What's new

*** "Offical "AUSTIN POWERS IN GOLDMEMBER" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Here it is, opening night for the new Austin Powers movie Goldmember and there seems to be very little buzz about it.
There were early showings tonight so I expected to see some members reviews posted.
Nothing.
Is this a bad sign? Has the appeal of Austin Powers faded?
Anyone?...anyone?...:confused:

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I posted this on another site but forgot to post it over here.

There was an advance last night which i saw and here's my mini review.

--
Just got back from the screening which as expected was entirely packed and started over 30 minutes late due to prize giveaways and just trying to get everyone in their seats for the show. I'd say this screening was crazier then the Star Wars : Episode 2 screening a few months back in terms of people and crowds.

Initial thoughts. I enjoyed the movie but it's not quite at the level of the Spy Who Shagged Me and International Man of Mystery. It seems as though a lot of the good jokes were already taken. A number of the scenes in the new movie feel like rehashes from the old material and therefore those jokes really don't work as well as they would if the concept was new. My biggest problem with the movie has to be the character of Foxy Cleopatra played by Beyonce Knowles. Personally I thought this was poor casting and her scenes annoyed me. She doesn't have the spunk of Felicity Shagwell or the elegance of Vanessa Kensington. She just seems rather loud and annoying. The character of Goldmember is hard to understand and lacks the villianious power or Dr Evil but is still fun to watch.

This third film sort of goes into the origins of the characters and while it's interesting it really distracts from the key concept of the character.

Still, It ended up being better then I expected. If you love the first two you'll love this one.

And yes, the star cameos are pretty cool. Definetely arrive to the theater on time or you might miss some. Oh and stay through the credits as well.

Yeah Baby.

Mark

--

Oh and on a side note. I got to hang with someone from my high school who appeared in Playboy last year as Playmate of the Month. It was cool seeing her again.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I just got back, laughed my ass off. Better than the second one IMO. Good stuff. Starts great, slows down a little, but when the prison scene starts the movie takes off again and doesn't let up.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Since this seems like the future discussion thread, I'll engage in discussion. I really liked Beyonce, she was not only sexy but had a great onscreen presence. In fact I liked her a lot more than Heather Graham (who I think is great) in the second one. I never bought Heather Graham as a spy and she didn't even come off very sexy.

I laughed my ass off at the Tom Cruise spoof at the beginning of the movie.

Where was Katie Curic in the movie?

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Yeah I don't remember her.

What did you guys think of the Ghetto Anthem parody? That was one of my favorite parts of the movie.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I will say that local critic Ed Johnson-Ott (appears at RTomatoes too) bascially said this in his opening paragraph...
"If you liked the first 2, stop reading this and go see it. You will laugh."
After that he kinda mildly trashed it for the same reasons we've been hearing - rehashed material and the joke might be getting old type of comments.
But hey, I'll be there first showing tomorrow so I'll let you know. :)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Austin Powers in Goldmember". Please post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

Jason

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys. I didn't enjoy this one all that much, though I'm glad you guys did. (I hope all the AP fans dig it a bit more than I did.) My review (posted in the Review Thread) seems a bit more harsh than it wanted it to, but I honestly only laughed hard 4 or 5 times. And those laughs were short.
I'm sure New Line will deliver a wonderful DVD of Goldmember, so I'll be happy to revisit the movie in another five months. As it stands, color me disappointed in this sequel. :frowning:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Scott, I thought your review was dead-on regarding the characters/actors, especially Goldmember. And I am a fan of the first two as well.

It certainly wasn't awful. It just wasn't all that funny.

I still expect a weekend take north of $60M, and plenty of happy fans.

Take care,
Chuck

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
She was the prison guard in the scene where Austin meets Dr Evil in jail ala Silence of the Lambs.
I thought Beyonce Knowles was pretty good, better than I expected. I didn't care for the Goldmember character. Sorry, I never once laughed at him. A lot of the jokes fell flat. Still, there were enough truly funny moments to make it worth another viewing.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

You and I are definitely on the same wavelength here. I certainly didn't HATE the movie; it just seemed a bit threadbare in many areas. Despite my unenthusiastic response, I'd still recommend it to fans of the series. Oddball humor like this is highly subjective. I expect that those fans will be mildly disappointed with Part 3, but I hope they laugh more often than I did.

And it's a better film than MIB2, Deeds, and Scooby combined...tho that's surely not saying much.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
And it's a better film than MIB2, Deeds, and Scooby combined...tho that's surely not saying much.
So you're saying it's more than a *½ movie? :) And you know, it's not that hard to make a movie that's better than MIB2, Deeds, and Scooby combined. :D
I'm going to see an afternoon show of this. I was a huge fan of the first two films, so I'm hoping that it is funny (hopefully I'll give it more than **½ unlike MIB, Deeds, and Scooby :)) and not a complete dud like some reviewers are making it out to be.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Short and sweet: Funniest thing I've seen so far this year.

Dec 17th (rumoured release date on DVD) can't come soon enough!

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I have mixed feelings about this one. So far the trailers and tv spots have been terribly unfunny (was the whole mole thing in the tv spot supposed to be funny?). But I'll see it anyway, being a fan of the first two films.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Saw this last night. I was crying I was laughing so hard. I've posted a review over in the review thread. Suffice to say that if you read the reviews that say "it's all rehashed", you are going to miss out. Some of the same types of jokes are in here, but they are "twisted" around and taken to the "next level." Everyone in the theater I was in was laughing hysterically, and some of the women were a bit grossed out, which is to be expected. If you liked #2 better than #1, then you will like this movie. If you liked #1 better than #2, then you might not care for part 3.

The only two things I didn't like were:
1.)Goldmember's culinary tastes
2.)The revelation about Dr Evil's character at the end kind of "ruins" the first two movies.

Overall, this was the most entertained I've been at the theater since Dumb & Dumber came out back in 1994. I cannot wait for the DVD and the deleted scenes.

Regards,
Dan

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
I never bought Heather Graham as a spy and she didn't even come off very sexy.
Wow, in my opinion, this is one of the sexiest performances around. She just looks damn fine in every scene she's in. I didn't think she was that convincing as a spy either, but who the heck cares when she looks that good? It's not like she was playing a nuclear scientist.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks