What's new

O.K I've got 5 remotes now, suggestions?? (1 Viewer)

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,
I never get insulted by anyone's opinions no matter how wrong they are! :)..J/K!!!...I was not aware of those refurbed Prontos on the market. I know the Pronto does all the same features as the Sony and more, I just found the Sony easier to use and for the $$$ performs very well.
I tried playing the Denon Atkis...man what a pain in the a$$ that was!!!......I am waiting for them to come out with Voice controlled remotes...ultimate in lazy ass technology!!
Mike

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
The refurbs are available at J&R (maybe one-call as well), not sure about the web site, maybe just in their flyer. You are absolutely, 100%, right about the the Atkis. Almost as bad as the name.
Jim L

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
For you folks with the RS remote.. do you find it problematic that you have hard buttons only?
Reason I ask is that I've become tired of multiple remotes too and thought I'd try to use my Onkyo 989's mapping/macro capability.
What I found is that with just hard buttons (which relate neither in name or placement to the remotes being replaced), I too easily lose track of what button controls what. Plus, I don't believe I have volume punch thru either.
I can easily program my 989 remote to work the TV and DVD player.. but the lack of correct labeling makes the issue moot.. unless I keep my mapping guide out for reference.. which makes replacing the other remotes moot.
w/r/t using macros, I found that my TV needs more time after power on before I can switch inputs on it (so I just need to rearrange where I cut on the TV in the sequence, I think).
So comparing the RS and the HTM-500, is the HTM-500 much easier to use assuming you can label the hard button functions?
Can you plug a pause into the sequence for certain equipment that needs it before accepting further input?
I was hoping to save a bit of cash by using my 989's remote. However, it may be too limited in what I want to do. I admit to not having spent much time playing with this feature yet.
Thanks.
------------------
--RR

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,
The Radio Shack remotes are labeled just fine. No problems there.
As far as delays, yes, the remotecentral.com website has lots of information about these remotes and when I was setting up my macros someone there helped me by suggesting a good code to add a delay into the sequence. The following site is also a must for the RS and OFA remotes.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,
I upgraded from the 15-1994 to the HTM MX-500 for almost that exact reason. With the Radio Shack, you have to remember what you have programmed where, right up to and including the fact that the device buttons are rather stupidly labeled (no Audio/Receiver or DVD buttons, so I had to use AUX1 and AUX2 for those.) Likewise, there are an assortment of weird DVD and receiver controls for which there is no existing hard button.
Now, you can get these *into* the remote, but to use the remote you have to rely on memory or a printed guide. This works OK, but I just decided I wanted something nicer, and was willing to pay for it. The ability to program labels on the MX-500's buttons is wonderful, and yes, it is very easy to use all the way around.
The main limitations on the MX-500 relative to the RS are:
1) You can only put macros on certain buttons. I wish this limitation were not there, but the way they have it implemented is smart enough that it has turned out not to be much of a problem.
2) Can't directly enter advanced codes. If I need to, I can just program them into my RS and then learn them into the HTM. Many take this approach. So far, I haven't actually needed to use any advanced codes on my system.
There's another, less important one but my mind is blank.
The advantages of the MX-500 (which you pay for, though not overly much) are significant: *much* easier programming, the LCD buttons with programmable labels, ability to learn to every key with no memory limitations. With the MX-500, you've actually got a shot at figuring out how to use it just from looking at it and seeing how it's programmed.
The RS 15-1994 is an amazing remote for the money, but if you are willing to spend more you can get more. For hard-button remotes, the MX-500 is close enough to perfect for me.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Mike,
The Radio Shack remotes are labeled just fine. No problems there.
I went to the url you furnished and looked at a closeup of the 15-1994 RS.
It appears to me that I'd have the same labeling problem with it that I do with my Onkyo remote.
What I envision is ONE remote that I can use to replace all the other ones, plus run macros from it. I see no way (short of having a photographic memory) to remember which buttons I label for audio only, action, return, skip fwd/bkwd, etc. And that's just for some DVD functions. Not to mention AVR and TV functions.
How do you keep up with what you've mapped to the RS remote? Am I missing some important pieces of the puzzle here? I can't see how the RS is any improvement over my Onkyo remote.
h580txds989MT.jpeg

------------------
--RR

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I understand that some people prefer Hard Buttons and lots
of them, but to put it simply. If you want total control of
every single piece of gear in your home theater setup and you
want to be able to control ALL of the advanced controls that
most of the components offer then you simply MUST have a LCD
Touch Screen Remote that allows custom drawn and labeled buttons.
There is no If And of But, To do all of the advanced features
using a hard button remote you would need a cheat sheet to
remember what blank or misslabled buttons do what. And for
me that is no good. Yes I can remember the buttons but my
Dad can not and it's not fair to him to NOT be able to use
my HT Gear, as he enjoys it as much as I do but it's far
too complicated for him. And for that very reason I went with
a UCommand 515 Touch Screen but I soon outgrew even it's
capeablilities and now I am stepping up to the most powerful
remote on the planet and that is the Pronto. Yes the Pronto
and Pronto Pro are complicated, yes Pronto Edit is non user
friendly, Yes you have to be a PC Geek to figure it all out
and this is what makes it Limitless and all Powerful!
The ability to make buttons like "Push here stupid to watch
a movie" are simply not available on any other remote on the
market (with exception to all the Pronto Clones from Marantz
and Denon and now Onkyo)
E-O-S! :)
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Neil, I see you answered my question just as I posted!
Alrighty now, then how about the next step up? Is the MX-1000 a viable option? Or not worth the extra dough? I see you can input advanced codes to the MX-1000.
Do you find the MX-500 5 character labels limiting? (more to the point, does your SO find the MX-500 easy to use?)
Thanks for your thoughts.
Brett, your reference to Onkyo must be about the optional chad for the 898?
Any of you folks like me? Overbuy on some things and find you don't need it all.. then underbuy on others and find you need more?
wink.gif

------------------
--RR
[Edited last by Rick Radford on November 12, 2001 at 09:57 PM]

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Brett: I understand your enthuiasm for the Pronto, but I have to disagree that only the Pronto or it's clones can do the items you describe.
Both of the last 2 hard button remotes I have used in my main HT (a Marantz RC-2000 MkII and a Home Theater Master MX-500) control 100% of the functions in my system and would also fully support any macro I may have wanted.
I agree that the Pronto's looks are better (with all of the graphics), but the looks aren't what counts for me. I want quick and easy functionality beyond one-size-fits-all macros. I haven't seen a touchscreen yet that gives it to me without constantly looking at it or scrolling thru page after page.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree... :)
------------------

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I would recommend the Home Theater Master MX-500 also. It is a GREAT remote for a reasonable price! There is not one thing that I need in a remote that this sucker doesn't do!
Good luck!
Pete
[Edited last by Pete Jennings on November 13, 2001 at 06:08 AM]

GregH

Agent
I'll put my vote in for a Pronto, but it's hardly the king of remotes maybe it can be mayor of Remoteville. An AMX (or Crestron) system completely mops the floor with it. The one I use is a little antiquated, but it's got an 8-inch color LCD and can control RS-232 devices. Not to mention it actually allows for conditional logic which makes controlling a Toshiba television seamless. Though you could use the IO ports to detect actual power states... Anyone who walks into the room can control our needlessly complex system, in fact they even look for opportunities to show how easily they can work it themselves.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Plus, I don't believe I have volume punch thru either.
The RS remotes can't punch volume through to the receiver but you can use key moves so that your receiver's volume can be controlled from all device modes....this is what I've done and it works fine.
Hope this helps.

ClintonM

Auditioning
Just thought I'd chime in a little late here.
I've had the MX-500 for a while now and it met all of needs except for one. X-10. I bought the last Radio Shack 15-1994 in my area so that I could "teach" my MX-500 X-10 commands to various buttons. So now I have my MX-500 controlling all of my equipment and all of my lights (I have a macro set up to switch to DVD and turn down the lights). With the programming done I use the 15-1994 in the bedroom (love the back lighting).
This might be helpful as I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but the 15-1994 has a jumper (JP1) in the battery compartment that can be interfaced with a PC so that advanced programing is possible. That advanced programming can then be taught to the MX-500. Although I haven't had to use it the JP1 feature yet it is nice to know that it's there. More info can be found here. JP1 Interface Page

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
Man it is funny you guys who are hailing the MX-500 and in the same post saying how you have to use the Radio Shack 15-1994 to get it to do some of your commands by learning from the RS! Ha! Ha! Not a knock on the MX-500 I just think it is funny. Remember with the RS we are talking about a $40 remote, usually can be had for $30 on sale.
As far as button labeling, so what the Aux1 and Aux2 is a problem? Aux1 is my receiver and Aux2 is my DVD player, is that really so hard? I think I have to remember like 2 more keys on the remote. The rest are labeled just fine. I'm not sure what you guys are looking for in labeling. (?) I control a large array of equipment with this remote with no problem. If I was going to spend more on a remote than the
RS, I would go with a Pronto. But that is just my opinion. YMMV
Later. :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chuck,
I think you missunderstand what I say, The MKII and HTM
are both powerful remotes functionality wise, But you can
not custom label a hard button with anything short of a
silk screen printing press, That's where the Pronto wins
hands down. You know what ever button does because you
made that button. If your Receiver has a button that says
"End Of World Device" you can duplicate that on the Pronto
with 100% accuracy. Capiche? The custom label feature is
what makes the Pronto my choice because I simply can not
have a remote who's buttons are not clearly marked because
my father couldn't use the system and that poses a problem
since he loves to listen to music as much as I do, and watch
movies etc. Yep I agree to disagree and I will say that
both the remotes you mentioned are very powerful.
Greg,
Yeah generaly speaking I would say an AMX or Creston system
which can cost more than my house depending on options would
be more powerful than the Pronto.. But is either a remote
that physicly fits into your hands? For mainstream hand held
remote devices I'd have to say the Pronto is up there...
:)
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I think I'd be totally frustrated with the RS by itself since I'd have no clue what buttons I'd mapped from 4 remotes... except for the obvious ones.
OTOH, I'd be unhappy about having to get the RS just so I can program the HTM-500 too.
I guess the perfect, reasonably priced remote for ME is yet to be developed.
I have a Hitachi TV and from what I read on the remotecentral HTM forum, I need some specific codes to make the TV choose the correct input. Is this what the RS remote would provide? (and why THAT is, I have no clue).
Sorry about the receiver image on a preceding msg. I tried to import only the remote, but the pic I tagged brought the whole thing along.
------------------
--RR

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I'll cast my vote for the Pronto (I own it's twin, Marantz RC5000i). I can see if you make complex pages that you will have to scroll page after page just to get to one function. I programmed mine so that each button I use is no more than 2 punches away (which is even better than the Marantz RC2000, which I also have).
Simply, the Pronto can actually be programmed for easier use. It just takes time, and a knowledge of what you want and don't want so that you can develop a proper program.
Brett B.

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Just to piggyback on what Brett said, scrolling through pages is bad. It's awful slow by comparison. Programming buttons to "jump" to a new page is much faster. It does however require a lot of fore-thought in setting up your program.
Jim L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks