Not buying DVDs because you don't have a Display Device?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mitch Stevens, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Hi Everyone,

Ever since the day that "Lord Of The Rings - Fellowship Of The Rings Extended Edition" came out as well as the "T2 - Extreme Edition" DVD, I've been wanting to buy them. But, I actually held myself back from buying them JUST because I didn't have a Widescreen HDTV to view them on. Have any of you ever done that? Not buy a favourite film of yours, just because you know you won't enjoy it on your tiny, tiny, TINY TV screen?

Well, I must say that yesterday, I fixed the "problem"....That's right, I went out and bought the Mits 65" Widescreen HDTV *YAY FOR ME!!!* but now, I can't afford the DVDs I wanted to watch on it [​IMG]

The TV is not here in my house yet, they are going to deliver it on Tuesday....I absolutely can't wait!!!!

After I placed the order at Best Buy for the TV, I came home and read the reviews on it, and found out that SVM can not be disabled unless you go into the service menu. [​IMG] If anyone knows the code to get into the service menu, i'd greatly appreciate it. I very well know the damage that one can do to a TV in Service Menu mode...and I don't want to change anything besides the SVM.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Hi Mitch,

"No" to your first question. I find I can enjoy movies just fine for now on my 27" Panasonic 4:3. I find that the massive digital sound can make up for smallness of visuals. That said, hopefully I'll be able to get a WS TV in the not too distant future. [​IMG]

Your question about service menu codes might have a better shot at being answered if you post in the Hardware section (search first!). [​IMG]

3. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Lol actually ive been thinking of getting a projector and was gonna hold off on T2 extreme and a few others until i got one. But i said what the hell and watched them this morning

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Don't let the size of your screen stop you.

I bought Lawrence of Arabia and 2001: A Space Odyssey on DVD when I still had a 20" monitor. [​IMG]

I'm glad I saw a lot of widescreen epics on my puny screen first. When I got my old man's 36", movies were even more of a shock to me.

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

No, I started out buying widescreen dvd's and watched them on a 19" TV. I didn't have much of a choice because this was back when 95% of dvd's were widescreen, back before dvd became such a mainstream format and the studios gave in to the "black bar haters" crowd. Even with a 19" TV, once I saw the difference widescreen made, I wouldn't touch a full screen dvd anyway.

6. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I agree with Pat. I couldn't care less about screensize or quality. In the end it is the film that I want, which is why I buy DVDs no matter how crappy they may be.

However, don't get me wrong, I love my Wide TV, and these superbit dvds, and DTS. But even without them, I'd still watch movies.

7. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Have to disagree - I can enjoy a 2.35:1 film on my 20" RCA without any trouble at all.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I enjoyed widescreen presentations for a long time on my old 27" Wega...but I promised myself that I would buy a widescreen TV before AOTC and FOTR EE came out last year.

...and buy one, I did! Obviously it's the quality of the film that makes watching it pleasing...but having a great presentation definitely helps.

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

A great display enhances the film and a great film enhances the display, so I fall in the camp that says no way would I skip buying a film because of my equipment.

10. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

I first started collecting DVDs when I was watching them on a 15" computer monitor and I never had a problem with it. Ok, the chair I was sitting in felt uncomfortable, but other than that I was fine.

Of course, now that I have a Mits 55" HDTV, it is pretty tough to go back and watch them on a regular TV. Not just because of the loss in video quality, but also because I hate missing out on the surround sound.

11. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    My first "DVD player" was a DVD-ROM drive, at least the monitor was 17" and not 15. When I got a dedicated player, my TV was only 21". Today I have a 29" TV, perhaps in a year or two, price-drops willing, I'll get a 42" plasma.

But to answer the question, no, it never stopped me. The material's the thing, doesn't matter how small the screen is.

12. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

Im assuming you have the A65. Correct?

13. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

A couple of years ago my wife refused to let me get a DVD player, until we got a bigger TV (we had a 20" set at the time).

While it's no widescreen, the 32" Wega I bought does a great job. It will definitely hold me over until HDTV becomes more widespread.

14. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

15. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I've held off buying HOW THE WEST WAS WON until I have a home theater like John Harvey's in Dayton, Ohio.

He is the gentleman who set up a Cinerama installation in his living room!

16. JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore Stunt Coordinator

I've found myself enjoying The Lord of the Rings in all its widescreen glory (among other 2.35 films) on my 13" Sylvania television as I ever have anywhere else.

17. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

18. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer