What's new

Official 2023 Oscar Nominations And Discussions Thread (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I believe Tar will be coming to Peacock this Friday (if you subscribe).

Thanks, but I'd rather go in a theater as I regret missing it the first time. My local Cinemark just added showtimes for this weekend, and they will be bringing it back, so I'll go to see it. Maverick, Everything Everywhere All At Once and Elvis are also back.

On another note, just looked up To Leslie.

As of now, The Numbers doesn't have any North American box office recorded for it at all. The current international total is $1,439. I'm sharing screenshots in order to freeze the gross as of this point for the record. Obviously, there's a good chance the grosses could increase if the Oscar nomination prompts an actual release for this thing.

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 2.44.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 2.47.33 PM.png

I can't judge the quality of the work because I haven't seen it, but this might just be the lowest-grossing movie ever to receive an Oscar nomination. (Obviously, films that went straight to streaming in the pandemic would be lower because their gross is $0, but I mean films that received theatrical releases.) If there is something lower, I can't recall what it is.

Considering the Academy has demonstrated a clear preference for smaller movies over the course of last several years, that's really saying something.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My wife and I were hoping to admire All Quiet...However, as a fan of the novel and the original film, this remake fell flat. It didn't build on the young men's characters and eventual disillusionment. I just didn't care for their fate as I had cared while reading the book or watching the 1930 film.
I didn't mind the addition of the Armistice talks (not in the book) since it added some context to what was going on behind the scenes, but the climax on Armistice Day strikes a false note since our hero's
demise
occurred on A Quiet Day on the Western Front.
Of course, the CGI is impressive and the devastation shown is awful bloody (as it should be). But we were sorely disappointed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And didn't Judi Dench win for something like 4 minutes or less of screen time in Shakespeare in Love?
9 minutes. Straight's 5 minutes is the winning record. I'm not sure what the records are for the other categories, but I'd guess Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs is the briefest for Best Actor and Luise Rainer for The Great Ziegfeld for Best Actress. Those would be my guesses.

Last edited:

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Happy to see ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT do so well.
Bravo to Bill Nighy for LIVING.
Too bad MOONAGE DAYDREAM didn't get in for Documentary, but very happy for ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED.
Really? POP GUN 2 for Screenplay? Are these the MTV Awards?
The TRIANGLE OF SADNESS nominations are ridiculous, and the less said about EEAAO the better.
Sorry Deadwyler didn't get in for Actress, but happy to see Ana De Armas.
The shutout for SHE SAID is sad, its so much better than many of the actual nominees
No DECISION TO LEAVE in International? Surprising.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
9 minutes. Straight's 5 minutes is the winning record. I'm not sure what the records are for the other categories, but I'd guess Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs is the briefest for Best Actor and Luise Rainer for The Great Ziegfeld for Best Actress. Those would be my guesses.
Hopkins's role was really a supporting one. Rainer won simply because Garbo's Camille, though technically a 1936 film, wasn't nominated until '37 (why?). Garbo would have undoubtedly won.
There's a difference between supporting and co-starring, something people forget these days. For instance, among recent winners, Vikander and Viola Davis weren't supporting anyone. They were fully co-stars. But their wins were assured in the supporting category.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The shutout for SHE SAID is sad, its so much better than many of the actual nominees
Had SHE SAID been nominated, the telecast could have included a cringe montage of all of the movies produced by Harvey Weinstein that received Oscar nominations and awards through the years, and every time his name has been mentioned in an acceptance speech.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Given the backlash surrounding the Best Actress noms, where Viola Davis and Danielle Deadwyler were both left out, even though they had been talked up in the last couple of months, I enjoyed this scathing article:

I especially liked the closing paragraph:

"Still, good for Yeoh, who has taken all of her Best Actress campaign opportunities to shit on Hollywood for being racist and ageist. We can only hope her potential Oscars speech is just as brutally honest and impolite!"

:D

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Danielle Deadwyler made me weep in the theater for a reason. I'm sad she wasn't nominated.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Had SHE SAID been nominated, the telecast could have included a cringe montage of all of the movies produced by Harvey Weinstein that received Oscar nominations and awards through the years, and every time his name has been mentioned in an acceptance speech.

A. Wouldn't happen.
B. Why should that reflect on the work by Director Schrader, Mulligan, Kazan, Morton and the rest of the cast & crew that deserved recognition?

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
A. Wouldn't happen.
B. Why should that reflect on the work by Director Schrader, Mulligan, Kazan, Morton and the rest of the cast & crew that deserved recognition?
The point being that, regardless of the qualities of SHE SAID, the crimes of Harvey Weinstein were swept under the rug by Hollywood and ignored by the Academy for decades, making him the elephant in the room the Academy would probably rather we not think about while we celebrate the magic of movies.

I'm not saying SHE SAID isn't worthy of recognition, just that it's likely a sore subject.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Apparently To Leslie doesn't currently have a US distributer. That will probably change soon. It is available on VOD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The point being that, regardless of the qualities of SHE SAID, the crimes of Harvey Weinstein were swept under the rug by Hollywood and ignored by the Academy for decades, making him the elephant in the room the Academy would probably rather we not think about while we celebrate the magic of movies.

Not saying SHE SAID isn't deserving of recognition, just that it's likely a sore subject.
Hollywood has nobody to blame except themselves.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Did you see She Said?
And to be clear, my opinion has nothing to do with She Said. I just feel that Oscar nominations shouldn’t be expected for any film I or others like. That just then brings out that dumb “snubbed” word when it’s not nominated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks