What's new

Official 2023 Oscar Nominations And Discussions Thread (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Yeah no. Its losing to the Donkey movie.

I believe you're referring to EO?

Haven't seen any of the International noms. But since All Quiet is nom'd for Best Picture, then All Quiet is by "default" (and logic) the best International film. I understand there are differences in nominating processes and whatnot - I'm just going by the idea that International is a subset of all films.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
and the Black Panther song will win a little stauette as well, but I don't know that BP will win anything else, as I think some of those noms petained to the first flick.

I disagree. I loved Wakanda Forever overall, but if there is one Oscar that the movie absolutely deserves to win, it's Angela Bassett for Best Supporting Actress. Whether she'll get it instead of the other worthy nominees is a different issue, but Bassett's nomination is not a holdover from the first BP.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Definitely an uptick in nominating films for Best Picture that people actually saw this year with Avatar, Top Gun, Elvis, and Everything Everywhere.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Best animated feature film
  • "Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio"
  • "Marcel the Shell with Shoes On"
  • "Puss in Boots: The Last Wish"
  • "The Sea Beast"
  • "Turning Red"

The other week, my wife ordered the limited UHD edition of Marcel the Shell with Shoes On from A24's website. We've been looking forward to watching it, but especially now.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
I disagree. I loved Wakanda Forever overall, but if there is one Oscar that the movie absolutely deserves to win, it's Angela Bassett for Best Supporting Actress. Whether she'll get it instead of the other worthy nominees is a different issue, but Bassett's nomination is not a holdover from the first BP.
I almost mentioned her as the exception to my comments about prior technical awards.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Will it sweep like at Critics Choice.

FnPqaGHWYAAamKh

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Complete shut out for Till, as well, which has garnered a bunch of other noms in the industry.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I've been a fan of Stephanie Hsu since BE MORE CHILL, so I am glad she got in. She is great in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE. Angela Bassett would still get my vote if I had one to give, but I'm glad to see her recognized.

If you haven't seen Hsu in The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, she is also excellent in it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Definitely an uptick in nominating films for Best Picture that people actually saw this year with Avatar, Top Gun, Elvis, and Everything Everywhere.
Not a real surprise. I have read comments at another site on Oscar threads in the past that some feel the Academy’s choices aren’t for the everyman. I think the Academy has to try to pull in more casual film fans to try to reverse the downturn in TV ratings.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was never under any delusion that Nope would get a Best Picture nom but if Top Gun can get one, I'm bitter that Nope didn't. Hell, if TG got one, I'm bitter that X and Pearl didn't get nominated. :laugh:

Judd Hirsch was great in The Fabelmans but it's more like a Best One Scene Performance rather than Best Supporting Actor.

Angela Bassett has been amazing for decades so I'm hoping that she'll get higher profile roles (and bigger paychecks) thanks to this nomination.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I was never under any delusion that Nope would get a Best Picture nom but if Top Gun can get one, I'm bitter that Nope didn't. Hell, if TG got one, I'm bitter that X and Pearl didn't get nominated. :laugh:

Judd Hirsch was great in The Fabelmans but it's more like a Best One Scene Performance rather than Best Supporting Actor.

Angela Bassett has been amazing for decades so I'm hoping that she'll get higher profile roles (and bigger paychecks) thanks to this nomination.
Hirsch- remember, Beatrice Straight won her Oscar for basically just one scene in Network, and Ned Beatty was nominated for just one scene in the same film. Bizarre, but not unprecedented.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I have seen half of the Best Picture nominees. I want to see TAR but missed it when it was in theaters last fall. I could rent it but have been waiting to see if nominations will prompt it to be reissued. I'm not particularly interested in the others that I chose not to see.

I believe Tar will be coming to Peacock this Friday (if you subscribe).

EDIT:

Confirmed for Jan 27.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks