What's new

Nirvana's "Sliver: the Best of the Box" Nov. 1 (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
"Sep 23, 2005 09:00

Nirvana's ''Sliver: the Best of the Box'' Highlights the Most Significant Recordings from 2004's Record-Breaking Boxset with the Lights out Plus Three Previously Unreleased Tracks

LOS ANGELES --(Business Wire)-- Sept. 23, 2005 Nirvana changed the course of popular music forever and remains an inspiration to those who have followed. The band's musical legacy was illuminated further in November 2004 by the release of the 3-CD/1-DVD box set "With The Lights Out" (Geffen/UMe), the definitive collection of Nirvana rarities and outtakes. "With The Lights Out" set sales records across the globe and garnered unanimous critical praise.
Now the single-CD "SLIVER: Best Of The Box" (Geffen/UMe), released November 1, 2005, offers fans audio highlights from "With The Lights Out" with the bonus inclusion of three unreleased tracks.

"SLIVER: The Best Of The Box" features 22 recordings, 18 of which made their debut on "With The Lights Out" and three of which make their debut here: -0-

1. (a)Spank Thru - from 1985's "Fecal Matter" demo tape featuring
Kurt Cobain on guitar and vocals with Dale Crover (of The
Melvins) on bass and drums.

2. Heartbreaker - Led Zeppelin cover recorded live at Nirvana's
first performance (at a 1987 house party)

3. Mrs. Butterworth - undated rehearsal demo

4. Floyd The Barber - 1988 live recording

5. Clean Up Before She Comes - undated home demo

6. About A Girl - undated home demo

7. Blandest - 1988 studio recording

8. Ain't It A Shame - Leadbelly cover recorded in 1989 and
featuring Mark Pickerel (of Screaming Trees) on drums.

9. (a)Sappy - 1990 studio recording

10. Opinion - 1990 solo acoustic radio performance

11. Lithium - 1990 solo acoustic radio performance

12. Sliver - undated home demo

13. Smells Like Teen Spirit - 1991 pre-Nevermind rehearsal
recording

14. (a)Come As You Are - 1991 pre-Nevermind rehearsal recording

15. Old Age - 1991 Nevermind outtake

16. Oh The Guilt - from 1992 Touch and Go split-single with The
Jesus Lizard

17. Rape Me - 1992 acoustic home demo

18. Rape Me - 1992 electric studio recording

19. Heart Shaped Box - 1993 Rio de Janeiro studio recording

20. Do Re Mi - 1994 home demo

21. You Know You're Right - 1994 home demo

22. All Apologies - 1994 home demo

(a) Please note that tracks 1, 9, and 14 are previously unreleased.
"

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
So just the classic "screw the fans, here is a release with mostly old stuff but with a small amount of new material you will want on it" then.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

cd's like this and Bruce's 18 Tracks make you question why downloading is wrong in the first place.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I hear what you are saying. The record cos. instead of reissuing stuff with mostly repetitive things could sell only the bonus tracks as an EP/Single for far less than a CD, make money and piss off less people but I'm sure it is easier to blame it on someone else.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I still don't have the box so I'll probably buy this so I can get the new songs and I love "Clean Up Before She Comes" so that'll be nice to have before I splurge for the box.

I can definitely understand why people are angry though.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Freaking pigs.

I guess With the Lights Out wasn't so definitive after all.

Sorry, I'll pass on the new one. The box set is enough for me.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'll pass on this too, and I'm angry mad as hell!:angry:

...and why not give us another Nirvana release that people want. Where are all of the videos, the Unplugged DVD, Live Tonight - Sold Out on DVD??? There is a lot of other Nirvana material that is sitting in the vaults and they want to choke us with this shite, well I won't bite.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'll just buy the bonus tracks off of I-Tunes and if they turn out to be "must haves" I'll pick up a used copy of the CD.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator

Take the good with the bad. Courtney's squandered all of Kurt's money, and before she gives up the goat and releases all the real vault goodies, she's going to pull a few tricks.

Buy into it or don't. Amongst hardcore Nirvana fans like myself and my girlfriend, it's old hat.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Really? I didn't read one praising review, of hear anything about it setting sales records. Most of what I heard about this was that the spoon was scrapping the barrel on the choosing of these selections. I don't know one person who bought it.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
There's lots that have yet to be released, the box was FAR from definitive. Granted, most are alternate or demo recordings of songs already released or Kurt Cobain acoustic stuff, but there far from running out of material.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

They showed a kid in a Darth Vader costume holding a green lightsaber. You just don't do that. That shit ain't right.

(For the record, I'm a Nirvana fan, despite the threadcrap. Just giving real-life pal Jeremy a little grief, that's all.)

(Not enough of a fan to buy into this crap, though. I guess I'll have to have "someone" burn me a copy of the "newly-discovered" tracks. . .) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks