What's new

Not buying DVDs because you don't have a Display Device? (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Hi Everyone,

Ever since the day that "Lord Of The Rings - Fellowship Of The Rings Extended Edition" came out as well as the "T2 - Extreme Edition" DVD, I've been wanting to buy them. But, I actually held myself back from buying them JUST because I didn't have a Widescreen HDTV to view them on. Have any of you ever done that? Not buy a favourite film of yours, just because you know you won't enjoy it on your tiny, tiny, TINY TV screen?

Well, I must say that yesterday, I fixed the "problem"....That's right, I went out and bought the Mits 65" Widescreen HDTV *YAY FOR ME!!!* but now, I can't afford the DVDs I wanted to watch on it :frowning:

The TV is not here in my house yet, they are going to deliver it on Tuesday....I absolutely can't wait!!!!

After I placed the order at Best Buy for the TV, I came home and read the reviews on it, and found out that SVM can not be disabled unless you go into the service menu. :frowning: If anyone knows the code to get into the service menu, i'd greatly appreciate it. I very well know the damage that one can do to a TV in Service Menu mode...and I don't want to change anything besides the SVM.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hi Mitch,

"No" to your first question. I find I can enjoy movies just fine for now on my 27" Panasonic 4:3. I find that the massive digital sound can make up for smallness of visuals. That said, hopefully I'll be able to get a WS TV in the not too distant future. :D

Your question about service menu codes might have a better shot at being answered if you post in the Hardware section (search first!). ;)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Lol actually ive been thinking of getting a projector and was gonna hold off on T2 extreme and a few others until i got one. But i said what the hell and watched them this morning

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Don't let the size of your screen stop you.

I bought Lawrence of Arabia and 2001: A Space Odyssey on DVD when I still had a 20" monitor. :)

I'm glad I saw a lot of widescreen epics on my puny screen first. When I got my old man's 36", movies were even more of a shock to me.

greg_t

Screenwriter
No, I started out buying widescreen dvd's and watched them on a 19" TV. I didn't have much of a choice because this was back when 95% of dvd's were widescreen, back before dvd became such a mainstream format and the studios gave in to the "black bar haters" crowd. Even with a 19" TV, once I saw the difference widescreen made, I wouldn't touch a full screen dvd anyway.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I agree with Pat. I couldn't care less about screensize or quality. In the end it is the film that I want, which is why I buy DVDs no matter how crappy they may be.

However, don't get me wrong, I love my Wide TV, and these superbit dvds, and DTS. But even without them, I'd still watch movies.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I enjoyed widescreen presentations for a long time on my old 27" Wega...but I promised myself that I would buy a widescreen TV before AOTC and FOTR EE came out last year.

...and buy one, I did! Obviously it's the quality of the film that makes watching it pleasing...but having a great presentation definitely helps.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
A great display enhances the film and a great film enhances the display, so I fall in the camp that says no way would I skip buying a film because of my equipment.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I first started collecting DVDs when I was watching them on a 15" computer monitor and I never had a problem with it. Ok, the chair I was sitting in felt uncomfortable, but other than that I was fine.

Of course, now that I have a Mits 55" HDTV, it is pretty tough to go back and watch them on a regular TV. Not just because of the loss in video quality, but also because I hate missing out on the surround sound.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
My first "DVD player" was a DVD-ROM drive, at least the monitor was 17" and not 15. When I got a dedicated player, my TV was only 21". Today I have a 29" TV, perhaps in a year or two, price-drops willing, I'll get a 42" plasma.

But to answer the question, no, it never stopped me. The material's the thing, doesn't matter how small the screen is.

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
A couple of years ago my wife refused to let me get a DVD player, until we got a bigger TV (we had a 20" set at the time).

While it's no widescreen, the 32" Wega I bought does a great job. It will definitely hold me over until HDTV becomes more widespread.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Im assuming you have the A65. Correct?
Yes, that's correct, Tommy.

My old TV didn't used to bother me, but for about two months, I haven't been enjoying movies like the way that I once used too.

For about 10+ years, I've always had a 27" TV. Many different brands, but always 27". I've never had a bigger one. For the past year and a half, I upgraded to a Sony Wega 27" and that was good for a year, but now it really bothers me.

What really, REALLY bothers me, is how many movies now-a-days are not getting close-ups of the actors anymore. They film these widescreen movies but they're so far away from the actors, so that you can see all of the beautiful scenery of the location, that it becomes REALLY difficult to see the actors on a small TV. Especially if you're sitting far away from the TV. I've been sitting 9 feet away from my 27" and I have really bad eye-sight. I've worn glasses since I was 6 years old!

I think it's time that I upgraded to a much bigger TV, so I can finally start to enjoy movies again.

Don't get me wrong, I've always bought DVDs. My collection is just a tiny bit over 400 DVDs, but recently with all these "Remastered" & "Superbit" versions, I have found that I can't really see the difference on such a small display, therefore I stopped buying them, but now that I have a huge TV, I can finally start buying DVDs again.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I've held off buying HOW THE WEST WAS WON until I have a home theater like John Harvey's in Dayton, Ohio.

He is the gentleman who set up a Cinerama installation in his living room!

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I've found myself enjoying The Lord of the Rings in all its widescreen glory (among other 2.35 films) on my 13" Sylvania television as I ever have anywhere else.

Terry St

Second Unit
Well, I must say that yesterday, I fixed the "problem"....That's right, I went out and bought the Mits 65" Widescreen HDTV *YAY FOR ME!!!* but now, I can't afford the DVDs I wanted to watch on it
Yowza! That probably made a huge dent in the smoldering heap you formerly called a pocket book! If your theater is in a room where you can control the light you might want to briefly consider canceling your order and going for a projector instead. For less money you could probably get a larger image of quite possibly better quality. Then you could apply the difference to DVD's. :D Light is the enemy of course. The RPTV may well be the way to go if the room has windows with those little pink frilly-edged "privacy" curtains that are virtually transparent or, worse yet, habitually present photophilic inhabitants other than yourself.

Mrs. T says: "I pity da fool who messes with my taupe gossamer venetians!"

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The RPTV may well be the way to go if the room has windows with those little pink frilly-edged "privacy" curtains
:laugh: I've always wanted to replace the curtains in my living room. I live in my grandmothers old "Mother-inLaw" apartment and she had these pink/salmon curtains up, but they are the OLD kind that have that THICK material, so when I close them - it's PITCH BLACK :emoji_thumbsup: Unfortunately I don't have the wall space for a FPTV, so I stuck with the RPTV.

Back on topic:
Not buying DVD's because of a small screen is insane. It's not like they don't work on small tv's. And they only IMPROVE when going larger in size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks