What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

North Shore : mini-review (1 Viewer)

Brian-W

Screenwriter
One of my all time favorite movies I've been pining over for since the inception of DVD. Actually, I'd hoped it was released on laserdisc and in widescreen. After a couple of years, a Japanese version on LD popped up and I snapped it up (for $90 no less). Alas, it wasn't in widescreen, and looked slightly better than the VHS version.
Now we have the DVD release and it's pretty damn good.
Video
When the movie first opens, I nearly had a heart attack. Not at the picture quality, but during the opening credits the movie was framed in a "15:9" ratio with vertical black bars on the left and right of the picture. I freaked, and in checking the box, saw that it was listed as 1:85:1, but certainly wasn't showing up this way. Once the intro credits were finished and the movie actually began, the freaky ratio was gone and the movie then appeared in 1:85:1.
Picture quality in the first 1/3 of the movie is average. The picture is soft looking, and in some cases looks blurry. Additionally, it's also kind of dark. Did I mention film grain? This is readily apparent throughout the movie.
Once our hero Rick Kane starts his surfing adventures, the picture not only brightens up, but the picture begins to render a very sharp image. In fact, other than the beginning of the movie, the picture (some surfing scenes being an exception) remains sharp and bright until the end of the movie.
The surfing scenes, primarily when the camera is on a surfboard or in the water, are very grainy. The film grain doesn't help compression artifacts, because they are definitely present during these scenes. It's not bad nor detracting, but definitely there.
I noticed no edge enhancement (might be there, but certainly not objectionable).
I'd have to give the first part of the movie (until Rick begins surfing in Hawaii) a 2 for picture quality, with quite a few beach scenes reaching a 5, but the movie as a whole averaging 3.5 in terms of picture quality.
Audio
The audio is 2-channel Dolby Digital, and I found it rather lacking. The soundtrack should have been pumping, not to mention the waves breaking, but I found the bass severely lacking. The audio while not bad, felt collapsed with no real surround imaging. The surrounds got very little use in my opinion, and the bass (lack thereof) was disappointing.
I found the PCM track on the LD much deeper and cleaner, but who knows where the audio was sourced from for this release.
Extras
The extras are actually kind of cool, and I'm glad it got some attention.
There are deleted scenes (3 of them) that are played in order. Of the three deleted scenes, only one is what I refer to as a deleted scene. The other two are extended scenes that appeared in the movie.
Deleted Scene 1
The first scene has Rick telling his mom about Lance Burkhart making $100k, and her disbelief. After they pack up the car, he runs back in to get his drawing tools which are later stolen

Deleted Scene 2
This scene wasn't in the movie at all, but has Rick tasting food that Chandlers wife Anela is making. She sees the beat up clothes he has on, and tells him he can't go into town to see Kiani dressed like that. She offers him some of Chandlers clothes
There is also an alternate ending that I am really glad they abandoned the idea for. Not only was it a lame way to end the movie, and kind of a down and cold note, but just didn't fit. Ironically, this scene features the original Kiani cast for the movie (she was fired early in the production of the movie). When you see it, I think you'll agree it was a smart move getting Nia Peebles in.
Lastly, the disc has cast interviews with all the primary players (Matt Adler, Greggory Harrison, Laird Hamilton, Nia Peebles, William Phelps, and Turtle of course!) that were filmed just recently. The interviews are short, but well done and definitely give some behind the scenes making of for the movie.
At $15 (what I paid), I love this movie. The soundtrack, the imagery, and the surfing are just fantastic.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
This is also one of my 80's faves and I was floored at all of the extras done for this title. I rec'd it on Sat but haven't had a chance to watch it yet (trying to get the wife to watch with me) but I can't wait.Glad to see other fans of this underrated gem.

derek

Second Unit
SWEET! My all time fav cult surf movie.

"I've seen bigger waves in a toliet bowl..."

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I just watched this little gem in High Def and 5.1 on the HDnetMovie channel. It was totally sweet, brah. ;) Does the DVD use the same HD transfer, I wonder?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I just watched this little gem in High Def and 5.1 on the HDnetMovie channel. It was totally sweet, brah. ;) Does the DVD use the same HD transfer, I wonder?

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
LOL

I tried to get my wife to like this movie but it is very dated now.

O well it is still a great "blast from the past" and I am glad that it got the DVD treatment because the pan/scan version on FOX that I saw last year was very very bad.

Can't wait to get this movie and relive the slang we used back in 87.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
LOL

I tried to get my wife to like this movie but it is very dated now.

O well it is still a great "blast from the past" and I am glad that it got the DVD treatment because the pan/scan version on FOX that I saw last year was very very bad.

Can't wait to get this movie and relive the slang we used back in 87.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I watched the HD version as well, although I don't recall it being 5.1

Ironically while it looks better than the DVD, it isn't leaps and bounds better. The limitations of shooting 16mm for the entire movie (wasn't shot 35mm)

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I watched the HD version as well, although I don't recall it being 5.1

Ironically while it looks better than the DVD, it isn't leaps and bounds better. The limitations of shooting 16mm for the entire movie (wasn't shot 35mm)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

Im no expert, and IMDB, doesnt specify the format, but this looked WAAAAAAY too good to be 16mm to me. Ive seen 16mm, and this certainly was not.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

Im no expert, and IMDB, doesnt specify the format, but this looked WAAAAAAY too good to be 16mm to me. Ive seen 16mm, and this certainly was not.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Ive seen 16mm, and this certainly was not.
IMDB is far from being 100% accurate.

Listen to the commentary track on the DVD, just as Rick as riding his bike home from the surf contest in the beginning of the movie, the directors make it very clear the entire movie was shot on 16mm because there was no way to take a 35mm camera into the water for the surf shots they needed. The water rigs for 35mm were either unavailable, or extremely expensive.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Ive seen 16mm, and this certainly was not.
IMDB is far from being 100% accurate.

Listen to the commentary track on the DVD, just as Rick as riding his bike home from the surf contest in the beginning of the movie, the directors make it very clear the entire movie was shot on 16mm because there was no way to take a 35mm camera into the water for the surf shots they needed. The water rigs for 35mm were either unavailable, or extremely expensive.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Never thought I'd still like this movie. PQ wasnt bad but I'm sure its Super 16, being a step up but I sure wish it looked a little better and not a little beat. The titles were window boxed for the animation. Also the audio could have been opened up more. Great tunes.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Never thought I'd still like this movie. PQ wasnt bad but I'm sure its Super 16, being a step up but I sure wish it looked a little better and not a little beat. The titles were window boxed for the animation. Also the audio could have been opened up more. Great tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks