What's new

No more Best Buy for me... (1 Viewer)

TimDoss

Second Unit
I'm sick of this damn store... I'm tired of going in there every
tuesday only to find that they haven't ordered the movies I'm
looking for. But I figured whatever, I'll still try...
but yesterday when I went in I get bombarded with these
damn blue shirts trying to force netflix on me. I tell them
politely no thanks, don't want it... they continue to try
to talk me into it, after saying no thanks four times I'm
trying hard not to lose my patience with this little punk and
just move on when he then tries to talk me into buying a dvd writer and that way I can just rent the movie from netflix and
burn my own copy of it to save money. Real nice. Finally get rid of that one and not two minutes later there's another
kid with the damn netflix in hand walking up to me. What the hell??

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I recently decided to finally cut Best Buy off for good. I can never find what I'm looking for there. The last straw was last weekend, I wanted to pre-order Zelda and get the free disc, and they said "Oh we stopped that 2 weeks ago. We don't do pre-ordering anymore". I also hate the way they greet you when you come in and try to talk to you when you leave. I understand they're trying to be "friendly", but I'm there to shop, not chat.

It's funny how the store always seems incredibly overstaffed, except at the very moment when you need help.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
he then tries to talk me into buying a dvd writer and that way I can just rent the movie from netflix and burn my own copy of it to save money.
So Best Buy employees are advocating violating copywrite laws, pirating software and costing their own company potential future revenue? I bet BB's corporate office would not like hearing that!

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Scott raises an excellent point. I would have immediately asked to speak to the (presumeably) kid's manager.

Matt

brentl

Senior HTF Member
" I bet BB's corporate office would not like hearing that!"

From all I've read they probably WON"T care.

Brent

StephenA

Screenwriter
I guess the Best Buy near me is good compared to you guys. I can pretty much always find what I'm looking for. The employees don't bother me, they'll just ask if I need help, and if I say no, they'll go on their way. Today was the only time I couldn't find what I was looking for, due to the 2 for 25 sale. Kind of my fault for not going there earlier in the week.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Best Buy is horrific. Vote with your feet and your wallet, and just stay away.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
As a part-time Best Buy employee, I am very sorry to hear everyone’s bad experience. I have a "no means no" policy when it comes to Netflix, MSN and Service plans. I get out what it is and the price, you say no and the conversation is over. This practice is discouraged, however. Please note that not all the stores are run alike.

If you want to avoid contact with employees, you can always order and pre-order titles on the website. The site has free shipping on everything right now AND you can choose to pick it up in the store if you’d rather.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If you want to avoid contact with employees, you can always order and pre-order titles on the website. The site has free shipping on everything right now AND you can choose to pick it up in the store if you’d rather.
I'm hoping that they will some day allow preorders to be picked up in-store.

I appreciate the free shipping, but they use USPS media mail which, I think means AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE to the USPS. I had one package get to L.A. on the 3rd and SIT AT THE Post Office until the 7th, when it went out to delivery to my apt! And it wasn't a weekend, it was a Monday-Thursday thing, what the hell was it doing sitting in the PO for four days?

Anyway, currently you can pick up in-stock titles at the store, which is way cool unless you get a horrific line at CS. Speaking of which, how many blue shirts walk by and look at the CS line where only one person is working?!?! Shouldn't those people help out? There is one BB near my apt that has the cell phones dept. right next to the Customer Service line. There were like 12 people in the CS line, one worker behind the CS desk, and six blue shirts just talking amongts themselves (no customers) around the cell phone area and pretending the line didn't exist! Man I wanted to punch the manager for not making their employees go where the help was needed. And I wish I could say this only happened once or twice...but I can't.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
If I find a title that is priced right at Best Buy, I'll order it early in the morning of its release day. I've always received a confirmation email stating that my order was available for pick-up by 3 p.m. that same day.

Otherwise, I'll never go in blind with hopes of finding a title - waste of time.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
you want to avoid contact with employees, you can always order and pre-order titles on the website. The site has free shipping on everything right now AND you can choose to pick it up in the store if you’d rather.
Sure, but if you have them shipped you better hope your DVDs are in stock at the distribution center (don't count on the web site's shipping time information, it's often inaccurate). Same deal if you want to pick up, the web site is often wrong about the DVDs being in stock. If the DVDs are not in stock sometimes it takes 1 or 2 weeks (or even longer) for them to finally get them in. And you can forget about canceling your order the minute you place it--they won't let you, even if you've been waiting for weeks. And if you email them to check on it they'll tell you it's a "complicated research issue" and they'll have to get back to you...and I've got the emails to prove it. Best Buy sucks.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Well, I don't really care for best buy, but I ordered Citizen Kane and One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest 2 for $25 deal, so I can't complain about that!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
And you can forget about canceling your order the minute you place it--they won't let you, even if you've been waiting for weeks.
I was surprised to find out that their website did not have an option for cancelling an order online. I was successful in getting a pre-order cancelled by calling their toll free number, though (although it defeats my purpose for using online shopping when I have to wait on hold for a long period of time to deal with an order).

The other sites I use for online ordering -- DVD Empire and DeepDiscountDVD, allow my to manage my pre-orders online. I learned to avoid Best Buy's website for any future pre-orders.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
As a part-time Best Buy employee, I am very sorry to hear everyone’s bad experience. I have a "no means no" policy when it comes to Netflix, MSN and Service plans. I get out what it is and the price, you say no and the conversation is over. This practice is discouraged, however. Please note that not all the stores are run alike.
I am also a part-time Best Buy employee in the media (movies, music, games, software) department and I feel the same way but, unfortunately, Netflix and other attachments are how Best Buy makes money. (There has to be a more feasable business model.) I ask once and if I get a "No" then I stop. I know of employees who will lie to customers and tell them their item isn't in stock if they don't agree to get a service plan (PRP or PSP). It's disgraceful.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
The Best Buy near me isn't too bad. I've never really been pressured into Netflix or service plans. They ask, but after I say no it stops. I do hate the fact that they ask you though. I'm the type that just likes to go in, get what I want and leave without having to be told about a product that I don't want or need. But I realize it is their job and they're just trying to do it.

Brae

Supporting Actor
The Mall of Georgia location of BB told me three times they never had the Superbit version of Dracula even though a friend of mine told me he got it there. That was three wasted trips.

About a month after the last visit I'm following the wife and there it is sitting on the shelf. The are all a bunch of CF's.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well I've cut my DVD business there down drastically since discovering the joys of Columbia House. Oh I may still buy an occasional DVD there, but much less now.

TimDoss

Second Unit
I've got nothing against someone doing their job, but when I tell you no,
you've done your job now move on. I absolutely cannot stand
people who won't take no for an answer. I get enough
pop up ads on the internet I don't need them walking into
a store.
The part that really threw me was the whole selling angle
of burning my own DVD's from the rented ones.

I'm not the most patient man... I do my best, but this idiot
almost got their last copy of Below shoved down his throat.

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
if they ask you if you want netflix, just lie and say you already have it. The only time i had someone bug me was when I picked up Aramgeddon for a friends gift and it was when they were pushing some Pearl Harbor deal. So the guy was like "hey you should get the two pack is only 5 bucks more" When i said no he's like "Awww, why? What do have against Pearl Harbor" The fact that i thought it was a fluffy piece o crap and I don't want it...he left me alone after that.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
don't count on the web site's shipping time information, it's often inaccurate
What's UP with that??? I placed an order for an "in stock" cd on 2/25. Received a shipping notice on the 2/27 and I am STILL waiting. This is the 3rd time this has happened to me in the past 4 orders with BB. Shame on me!!!

What's REALLY crazy is that I've been finding that the Circuit City stores in my area have been subtly surprising me lately.

We all know that their first week DVD prices have been as good as, if not better than BB. But, I've actually bought 2 high dollar electronic items with little or no pressure to buy the service contract. I had to go to CC in one instance because BB didn't have the camera in stock.

C

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks