hurricanes football team Larry Coker. Sure enough they could pass for brothers.

-Gary

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I found it interesting that they revealed that Principal Snyder knows about the Hellmouth. But yet he always gives Buffy a hard time. You would also think he would know about the slayer.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I'm with Jeff on the best season being S3. Those of you that have only seen S1 and 2 will love S3. The hardest thing will be the wait.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I found it interesting that they revealed that Principal Snyder knows about the Hellmouth. But yet he always gives Buffy a hard time. You would also think he would know about the slayer.
Who says he doesn't? Watch the end of School Hard, and when he expells her in Becoming Part 2 again

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, what Demon Kuzui? The same Kuzui's that are producing the Buffy and Angel shows? Seems a bit contradictory there, why would Joss still be working with them if they were responsible for the crap that is the movie.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, what Demon Kuzui? The same Kuzui's that are producing the Buffy and Angel shows? Seems a bit contradictory there, why would Joss still be working with them if they were responsible for the crap that is the movie.
Ahh my children, let us refer to the Book of Joss, chapter 2, verses 9-21

And so the Demon Kuzui took what was the perfect script, and tore it asunder, remaking what was once a bllinding white light of perfection in her own image, and it was bad. Thus the Lord Whedon descended into his lair to think, and think he did, until many years had passed.

Basically the Kuzuis own a chunk of the property, and that's why their name is on there. Kuzui directed the original movie, and is primarily responsible for the screwup that it is

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Season 3 begins tomorrow night on Space (the canadian version of the Sci-Fi channel)!!

Xander needs a cuff upside the head. He's dating the hottest girl in school and yet he still pines after Buffy and thinks he's in love with Willow?? Willow is a sweet girl but deep down I think Cordy is too.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I am almost through with Season 1 and my Season 2 box set should be here tomorrow. The "Angel" episode was fantastic. When he revealed himself to Buffy after their kiss was a great moment. I also loved the little touch at then end of the episode after their kiss in The Bronze. After they kissed I was like "why didn't Buffy's necklace affect him", and then they showed the cross had burnt his skin. What a brilliant moment. I also really enjoyed "The Pack" episode. You gotta love 4 students eating the Principal. :)
The puppet episode was really well done and I thought the end was hilarious when Willow ran off the stage right before her line in the Talent Show. Giles was also really funny in this episode as was Xander. You have to love the Red Rum bit and everyone jumping on the table after Xander told them Sid the puppet was gone. :laugh:
I have two episodes left in Season 1 and I will watch those tonight. I can't wait to get Season 2.
-Dean-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks