What's new

Noise considerations for people downstairs (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I'm moving into a new flat next month ('apartment' for you lot) and I'm a bit concerned over the amount of noise I'm going to be creating for the people who live underneath (there's nobody above).

The building is of brick construction and the floors are solid concrete. Current speakers are Kef Q65 (front), Q55 (rear) and 200C (centre). All of these (except the centre) are floorstanders. Sub is a Boston VR2000.

Where I am now there are wooden floors and a lot of the bass comes through to underneath. I'm not sure how much difference having concrete floors will make, but even so, I'd like to minimise problems. I have no problem with buying newer (smaller) speakers.

Not really sure what the point of my post is, but one thing I wanted to ask is - are floorstanding speakers more likely to create noise problems than speakers mounted on stands?

But apart from that, feel free to chime in with any relevent comments.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Humm ~ know one has an opinion...

The biggest problem will be as you mentioned BASS. Wood floor compared to concreat for a floor, will help, but will not stop the bass. Same with your brick compared to typical drywall wood constructed walls.

I am NO sond isolation expert, but you should have less of a bass pass threw problem their, (concrete & brick) than where you are now with all wood I assume.
Bass is all but impossible to stop as it penatrate just about everything. Isolating the sub from direct contact with the floor can help but can be difficult to do. Carpet padding placed on the floor with a marble slab or patio stone setting on top, then sub setting on top of stone, have heard this can help.
Still a solid coupling to the slab for the sub but a vibration sound absorber bewtween the sub and the floor.

You may also find as others have, once you set your system up, the bass impact for (YOU in the new room) maybe tougher to get. You see allot of posts dealing with people moving their system into the concrete basement rooms and the impact shake slam factor falls big-time.
====>
Hopefully others with more experience with just what your looking to deal with will chime in.
====>
I think over all you will have less of a piss off poblem with the down
stairs neighbor than you will trying to get that good shake slam movie factor in your new room.
I could be wrong, as others have posted that their was little difference when moving their systems to concrete basements, etc.

I wouldn't change anything (in your system), till you get in, set up, and see just what happens in room and down stairs.

Best of Luck
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks