What's new

NFL 2K3 Tips and Tricks (or, how to beat Dean) (1 Viewer)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
J/K, Dean. :)
Hey, all. I noticed we have three or four different threads discussing aspects of NFL 2K3. Several of them have posts with tips and suggestions for becoming more successful at this (admittedly difficult) game. Since we have the HTFFL gearing up in a few months, I thought it would be useful, especially for new people like myself, to consolidate the hints and tricks to one thread. I have gone through all the 2K3 posts and pulled out every useful suggestion I could find. Please feel free to either ask for additional help or to continue to post strategies or plays that you think other people would benefit from.
Please note, I have given credit after each suggestion (or set of suggestions if more than one was given in a post). However, if anyone feels uncomfortable having their words re-posted in this thread, please feel free to notify me and I'll remove your tip. And now, without further ado...
You can complete a pass, you MUST read the coverage, use pump fakes, and use smart play calling. Don't always throw on 3rd down and 6. Don't always run on first down. Rick Gregorio
On passing you have to throw to where they are going to be, the best way to do this is to use maximum passing. If your reciever is running an out to the right of the field then press right as your throw it. You can't just let him finish his route then stand there and expect him to catch it without the defender picking up on it.
For ps2 owners(im not sure about the other systems menus) go to camera options and turn pass zoom on. This makes the camera zoom out so you can see all of your recievers. Definitely helps.
Don't forget about your tight end. He can catch passes to.
Be smart, if your receiver is being double covered don't throw it to him and expect it to be a completion.
On run plays you have to follow your blockers, mainly your full back. I usually start out slow in the back field and build up my turbo arrow(correct term?) and once I see the hole develop I use a turbo move of some kind through. Then just try and go from there. Brett Hancock
You really have to pick your spots and read defenses in this game. If I overload the right side with receivers and run a weak side sweep, I can tell by the defensive formation whether Henry will get positive yardage before the ball is even snapped. Usually to break the big run, you have to have the right defense lined up, but you also have to get proficient with the jukes and stiff arms. Usually you have to make that first linebacker miss to get into the secondary. From there, it's gravy. Evan S
Hitting TRIANGLE (PS2) ( my note, this would be “Y” on the Xbox) when the ball reaches you helps catching. Charge up your X button (“A” on Xbox) before laying on the hit. Again, in the manual. Doing so you will see far less broken tackles. Doug R
On defense its really quite easy to stop the run. Call a run defense play and then watch the tackles. If they are in a 2 point stance(hands on their knees) its most likely a pass, audible to pass coverage, if they are in a 3 point stance(one hand on the ground) they're probably running it. Play actions and other plays do fake this so be careful with it and don't over commit. Mike Pattee
I've learned I can get the most yards by running to the weak side on most plays, and up the gut in Quad formation. Timing is the key for juking and breaking tackles Mike__D
(Q: How do I avoid having my opponent see the plays I am calling?) A: What you do is go to the play you want, select it by pushing A(xbox) or X(ps2), hold down the button and keep looking through plays. You can even change formations and pages of plays. once you release the button it will select the play. Mike Pattee

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
...continued
Hot Routes.....do any of you know about these? From what I've seen and read, niether of the game manuals do a real good job of explaining these (not to mention most of the advanced game play elements). Basically you can change the route of any of your WRs once you reach the line of scrimmage. Say you have a WR on a fly route and the D is in zone. Audible his route to an out,slant, or a hitch for a more likely completion. You can also force your RB, TE or even WR to block instead of running their designated pass route on any pass play.
On any play once you reach the line of scrimmage you can flip the play which I dont believe has been in previous versions of the 2k series. While choosing a play you can change what your audibles are on the fly instead of pausing, going to options and so forth.
On defense you can make players move farther away from, and closer to the LOS by selecting that player and moving in one of four directions on the right analog stick. You can also make any player blitz by selecting him and clicking on the right stick. As far as I know you cant change your DBs and LBs from say a zone coverage to man or bump coverage but I havent really looked into it.
If you look at the names of the pass plays, some of them have a number by them. I believe they are 90 and 50. If I remember what I read correctly, 90 pass plays are quick plays involving a 3 step drop and 50 pass plays require a little longer to develop and the QB should take a 5-7 step drop. When Ive consciously been aware of what play I was picking and trying to go with the timing of the play, Ive been seemingly more successful at completing passes than when I just try to read the D and guess who will likely be open. Joe RZ
If you are throwing a lot of picks, this means you are forcing the ball to much. Look for the open guy. If all else fails, dump it off to the RB. In 2K2 I used to run out of the pocket a lot when I passed. I found in this game you need to sit in the pocket. If you pay attention to the O-line, the game now forms a more realistic pocket to sit in.
Another thing, if you see that the D is bringing a lot of guys on a blitz, audible to a pass play if you are not in one already and run a hot route for one of your WRs. Or select a screen hot route for your RB and back pedal with your QB after snapping the ball. When the D penetrates your O-line and gets within a couple steps of your QB, loft a pass to your RB for a big gain. Because if they bring in more than one LB on a blitz, your RB will be free to make a nice gain. Dean DeMass
Before the snap, if you hold down the A button (on both offense and defense) it will increase your special move ability on offense (better jukes, better ability to stiff arm and shed tacklers) and also on defense it will give you more force on the tackle and help prevent Dillon from getting all those YAC's (Yards after contact). Evan S
(response to above) Don't do that before the snap, as it will cause your guy to go offsides every time. Holding down the A button when the ball is in play causes your player's energy meter in his indicator to charge up. Once it's charged, moves like jukes, spins, stiff-arms and tackles will be more effective, or you can release it for a speed burst (w/o the ball) or to attempt to plow over defenders (w/ the ball). Andrew_Sch
(reponse to response) Actually this doesn't cause you to go offsides. you can hold down A before the ball is hiked and you'll just sit there. But when the ball is snapped you pull down or whatever and then immediately do a left trigger and B for instance to spin around the defender. Mike Pattee
To call a fair catch, make sure the return man is highlighted and press "Y" on the X-Box version or "triangle" on the PS2 version. Dean DeMass
Also, when passing - a tap on the button throws a lob, and holding it down fires more of a bullet. You also may want to experiment with Maximum passing, where you can lead your receiver. Chris Rock
[end for now]
Hope these hints help you improve your games, and good luck to all HTFFL'ers!

BorisM

Stunt Coordinator
Nice thread. I must admit that I am still learning this game, and it is quite challenging. If someone could expand on these two topics, that would be great:

1 - Maximum passing. What is the most effective way of using this as opposed to regular passing?

2 - Turbo arrow. How do you use this? I thought that I was supposed to tap (quickly) on the turbo button to run fast, but holding it down seems to fill the arrow? What is the proper way?

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
My question--can someone describe a little more about Maximum Passing? There isn't much of an explanation given in the manual (actually, the manual is pretty sparse when it comes to gameplay elements). I know you use the analog stick to put a little "touch" on the football when passing; for instance, if a receiver is cutting to the left, you can hold left on the thumbstick to lead him. But I had a few additional questions:
*When do you do that--as your quarterback is releasing the ball? Just before? Just after?
*How much "touch" is too much? In my attempts to use it, I end up leading the receiver too much and the pass falls incomplete. Or, more often, my QB is scrambling to avoid a sack (damn weak O-line!) and when I throw the ball it is at the mercy of whichever direction I was running to when I hit the pass button.
*Does holding the analog stick forward or back control how high the ball is thrown? So for an out pattern I should hold up-and-to-the-left to throw the ball over my WR's shoulder? Or just left? Will pulling the stick back towards me result in a low pass?
I have played a few games (and lost them all) trying to experiment with Maximum Passing, and I'm just not "getting it". Can anyone offer additional insights on this feature?
edit--I see Boris is having the same problem. Glad I'm not the only one! :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Dave, my take on maximum passing.

1) Everything depends on your QB, the receiver and the coverage.

My first attempts I was doing the same thing. I was leading my receiver too far resulting in a complete pass that was out of bounds, or an overthrow. I realized that if my reciever is breaking down the left side and has a step on the cover man, I didn't have to "lead" him at all, just leave the left analog stick alone and just hit the button. Your receiver will catch the ball ahead of the defender. I was "leading" the receiver (pushing up on the analog stick before the QB released the ball) too much and even wide open recievers were being overthrown. However, what I noticed is that my really, really fast receivers were able to catch up with these passes. So....adjust your depth chart so that your really fast receivers are the ones running the fly routes (usually put them at the top of the depth chart) and use your good hands guy to run the underneath stuff (put him second on the depth chart). Your really fast receivers will catch up to balls that lead them when using maximum passing while the slower guys will see the ball overthrown. When throwing a sideline out pattern, usually do not lead the receiver by pushing right or left on the analog control stick. It usually ends up with the receiver catching the ball, but unable to get both feet in bounds to complete the play.

If you have a fast receiver in tight coverage, always lead him on the pass. Chances are he will break away and catch the ball but even if he doesn't, you will probably overthrow the defender as well (assuming the safety isn't coming over for the double coverage).

I was overthrowing my backs coming out of the backfield a lot until I resisted the urge to "lead" these guys too. If they are WIDE open, sometimes I will actually push the analog stick in the opposite direction of the receiver to insure the ball isn't overthrown so I can complete the pass.

*Does holding the analog stick forward or back control how high the ball is thrown? So for an out pattern I should hold up-and-to-the-left to throw the ball over my WR's shoulder? Or just left? Will pulling the stick back towards me result in a low pass?
In my experience? NO. The only way to control trajectory is by the hardness with which you push the pass button. Push it hard, the QB will throw a low bullet. Just touch the button and he'll throw a nice, high, soft rainbow.

For example, a screen out of the backfield to a receiver in the flat would warrant a hard bullet, so he can race ahead of the closing linebacker. A screen that develops in front of the line of scrimage would warrant a touch pass that would float over the advancing D-Lineman coming in for the sack.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on these points.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
In my experience? NO. The only way to control trajectory is by the hardness with which you push the pass button. Push it hard, the QB will throw a low bullet. Just touch the button and he'll throw a nice, high, soft rainbow.
Evan,

This is correct. If you push up on the analog stick, you will throw the pass more up field, if you press down, you will throw it so the WR has to come back for the ball. The only time I press up on the analog stick is one I am throwing a fade pass.

-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
It seems like my trash-talkin' has built me a up a bit of a rep. I hope I can live up to it. :)
I know the 1st team that beats me is going to be bragging big time, and that is fine by me. :)
-Dean-

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Evan, that's great information! I experimented a bit with Maximum Passing last night in a game against my nephew. The result? 7 interceptions. :frowning: Clearly my technique needs work. I will take your feedback to the practice field to see if I can develop some touch.
I was also whistled for pass interference 5 times in that game, most of the time on 3rd and long giving him a free first down. This happened both when I switched control to the DB and when I let the computer try to control it. I normally play my backfield in zone coverage (I'd appreciate everyone forgetting that little nugget when the league starts up :))...is this more susceptible to interference calls or something? There's nothing more frustrating than to have two good defensive stops, and then to give up a free first down on 3rd and long. I am playing with the Chargers, who have the 7th rated pass defense, so I'm confused as to why I keep getting whistled. Probably just one of those things, eh? Grrr...
Dean, I'm glad you didn't take offense to my little joke...I was just having some fun with some of the comments I've read in other threads. :wink:

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Dean, I'm glad you didn't take offense to my little joke...I was just having some fun with some of the comments I've read in other threads.
Take offense? I was repulsed, I am so angry that I could just....... who the hell am i kidding, I was actually flattered. :b

-Dean-

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I skimmed through the manual a couple of times and I don't remember being able to find anything on what maximum passing did. So basically when the menu comes up and you have a choice to use maximum passing, I go sure, WTH, supersize that sucker.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Anyone know what the deal is with pressing Y on defense to put your hands up? I can't get this to work at all...

In practice mode (special moves) it works, but not during a game...

Also, I have been playing around with on-the-fly assignments on defense...the manual (aweful BTW) states that you select your player to change then push "DOWN" on the R joystick...this means pressing it like a button, right? If you want to adjust where the defense is on the field, you push the joystick upward or downward right?

Just needing someone to help me understand...

Thanks!

-Mike

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Michael, keep practicing. The Y button works very well for me on defense. I usually use a linebacker and move him into coverage on third and long plays. Sometimes I guess right and the QB throws it in my direction. Ray Lewis has 3 INT's in three games using this technique and timing the Y button correctly. On replays you can clearly see him putting his arms up for the catch. It works for me, you are probably just hitting it a shade too late.

As for the right analog stick...choose a defender and press down on the stick (like a button) and that defender will blitz. I don't know how to adjust positioning however.

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
This is a great thread since I switched to the 2K series this year over Madden (online play on the Xbox being the number one factor, plus I like the graphics better).

The manual is horrendous! I had no idea what maximum passing was after reading it. So without it, can you not lead receivers at all? I am also having problems with the touch on my passes. In the heat of the moment I keep throwing bullets.

***HOW THE HECK DO YOU CALL A FAIR CATCH OR TAKE A KNEE IN THE END ZONE AFTER RECEIVING A KICK OFF?!!! NOT BEING ABLE TO IS ANNOYING ME TO NO END! My guy keeps running out of the end zone and I get pummeled! I can't find any mention in the manual.***

Thanks for the help.

Steve Iseman

Agent
I could not find a lot of things in the manual either. It took me a while to figure out how to pass rush. Apparently if you hold the turbo button down before the snap then you'll have the ability to perform a variety of pass rush moves.

Hold left trigger and press B = Spin move left
Hold right trigger and press B = spin move right

Hold left trigger and press Y = swim move left
Hold right trigger and press Y = swin move right

Hold left trigger and press X = bull rush left
Hold right trigger and press X = bull rush right

If you have trouble tackling the CPU running back try powering up your turbo meter and then tackle him.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
If you have trouble tackling the CPU running back try powering up your turbo meter and then tackle him.
This TOTALLY works. Using Ray Lewis, I "powered up" just before leveling Corey Dillon one play. I broke his arm. Goodbye for 7 weeks Mr. Dillon!

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I actually mashed buttons and finally figured out the Y button is used for taking a knee. This pass rushing thing is news to me though. Honestly, can Sega have written a worse manual?

I haven't really gotten to the point where I'm good enough to worry about charging the meter. Maybe I should though, I want to break Emmitt Smith when I play him with LaVar (I would never wish that upon Smith in real life). And speaking of LaVar, can I create a player called Arrington with the same everything (except the hair) and pick him up instead of using the default Linebacker 1?. I haven't looked into the handy manual on how I might go about doing this in the easiest manner. I am assuming it's not as simple as changing Linebacker 1's name...

Does hurdling help with the running game? I am averaging like 3-4 yards with Stephen Davis, and only because I break off some big runs. I usually get 2 yards a carry...

One thing that sucks for newbies like me is if you're not familiar with the playbook, it takes forever to look for a specific play. I've been pressing the A button to get the recommended play, and if I don't like it I keep trying until something I like pops up. Otherwise I get delay of game penalties like it's my job. How long has it taken you guys to learn the playbooks? I need to learn the Skins' and Raiders' playbooks, and I think with everything else I'm trying to get straight it's going to take forever. Oh well, hopefully by the time Xbox live is up...

I need to get the timing of the kicking down, too. I almost blew my season opener against the Cardinals because I missed a FG at the end of regulation with the game tied. Thank goodness the Redskins D is pretty good. 1-1 baby (stupid Eagles!)...

D'oh, this post ended up being longer than I expected...

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Well I'm now 0-3 in my season. Lost to the pathetic Texans and the lowly Cardinals, as well as to the Bengals and their "Nothing short of Kryptonite will bring me down" back, Dillon. I have spent lots of time on the practice field, trying to figure out the timing of my passing routes and working on juking at just the right time to avoid a tackle in the running game. All to no avail. Last night's game against the Cards summed it up perfectly--they completed short pass after short pass no matter what defense I picked, had no problems running up the gut even though I stacked the middle with inside linebacker blitzes, and I was unable to move the ball against them at all. They dropped my RB for minimal gains, batted down all my passes, even the ones I had worked on to get the timing down on, and even sacked my QB a few times. I was able to move the ball enough to score a few field goals, but I still lost 20-9. Did I mention this was to the CARDINALS?!?!? :angry:
Well, back to the practice field for me, I guess. I adjusted my depth charts as suggested, putting my best receiver in the first slot and my second best receiver (freaking Tim Dwight, how scary is that? :)) in the second slot, but on most formations I found that some stone-hands chump was lined up on the outside where I was hoping Conway would be, while Conway (my #1 guy) was usually in the slot, or not on the field at all! I guess I need to fiddle around with the depth chart so that Conway and Dwight are on the outsides, because most of my passes are fade or out patterns and I'm tired of seeing them bounce off the paws of Joe Butterfingers.
One more question for the pros: my nephew's favorite tactic is to take about a 20 step drop and then hurl it all the way down the field to Keyshawn Johnson. Now, in Fever this would be deadly, but I would expect that to be picked 50% of the time in 2K3. Uh, no. No matter how many DBs I have swarming around the spot where the ball is going to land, no matter how much I jump to try to bat the ball down as it descends, his receiver ends up hauling it in at least 60% of the time for a big gain. I have yet to pick it off once. And when he doesn't catch it, more often than not I get whistled for interference because the pass takes so long to get to the spot that I've got at least a corner and two safeties jostling for position. I can't seem to bat or pick off the ball at all...should I just let the CPU control my DBs in this situation? Or maybe let Keyshawn catch it and then drill him with a charged-up dive to make him drop it? (Still seems risky...)

BenS

Stunt Coordinator

Yes you can and its actually qutie easy just go into the create a player screen and create your player that you want go into the roster screen add him from the free agents onto the roster of your specific team. Then create a franchise with the team you put him on and he will be there with a contract and everything already done for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks