What's new

*** Official "BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Note: I'm hoping we'd have 2 threads for "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (a review and a discussion thread), so if someone objects, I'm sure Robert will merge this into the other current BOTW thread.
I guess I've seen way too many kick-ass action sequences to get really revved up by such fight sequences. While well-staged, curiously enough, the fighting action sequences just didn't do much for me. Maybe because they seem to be there just to show off what the actor (mainly Mark Dacascos) can do, and then when Samuel Le Bihan starts kicking butt, I was wondering, "where he get those moves?" since for most of the film he was more of a "shoot the bastard" type of character.
This film can't really decide what it wants to be, or perhaps it wants to be too much, either way, it's messy, it's meandering, it's French. The whole story construction is flat out bizarre to me, and lacks subtlety, but makes up for it by saddling the viewer with many "action" sequences that don't really amount to much.
The mystery of BOTW was a bit of a let-down, but that's my personal bias of the whole backstory being what it was.
Trim about 30 minutes from this film, it would go a long way into making it more coherent and afford more impact to the action sequences. The "wolf" was not too well integrated with most of the action sequences, but it was serviceable CGI at worst.
But if you gotta see something different and yet vaguely familiar, give the Wolf a chance. Plus there's an excellent splice cut going from luscious Monica Belluci to some snow-covered hills in the film. :)
I rate it a grade of C+ or 2.5 stars.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, I forgot, while I was watching this film, I got the point where I was asking myself when is this movie ever going to end? It just goes on and on and on and on...I could have sworn the Energizer Bunny had a producer's credit in this film...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for Brotherhood of the Wolf. Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues, please post your discussion comments in the Official Discussion Thread for this film which can be found at this link.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'd stay pumped. I really enjoyed it, although it certainly is out there. See it for yourself and decide.
Saw it in DC tonight (1/19) in a packed theater. Quite a fun movie. I explained it to my wife as a movie that stole most of the good movie ideas from the last few years and made a decent, comprehensible, FUN movie out of them. That DVD Patrick showed (and Sam D. mentioned) looks wonderful, but no doubt we'll get a one disc release in the US. You can't win them all. For once, living in DC paid off:)
3.5/4 stars. It's a popcorn movie, but a good one!
Take care,
Chuck
P.S. Yes, Monica Bellucci is THAT hot!
Edited to include my short review from the NOW discussion thread:D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It seems like some of you don't understand the following so I'm repeating it again.
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for Brotherhood of the Wolf. Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
Crawdaddy

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Here's a revised version of the review I posted on 1/12 (the original is buried in what has now been designated the Official Discussion thread):
This film is astonishing. It takes place in a world that's entirely an artificial construct from a movielover's overheated imagination. And yet, even while you're ticking off the sources and influences, you find youself sucked right in, because somehow it works. The filmmakers don't just borrow things; they rediscover and reinvigorate them.
For example, there's a sequence near the beginning that anyone who's ever seen Jaws will recognize immediately. But even as you're thinking to yourself, "That's from Jaws!", you're knocked back in your seat by how violent and scary it is -- just like when you first saw Jaws. The film is full of similar moments, from monster movies, Hong Kong action flicks, high-toned costume drama, even the serial killer genre (there's a lair that could have been John Doe's in Se7en). The filmmakers toss all this stuff into a blender and hit frappé. And just when you think they can't resolve it satisfactorily, they do.
Remarkable stuff, and a lot of fun to watch (and listen to -- the soundtrack is both bombastic and atmospheric, which ain't easy). I've seen both critics and viewers complain that the film is too long, but I never thought it dragged for a second. It's a film fueled by excess, so a little extra length is appropriate. Highly recommended.
M.

ChrisOlson

Auditioning
I agree with Michael, this film is completely awesome.
A little bazzare at times? Yes! A little too many kicks to the gut? Perhaps! I loved every minute of it.
Basically, if you ever wanted to combine Blade along with Ghost and the Darkness, you will have a great time.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Just saw this last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
I'd probably give it :star::star::star::star: outta :star::star::star::star::star: rating.
I agree with everyone else who says that the mixing of the multiple generes works well for this film. I never once thought that any aspect of the film was out of place.
The cinematograpy was breathtaking! I was watching in awe every scence. Some of it reminded me of Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow.
Excellent film that I'll have to see again.
Troy

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Even with its few faults, Brotherhood of the Wolf still manages to entertain. It’s attempt to mix several genres into one film attains a level of success to a certain extent.
The action sequences are well done and are not drawn out or repetitive unlike a certain wizard film that was released in mid-December. ;) However, unlike that other action-adventure film, Brotherhood contains very little depth and makes it that much less memorable.
However, it is the production values that make the film what it is – its cinematography, set designs and acting all make for a worthwhile 2 ½ hour escapism at the theaters.
Brotherhood of the Wolf rates :star: :star: :star: (out of four).
~Edwin

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I was quite lukewarm on this. It was hard to understand how a film like this could contain so little suspense. They tried to drum up the feeling that the Wolf was some mythical, unstoppable beast...but it came off oddly flat. I think it was also a mistake to borrow another aspect from Jaws in that they made you wait so long to see the beast. By the time you did get to it, it was anti-climatic. The action scenes were good and after the first fight scene, I thought this was going to be the kick-ass film of the year. But, the filmmakers were quite adept at grinding the movie to a halt when they should've been driving it even harder. The backstory scenes were abysmal. The pacing of them were even worse. At times, you could almost hear the director turning the script pages and admonishing those who tried to actually pick up the pace. And, as Pat said, the action scenes themselves were really nothing special. A few, such as the little girls revision of the attack, were superb...but most were standard and just barely, at that. The settings, cinematography and vistas were all top notch..but, it just wasn't enough to overcome such a laggard film. I can't help but think what the outcome would have been if they would've lightened it up and tried to make it more a comedy. Everyone seemed way too serious.
Brotherhood of the Wolf :star: :star:
Bruce

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
What an interesting combination of elements. You've got your basic werewolf story, mixed with a religious conspiracy, mixed with a Jet Li film, all rolled into a period costume drama. Certainly not one to be dismissed as a lack of creativity. The film is very well accomplished, with some very rousing action sequences directed with a pretty sure hand and a concise visual style. That said, the film isn't necessarily without fault. The special effects for the 'Wolf' are at times a little spotty (although it is very effective in most of the movie), and the film is a bit longer than necessary. However, it was a very welcome treat to see so many different elements brought together so well. The cast also was well selected, with both Monica Belucci and Samuel Le Bihan giving some nice performances.
A worthy viewing for certain. Kept me engaged through a very late viewing. :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks