What's new

No more late fees at Blockbuster!, could be worse (1 Viewer)

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator

WTF? I have no idea what you are talking about. Who is confused?

My problem with Netflix, besides it taking so long to actually get a DVD (compared to being able to go pick it up immediately at the store), is that the DVDs are sent to you from your list, exactly like you say. However, I may be different from a lot of people, but there are some times when I'm in the mood for a thriller, or action movie, or romantic comedy. And often this is determined by whether or not my wife will be watching a movie with me, and what she's in the mood for as well. So what I like about BB is being able to pick out anything I want, when I want - rather than having to watch whatever Netflix sends me next, even if it is on a "list" I selected.

For example, if I was using Netflix, the next DVD on my list, determined by the "order" I checked them off a week or two ago, might be The Village. But what happens if I'm in the mood for a good comedy instead, or my wife doesn't feel like watching that kind of movie and I either have to feel guilty for watching by myself and leaving her out, watch something together from my own collection, or not watch anything.

It doesn't work for me, and I have my DVD Freedom Pass to suit my needs. You have Netflix to suit your needs. That's fine. But I know how Netflix works, and you're not going to convert me by saying "it's not random - it goes from your list", which I already know. Thank you, and I hope this discussion is over.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

I realize that, and it was probably mid-December that I rented the movie, but I really don't think I returned it late and it seemed like it was awfully easy to tell a customer a movie they rented a month and a half ago was returned a day late. That was WAY too long for me to remember returning it at all. Since I usually remember when they're due by looking at the handy guide on the back of the box, I have a rough time believing it was actually late. Though there seems to be a discrepancy where some boxes are labelled 5 day and some are 1-week at mine, when they ring up as one-week regardless on the receipt.

With the "nobody returning new releases" thing going on I'm glad I'm trying the online service. I can only get to BBV in the evening when everything's gone anyway. If they're getting less titles in the stores maybe more are going to the online service. It's the older titles I can't find in BBV or Movie Gallery that I have wait times on. Even before they started the no late fee thing I noticed popular titles being out. Less of those "guaranteed in-stock" titles, if any.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Did you know that you can change the order of your Netflix list? Go to "queue" and change to your heart's content.

It takes less time to move DODGEBALL to #1 in your list, after you put a DVD in the mail, then it does to go to Blockbuster, particularly if you are seeking clarification on their late fee policy.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Re: Netflix. I find it 100000000% better than Blockbuster ever has been. Of course, I live close to one of Netflix's distribution hubs (I return a movie and have a new one in 3 days max) but still, they have far better selection and support widescreen much better than Blockbuster.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator

So the closest Blockbuster to where you live is a day and a half away (3 days round trip)? I'd be using Netflix too, then...

But you are totally wrong about how much time it takes. It's not "next day", and even if it was, that would still be more time than it takes to go exchange one.

I can drive to Blockbuster and back in much less time (less than 30 minutes, including time to browse the shelves and check the DVD out), than it takes to go online, change the order of the queue, and wait a day or two for it to come in the mail. You can't possibly argue that...

The point is, I won't know what I feel like watching until that day (or even that night), so I don't want to have to plan out my DVD schedule a week, or even 3 days, in advance.

BTW, at the two Blockbusters I have visited here in Sunnyvale/San Jose, the only non-widescreen DVDs I have seen are kids movies, and older ones at that. Everything in the stores I visit are widescreen, including stuff like Shrek 2 and Harry Potter (that are more geared towards kids). If your BB doesn't carry widescreen movies, then complain to the manager.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I occasionally go to Blockbuster and rent something if I absolutely HAVE to see it right then. Otherwise, my existing collection can fulfill pretty much any desires I might have in terms of genre, etc.

But, hey...to each his own.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator

Yup, there are a lot of people that buy instead of rent. I've seen people with 30-50+ DVDs that they haven't even opened. One guy with probably 500+ DVDs, maybe 100+ not even opened, with a 32" or 36" CRT, and wanted to email him and say, "Why don't you hold back on the DVDs for a while and get a nicer TV?". ;)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
For the first time in my life, I am unable to watch all that I buy. Just too many good sets coming out lately.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
As a new jersey resident I am ashamed of the state suing BB.

I hardly rent from blockbuster anymore, but I have no problems with their new policy. I dont think it is deceptive, obviously they have to have a way to make you return the dvds eventually. And rightfully they can advertise the new policy. But can you imagine trying to come up with a slogan to accurately detail the new policy?

I believe most of the slogans say to check your store for details. I think in this particular case they have been very fair with the new policy.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yet another stupid lawsuit.

But I run into this all the time at work. People don't read anything anymore. All the details are available for those who choose to read them. But everybody's ready to sign on the dotted line anyway. Then those who choose to remain ignorant are the ones who bitch-and-moan the loudest about how the rules shouldn't apply to them because "they didn't know." Ignorance isn't a viable defense. READ THE DAMN POLICY! :angry:

And anyone who "just assumed" that BB was doing away with late fees without some other mechanism to make up that revenue is hopelessly naive and has no business living in 21st Century America.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wait, wait my DVDs weren't free from Blockbuster. It said no late fees! Damn it, I'm calling my lawyer! :)

It's a sad day when people are too dumb (or fake being too dumb) to understand something this simple. I don't even really rent movies (unless I have a giftcard from Christmas or something) but I can understand that at some point in time I will have to return the DVD.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Well the sad part is this is not angry customers suing. Apparently the attorney general decided to take action himself saying the state is proactive in preventing fraud.

I think the a.g. is just trying to grab headlines for himself (perhaps he is interested in being governor as the democratic nomination is still up for grabs).

You would think there would be more obvious cases of fraud for him to tackle.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

You are correct, but BB has no right advertising that there are "NO MORE LATE FEES" either. You yourself admit that this is a lie in your above statement.

Anyway, I hate frivolous law suits, and this certainly fits the bill, but if it helps take down BB, then sue away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks