What's new

O.S.I.: Free (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
According to their website (www.osiband.com), Free was supposed to be out last Friday but most retailers have it as the usual/typical Tuesday release date of April 25 (tomorrow).

Why don't we (USA) have the double-CD release like Europe? Like we had for the first release? I don't understand this release strategy: release more tracks overseas than in your own country. I don't want to buy imports from overseas retailers.

If anyone has this already, how does it sound? Similar to the first album? Totally different direction?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Usually, releases like that are because they want to encourage a market to buy locally, rather than import it. In the past, it ment that Europe and Japan got bonus tracks, but with progressive rock, the US has often gotten the bonus tracks, because we were more likely to import an album.

BTW, you can pick up the 2CD version at The Laser's Edge (www.lasercd.com), not to be confused with the DVD retailer advertised on this board. I don't have it yet, but I do need to put in a big order with Ken. (New Flower Kings, New Andromeda, and new Vanden Plas...)

Ken also has a description up. Basically it sounds like it is more in line with Kev's Chroma Key stuff, just with a guitarist.

Jason

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
This was one of my most anticipated CDs of the year. I love the first one and I really had high hopes. Unfortunately, I think it's very disappointing. The faster songs seem kind of lifeless, and there is a general lack of energy. It appears that Kevin Moore did most of the writing, but even his more electronic numbers are not as interesting to me. Oh well, I'll continue to give it a chance.

Chris

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I feel the same way about Queensryche's new album. You have to give it more of a good listen to form a good opinion on it. I'm still spinning that one and reading the lyrics.

I haven't gotten Free yet but the OSI website now says April 25 is the release date (April 21 was for Germany). It also says that the only way to get the bonus tracks is to order as an import. Burning Shed is the recommended retailer (direct from OSI) to purchase it since more of your money goes to OSI. It comes out to about $25 USD.

So I guess retailers weren't too happy with sales of the first Special Edition so they decided not to import Free: Special Edition.

If anyone does buy the import, please post your opinions on the bonus tracks. Thanks.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Even though I was chomping at the bit to hear this (I love the first one), I decided to wait for the 2-disc to be delivered even though I saw the 1-disc locally at Borders. I just got it over the weekend and this morning's commute was the first time I started listening to it.

I haven't gotten to the bonus disc yet, but I'm sure I'll get through it before I get home-40 minute drive.

My impressions so far:

It's very different than the first one. While I thought the first one was pretty much dead center between Fates Warning and Chroma Key, this one seems to be leaning more towards CK, even though it's heavier. I think the sound is fantastic. I'm a little torn on the bass. While I think the bass sounds used by Joey Vera and whoever else played bass (either Moore or Matheos) are more immediate and help it be more dynamic of a mix, Sean Malone definitely added something to the first release that is missing now.

Not that any of this is "bad". It's always difficult to dispel pre-conceived notions for a follow-up to one of your favorite CD's. I'm always happy to see a project try something different.

I'll definitely give it a few repeat spins right away to see what sticks and what doesn't. Right now it doesn't seem as catchy as OSI 1, but that could change. I do get the feeling more of the material was written by Moore this time. Matheos has a way of writing chord progressions that seems instantly recognizable to me, and I'm not hearing as much of that so far. Haven't heard anything that sounds like the opening to "When You're Ready" or the riffs in "Head".

BTW, I got mine from www.lasercd.com, but it appears they're out at the moment. I would also check www.theendrecords.com regularly, as they may stock it soon.

One more interesting note-the 1-disc version's label says's "Feel", not "Free". This is the adhesive white label under the shrink wrap. Funny.

More thoughts later...

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
OK-done listening to both discs.

My initial impressions stand.

As far as the bonus disc, it's interesting, but it almost seems more like CK demos. Very industrial in parts. The first tune, "OSIDEA", is kind of cool because it does have that feel of the original OSI record. The rest of the stuff is experimental to my ears. The demo of "When You're Ready" is pretty much the same tune with slightly different lyrics here and there, drum programming in place of Portnoy, and a little less "bigness" to the sound.

My honest opinion is unless you can readily obtain the 2-disc, the 1-disc is probably fine.

I know I rarely listen to the second disc from OSI 1, but then again I thought disc 1 was perfect as is.

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. Well, except that I still spin disc 2 from OSI 1 quite often.

I'm loving this CD -- I think I may like it even more than the first record. I agree that this one sounds more like a heavy CK, but that's not a bad thing. Favorite tracks right now: "Sure You Will," "Go," "Better" and "Our Town."

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
No not a bad thing all. There's just a vibe about OSI 1 that has grabbed me since day 1.

I think it had something to do with it coming out just aroudn the time the war started. Kind of a grim time, and OSI 1 has a sort melancholy feel to it. Just fit the mood of the time for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks