What's new

No Power After Blackout- What's Wrong/How To Fix? (1 Viewer)

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
It really depends on your budget and what you want to do with it. Whenever you buy a computer, those are the 2 main things you want to clearly define first:

1. Budget
2. What you'll be using it for

I'd recommend if you're buying a computer for your mother, that you buy from a known reputable vendor (Dell, Gateway, IBM, HP, Apple, etc). That way, YOU'RE not stuck doing free tech support for her for life. Same kind of thing if you're buying this computer for a friend or relative.

If she's just doing word processing and things, she doesn't need a budget more than $350-600 or so, depending on how fast of a computer she wants.

I personally like Dell because I think it's the best bang for the buck by a good margin. I've owned computers from Dell, Gateway, IBM, Compaq, HP, Apple, Sony, Toshiba, and a loads of 2nd and 3rd tier manufacturers. I've also built loads of computers from individual components, including peltier & watercooling overclocked rigs. At this time, there's no beating Dell for performance for your dollar at the $350-1000 or so range.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's pretty strange that nothing happens when you switch it on with a new power supply: the vent of the power supply should start running anyway. Are you sure the wires from the power-in go unharmed to the switch and then to the PS? Is there a fuse in between?

Of course a nasty shortcut could also prevent the ventilator to spin, but generally a permanent shortcut isn't that likely (although not completely impossible).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks