What's new

*** Official "BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If Fox Searchlight can keep this going into the fall, they can do a whole new campaign when Parminder Nagra joins the cast of ER.
Actually, they've already started. :) I was looking up showtimes for BILB this weekend at AMC's website and one of the banner ads on the page for BILB had Parminder's picture and the caption "ER's Parminder Nagra." It confused me at first, since I had no recollection of seeing her on the show, but I checked IMDB and went to her profile, and there it was:

"ER" (1994) TV Series .... Neela (2003 - ?)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Bend it like Beckham was a big hit in the UK, as you might expect. However, I've got to say that whilst it was a pleasant movie, it wasn't particularly brilliant or innovative. The Brits produce a lot of movies like this, and have done since the classic Ealing Comedies of the 1950s - most are fairly gentle comedies with a social/cultural dilemma at their heart. Sometimes they work, a lot of the time they divebomb, even with Brit audiences.

Incidentally, the title has a much greater cultural resonance in the UK. For those of you who don't know, David Beckham has almost godlike status in the UK, and his recent move from Manchester United (imagine your five best American football teams rolled into one, and you'll get an inkling of the status of this team) to a Spanish team was front page news for weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks