What's new

odd problem with garage door opener. (1 Viewer)

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
I happen to have an "Overhead Door" garage door opener with the "codedodger" technology. My neighbor has an older Sears craftsman model. He lost his remote clicker and bought a universal remote. Now my clicker opens his door. His doesn't open mine. I told him he may have to buy another opener. But he doesn't want to do that. Is there any other alternative?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the old openers used to have like 6 dip switches that configured the frequency, or code, or however it determins which opener opens it. I would think he could switch his code and be fine.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Our garage doors that we have have little dip switches inside the opener itself, try to look at the manual to set both the transmitter and receiver and see if that does it. (record your settings first before you start playing with it though).

You wont believe the amount of people who don't change the default setting. My brother-in-law installs garage doors and he tells me he could probably drive around and open peoples doors if he wanted too. But then again, he could probably hotwire a door anyway since he is a pro installer.

Jay

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
He lost his remote clicker and bought a universal remote. Now my clicker opens his door.
I find this perplexing. How would replacing his remote cause his door to respond differently? That's like buying an All-For-One for your HT and discovering that doing so caused your HT television to respond to your bedroom TV's remote.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I find this perplexing. How would replacing his remote cause his door to respond differently?
The explanation I can think of is that when he bought the new remote, he changed the dip switch codes on the overhead unit to match the remote instead of the other way around.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Just curious... would this make the door go up at 60 miles/hour?
The gear on the garage door, at least mine appears to be fixed. However, if you were to change the gear ratio, then perhaps you could make the door go up pretty fast although 60mph would need some hefty acceleration to get there in the short distance.

Jay

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
He lost his remote clicker and bought a universal remote.
I think I get it now. Your friend bought a new clicker (transmitter) and receiver package (what you're calling the remote) and bypassed the existing receiver in the old garage door, right? And his new remote system has the same rolling-code security that your new system has, no doubt. If this is the case, then there are probably no DIP switches to set.

There are two things he can do (select one):

1. Get a new clicker for the old receiver. (Won't work with your clicker, but not as secure, either.)

2. Randomize his clicker's code (is there a recessed hole that a paper clip will fit into?) and follow the procedure to "marry" the newly randomized clicker with the receiver.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what happens.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
And his new remote system has the same rolling-code security that your new system has, no doubt.
would that be the issue? even if they had the exact same setup, the rolling code randomizes - so the odds of them having the same code at the same time should be almost nill???

i think the neighbor bought a new universal remote (clicker), but he's still trying to transmit to the original receiver with the old garage door opener....

boy, i sure am putting a lot of thought into this ... i must be pretty bored. ;)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
If his door responds to your remote, but your door doesn't respond to his, then it's likely that his receiver doesn't implement the rolling-code security feature very well, if at all. But I'm convinced that his new setup has the feature, or his door wouldn't respond to your clicker at all.

Then again, maybe it is implemented well, and it just needs to be re-randomized. Coincidences, though rare, do occur with such things.

If you re-randomize yours, then the effect should be the same.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
I e-mailed "Overhead door" and this is the responce.

I have seen Chamberlain, Sears, or Liftmaster operators start running with our Codedodger remotes. Their operator has a door that is left open which welcomes our remotes. The only time I have seen the door close is when one of their wireless keypads is learned into their operator.
My remote opens and closes his door.

For now, I reclose his door if it opens when I use my remote. I'll let him know about the dip switches the next time I see him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks