What's new

Oddity with my Digital copy of Thor (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just went into iTunes to look at my copy of Thor and found that on my Appletv 4K device it does not show as 4K.
So I started watching and while it doesn’t appear to be a 4K version it does enable the DV pop up. And the info drop down says DV, also no Atmos sound.

No 4K makes sense since I added the code well before iTunes started adding the Marvel movies in as 4K.
It’s strange that it plays in Dolby vision though and the apps on both my iPhone and iPad show that I own the full 4K versions there.

The other weird thing is the cover art.
On the Atv4K it had the old cover art, everywhere else it’s the new art with the white background and then swoosh of color across the middle.

Going over to the iTunes Store it says that I don’t own Thor.

what’s going on? Anyone have an idea?

42988325-01B4-443E-92CD-15C9D8CA187A.jpeg C54D2187-7E9B-4C69-B624-AA62383D8BED.jpg D90A16C0-771A-48AC-B570-981F2CD31261.jpeg 24489E41-B033-4E3F-B204-5E18E6B0F232.jpeg 5F55A7FB-8D44-465E-A61B-84CC10650C6C.jpeg 31277FA6-FD3A-4FE5-86B6-25732A7DF421.jpg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just went into iTunes to look at my copy of Thor and found that on my Appletv 4K device it does not show as 4K.
So I started watching and while it doesn’t appear to be a 4K version it does enable the DV pop up. And the info drop down says DV, also no Atmos sound.

No 4K makes sense since I added the code well before iTunes started adding the Marvel movies in as 4K.
It’s strange that it plays in Dolby vision though and the apps on both my iPhone and iPad show that I own the full 4K versions there.

The other weird thing is the cover art.
On the Atv4K it had the old cover art, everywhere else it’s the new art with the white background and then swoosh of color across the middle.

Going over to the iTunes Store it says that I don’t own Thor.

what’s going on? Anyone have an idea?

View attachment 103932 View attachment 103933 View attachment 103934 View attachment 103935 View attachment 103936 View attachment 103937
You own an orphaned version no longer available on iTunes. Not that unusual. I’ve had quite a few that come from SD redemptions which got bumped to HD though Movies Anywhere, and then eventually reverted back to SD. You might check if you still own HD at Movies Anywhere. As for SD playing in HDR, that’s a known bug with iTunes. I’ve talked about it before.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I looked in MA. It’s not there. Not sure where I redeemed it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As Mark stated, it's not unusual as I had movies that were SD, but enabled DV like the Back to the Future sequels. Wherever you redeemed it, it was in SD and not HD.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thor was one of the early Marvel titles that was originally distributed by Paramount. Disney acquired the rights later on down the line. But if your disc is old enough to have come from Paramount, perhaps that's why it's not showing in Movies Anywhere? Paramount is not a Movies Anywhere participating studio. Just a guess. I could be wrong.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thor was one of the early Marvel titles that was originally distributed by Paramount. Disney acquired the rights later on down the line. But if your disc is old enough to have come from Paramount, perhaps that's why it's not showing in Movies Anywhere? Paramount is not a Movies Anywhere participating studio. Just a guess. I could be wrong.
Jake makes an excellent point!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The first Iron Man movie is another such title.

Edit: After checking I have two streams of "Iron Man 2" and "Thor" in my iTunes digital library. Only one of each with 4K Dolby Vision and Atmos. Furthermore, MA only has that version in my digital library there which tells me that other stream on iTunes was a Paramount redemption.

Also, I just checked that "Captain America: The First Avenger" is another such title.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For the record, The first MCU film to be distributed by Disney was The Avengers in 2012. Paramount handled the theatrical run and initial disc releases of:

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For the record, The first MCU film to be distributed by Disney was The Avengers in 2012. Paramount handled the theatrical run and initial disc releases of:

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Thor

Captain America: The First Avenger
That's correct! First off, I bought every Marvel movie on Blu-ray and did the same when they were released again on 4K disc. I just pulled out my discs for all four movies. My first Iron Man Blu-ray didn't even have a digital code when released on 09-30-08. While Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger had a DVD with a digital copy. All of that explains why I only have Iron Man once in my iTunes digital library in 4K/DV/DA. Digital wasn't offered in its first BD release. While the other three movies has two digital streams with only one of each being in 4K/DV/DA.

I hope this answers Tony's inquiries as I'm done.:)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, I have that same DC of Thor as well. It's from one of those iTunes on disc DCs that was provided during the early days of DCs. And makes sense this particular case didn't get the MA upgrade treatment because it was a Paramount release.

I actually considered getting the Thor trilogy in 4K via this past weekend's Vudu sale (trilogy bundle for $20), but decided to hold off instead as the first 2 movies don't get much play for us, and we have the HD DC from our BD of the 3rd movie, which serves us fine enough so far -- I'm really the only one in the family who cares about 4K anyway... and BDs of those should do fine for me for now...

_Man_

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip

Movies Anywhere used to have a section of their FAQ specifically about the original Marvel movies. They would add the movies to your account if they saw proof of them in one of the connected retailers. In my MA redemption list, it shows those as being redeemed in MA, even though I did the disc-based redemption through itunes. And then after a while, I showed two copies in my itunes library.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So I’m not surprised about the old version of Thor digital copy being probably SD and having DV.
I am surprised or confused as to why my iPad and iPhone app of iTunes shows that
879B81B5-BD2D-4082-B55C-B2EC2712F48E.jpeg
I have the new version that is 4K, DV, DA

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I do have the old blu ray and a 3D copy of Thor so I’ll have to check the codes in those to see what I get.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I’ve found, and it’s bloody annoying, that if you find a title in your library, you get the correct listing of the quality you own. If you search for a title, it shows the highest quality that title comes in. It’s one of the reasons that I think the media library apps for Apple are the absolute worst.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, seems clearly some bug(s) w/ their apps.

Personally, I've actually gone and "deleted" (or more accurately, hidden) those specific cases (of SD versions) from my library so there's no confusion and other potential problems from them. I have no interest in seeing them in SD anyway, even if they don't get HDR incorrectly applied to them.

I just checked my iTunes account, and I currently have these "deleted"/hidden from my library -- I can unhide them at anytime, which I've done on rare occasions to check something, but will normally leave them hidden:

Good Will Hunting
Captain America: First Avenger
Thor
Puss in Boots
Kung Fu Panda 2
Titanic
Skyfall
Forbidden Kingdom

I had "deleted"/hidden an SD version of Kick-Ass as well, but it's no longer listed now after I finally managed to replace it w/ the 4K version (I bought) a while ago -- buying that upgrade was a bit of a mess and took a couple different tries (across 2 different sales) before I figured out I needed to "delete"/hide the old SD version... at least for that specific case.

Interestingly, Captain America has not likewise disappeared from that list (so far) after I bought the 4K from Vudu this past weekend, which transferred to MA and then iTunes/Apple...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks