Not so flexi-rack

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill_Weinreich, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Months ago I started this project. Had a week off so I finally finished:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Original plan was to use real marble for the shelves. Glad I didnt, this thing weighs a ton as it is! 3/4" MDF, 2" solid aluminum posts, its plenty sturdy. Getting ready to transfer my equipment now.
    Bill

2. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

That looks awesome. Care to share the details on the posts and paint job?

Rob

3. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Love to Rob.
    I purchased the 2" aluminum rod from Midland Xpress . I had the cut it to the lengths I needed. In hindsight I would have purchased full lengths and cut myself with a chop saw. I then drilled a 7/16 hole into the center of each rod (both ends) and tapped them with a 1/2x13 bottoming tap. I cut 20 pieces of 2 1/2" long allthread (1/2x13) to join the aluminum through the MDF. The surface area of the aluminum gives the rack a remarkable sturdiness. Before installing them, I used sandpaper to give the rods a brushed look.
    As far as the shelves, I went back and forth on this one. I really wanted real marble but weight and costs were a concern (One place wanted as much as $1600 for the 6 pieces). So I went with the faux finish. After cutting the MDF and chamferring the edges, I drilled the holes for the allthread. I finished sanded all the edges with 120 grit on an orbital sander. I bought a faux marble kit from AC Moore for about $15. (had to by extra paint because kit only does about 12 sq ft) The painting went fairly well with the instructions of the kit. 2 coats base color, then used a gloss acrylic sealer. Applied the marbling colors with a sponge, sealed again. Used a feather to brush in the veining and finished coated with two coats of spray polyurethane.
    Some thing I would have changed if I were to do this again:
    I would use the spray acrylic for the base coats. Even with a good brush, the strokes were still visible (sanding between coats helped a little).
    I may have tried a polyurethane between steps for a deeper look but not sure how that would have turned out.
    It was a fun project and should have only taken me a few days but I'm a bit of a procrastinator [​IMG] .
    Bill

4. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I'm going to build something into a wall in the new place so I might borrow some of those ideas. I may go w/ glass shelves but the MDF seems more wallet friendly.

I've got a really nice sprayer so brush marks shouldn't be a problem. Next time try thinning the paint a bit or adding Floetrol (sp) so the brush marks will smooth out on their own. But I'm sure they hardly show especially w/ equipment on them.

Rob

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Good job, Bill! Very good idea to use the aluminum rod - IMO it looks much better than all-thread. Very classy look.